Analysis Is Rocky the Right Man for the Job?

Is Rocky the Right Man for the Job?

• Yes

Votes: 68 28.3%
  • No

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • I'm not sure...

Votes: 33 13.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see any issue with any of the lads being out on Monday having a few drinks after Leppa has been given the boot. A pretty natural occurrence particularly on the Monday after your last game of the year. They are real people not robots FFS.

Uncontracted player at the tail end of his career vs. contracted captain. Jed was told he would be playing twos to help develop our young kids, not because he refused to agree to a trade and they don't like him anymore. Not comparable IMO. There is simply no way we 'de-list' him in any scenario, ignoring the fact you can't actually de-list a player who is contracted.
No, he was told he "wouldn't be guaranteed senior games" . The situations are different, but the message would be the same; not a required player.
Again, a hypothetical.

I wanted Leppa removed and I think that, if Rockliff is a poor influence on the group, we need to move him on too.

I take no pleasure in either situation and, as with Leppa, am more than happy to change my view based on more information or the views of those more informed than me.

If I am wrong and Rockliff successfully leads a unified group next year, I would be ecstatic.

This absolutely sums up my point of view also.

I wanted Leppa removed and I think that, if Rockliff is a poor influence on the group, we need to move him on too.

I take no pleasure in either situation and, as with Leppa, am more than happy to change my view based on more information or the views of those more informed than me.

If I am wrong and Rockliff successfully leads a unified group next year, I would be ecstatic.

How do we move him on if he doesn't want to go?

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...k=dcfeed380185ad74f14aafb42a35767b-1472958095

Rockliff received a restrained rather than rousing round of applause when he collected his award.

Zorko and Rockliff had a falling out in 2015 but have made peace.

Zorko conceded Rockliff’s captaincy can ruffle feathers.

“I throw my full support behind him. As far as I am concerned Tom Rockliff is our captain and I stand by him fully,’’ Zorko said.

“I understand Tom’s captaincy has come under a little bit of scrutiny in the way he leads. I think he’s the right man to lead this club.

“I think Tom just hits blokes between the eyes.

“I understand there’s a generation that’s kind of passed where you can no longer hit players between the eyes … but I absolutely love the way he leads.

“The passion that he has for the club and the care that he has for his players, it really is first-class … the players love Tom.’’

Zorko also conceded the club’s senior players had failed to maintain high standards in 2016.

“In patches, our senior players were very inconsistent. When our senior players fired, our team seemed to go extremely well,’’ he said.

“All of our wins (a club record low of three) were due to our senior players really stepping up … the senior players were definitely a lot more inconsistent than what they’ve probably been.’’

It would if we actually want to get some value for him.

I mean be honest with Tom not with the rest of the AFL world.

How?.....ATM I read a bit a bit of speculation on here ...I'm not seeing anything to suggest that we want to move him on...

Tom will know if the rumours are true. Be honest. Say he will be losing the Captaincy and we won't be extending his contract. We feel it will be best for both parties if we move you on now. It isn't pretty but he is a grown man who should see it as an opportunity to move to a club closer to success.

Perhaps the players are professional enough to vote for the best player. Which obviously is Rockliff.

Thought the same. He was our best player in a number of beltings.

On his leadership, I have no problem whatsoever with the 'direct' approach. In my own line of work some of the best yet least liked operators work this way. The thing is though if you take that route you need to make extra sure your own work stands up to scrutiny and some sources say that Rocky's doesn't.

We are going around in circles though as this discussion has been had a few times now. Oh well.

I mean be honest with Tom not with the rest of the AFL world.

Tom will know if the rumours are true. Be honest. Say he will be losing the Captaincy and we won't be extending his contract. We feel it will be best for both parties if we move you on now. It isn't pretty but he is a grown man who should see it as an opportunity to move to a club closer to success.

Why are we taking the captaincy off him again?...Just been voted the players player.. He's a FA end of next season and if things are as bad as the gossip suggests then he'd leave then.....Is the plan we're banking on getting more for him now..than FA compensation and we're hoping he sees that too?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rocky got players player award - voted for the by the players. Who, according to gossip, don't want at their club. Wish they could stick to the script cause this seems to imply that they ar OK with him.
Yeah its funny aye. Alot on here are up in arms and want rocky gone on a few speculative rumours some are taking as gospel.

Bloke does everything he can for the footy club. Has played all year hindered. Still was one of our top 3-5 players this year.

I am more then willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. No one would care if we where winning.

Some egg on a few guys faces in here after last night, hopefully they will now stop assassinating Rocky's character and we can all move on.

Rockliff was rightly voted by the players as the best player, not the best character.

I don't believe anyone on here has truly stated that he may be on the outer due to his performances on field.

Rockliff was rightly voted by the players as the best player, not the best character.

I don't believe anyone on here has truly stated that he may be on the outer due to his performances on field.
The players voting for Rocky is as clear as an endorsement as you could ever get of his character - if he wasn't well liked by the playing group he'd be no chance for such an award. I'll take that every day of the week than a handful of individuals hiding behind there computer spreading gossip and are in fact too gutless to even post what he's supposedly done and would rather people speculate that he has drug, alcohol problems, etc. Quite frankly its disgusting.

There was 0 suggestion Leppa had professional or personal conduct issues. "Exact things" is far from correct.

I think people mis understood what I was trying to say. The content is different and not comparable, its just with Leppa - one side where rolling with the 'where theres smoke there's fire' angle and the other side where saying 'not enough to be sure'... now (generally speaking) the same crew who have issues with Rocky are rolling the 'where theres smoke' angle with rocky.. and the other side is saying 'there's nor enough smoke to be sure'.. not even that bad really, just incidental that the same argument is happening on each side.

Sorry if I offended, I love this discussion and am myself.. 50/50 on Rocky, probley leaning toward 'fresh start is needed'..

Please. There's no Bigfooty people in the know. We're all just a bunch of supporters, some who want to feel valued more than others. I think I'll trust the club on these issues, more than a supporter forum and I definitely won't be crucifying players over one or two media reports from proven gutter journalists.

FWIW

367bfdf04925024ffe4e22252b33e533a4b77ede146dbcfb985e332d0bcfd8c8.jpg

and when it comes to the lions, am quite happy to admit it. I do think that there are some who have a firmer grasp on things than others and it is worth seeking out and digesting what they have to say.

To say i trusted the club would be a stretch, however.

The players voting for Rocky is as clear as an endorsement as you could ever get of his character - if he wasn't well liked by the playing group he'd be no chance for such an award. I'll take that every day of the week than a handful of individuals hiding behind there computer spreading gossip and are in fact too gutless to even post what he's supposedly done and would rather people speculate that he has drug, alcohol problems, etc. Quite frankly its disgusting.

You'll notice that journalists aren't explaining things in great detail either - there can be legal implications for making public statements whether true or not that may degrade a person's character.

It wasn't a popularity competition, it was a performance competition. Rockliff had a solid year, so whether he's liked or not, I'd consider our players professional enough to vote for how well someone played in a game and not take their possible personality conflicts into that vote.

The other thing I'd say is just because you haven't been privy to any private discussion about what these issues may be, doesn't mean that they don't exist.

We will all draw our own conclusions and you don't have to believe anything anyone says on here, but I would say that the people who have mentioned that problems may exist aren't exactly the types who make shit up.

Why are we taking the captaincy off him again?...Just been voted the players player.. He's a FA end of next season and if things are as bad as the gossip suggests then he'd leave then.....Is the plan we're banking on getting more for him now..than FA compensation and we're hoping he sees that too?
Why?? Well there is a lot of smoke in regards to his leadership. If it's true he shouldn't have the captaincy.

'Leppa isn't a good coach / Leppa isn't a bad coach' was the position in that discussion, I think.

This is not 'Rockliff is a good player / Rockliff is a bad player'.

The guy is factually a great player.

Yeah more meant the 'smoke is fire' angles, didnt explain it well. Defs no similarities in the content.

Wouldn't put too much weight in public endorsements. Those who have passed comment are true clubmen, for whom protection of the club comes first. Whatever may or may not have gone down in the past or continues, none are going to publicly slam the captain or anyone else at the club. None had a public bad word for Leppa either, remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back