Analysis Is Rocky the Right Man for the Job?

Is Rocky the Right Man for the Job?

• Yes

Votes: 68 28.3%
  • No

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • I'm not sure...

Votes: 33 13.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rockliff was rightly voted by the players as the best player, not the best character.

I don't believe anyone on here has truly stated that he may be on the outer due to his performances on field.

Players player is not necessatily a best player award. Players geneally vote based more on their opinion of a team mates' effort, commitment and ability to play a role rather just purely on performance. A lot of the time they do go hand in hand however.

Rockliff had a reasonable season but if the players were voting purely on who the best player was it was clearly Zorko followed by Robinson.

So this logic that they voted for the best player doesn't make sense.

Players player is not necessatily a best player award. Players geneally vote based more on their opinion of a team mates' effort, commitment and ability to play a role rather just purely on performance. A lot of the time they do go hand in hand however.

Rockliff had a reasonable season but if the players were voting purely on who the best player was it was clearly Zorko followed by Robinson.

So this logic that they voted for the best player doesn't make sense.

Ok so the player that they felt put in plenty of "effort, commitment and ability to play a role". Absolutely nobody is suggesting the guy is 'no good' on-field.

Again - it's not a "who do we like personally" vote.

Ok so the player that they felt put in plenty of "effort, commitment and ability to play a role". Absolutely nobody is suggesting the guy is 'no good' on-field.

On the surface I would assume 'players player' means the player who the players value you the most, contribution being on field and probley more so off field.. but might be wrong. I attach it more to best team mate, than over all player.

Does anyone know how these are voted on? If they are voted after each round, then it is on a game by game impact basis as opposed to a general year long assessment of someone as a whole. And while those voting for B&F use one set of criteria, players voting for other players another. Zorko for example wouldn't vote for himself even if allowed, so that's a heap of votes for someone else for starters.

On the surface I would assume 'players player' means the player who the players value you the most, contribution being on field and probley more so off field.. but might be wrong. I attach it more to best team mate, than over all player.

Spot on. Any sporting organisation I know of this is how it has been judged.

Players player is not a best player award mate, it's basically the player that was most respected by his peers - I think you are missing the crux of what the award is about. If the players were voting for best player they would have voted for Zorko as I said in my last post.

Does anyone know how these are voted on? If they are voted after each round, then it is on a game by game impact basis as opposed to a general year long assessment of someone as a whole. And while those voting for B&F use one set of criteria, players voting for other players another. Zorko for example wouldn't vote for himself even if allowed, so that's a heap of votes for someone else for starters.

Same as the Member's player of the year I believe. Round by round.

Players player is not a best player award mate, it's basically the player that was most respected by his peers - I think you are missing the crux of what the award is about. If the players were voting for best player they would have voted for Zorko as I said in my last post.

Actually I think you're getting too caught up in the name of the award. I believe it is done the same way as the B&F (match committee vote) and member's player of the year (member vote) in that it is done as a round by round vote.

It's as below:

Fwiw, the way the Player's Player award works is the players pick one bloke out as PP for each week, and whoever runs up the most of these across the season wins the year-end gong.

I'll repeat, the players player award is to the player who has received the most 'best player' nominations (as voted by the players) in individual games across the season.

And there we have it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rockliff was rightly voted by the players as the best player, not the best character.

I don't believe anyone on here has truly stated that he may be on the outer due to his performances on field.

Sounds like you know the voting criteria.

Is this something clearly stipulated when players vote from week to week?

Actually I think you're getting too caught up in the name of the award. I believe it is done the same way as the B&F (match committee vote) and member's player of the year (member vote) in that it is done as a round by round vote.

No I am quite aware of the way it's voted on. Pretty much the same as most sporting clubs that I am aware of.

And as it's voted for by the players and not an independent third party, first hand knowledge of your team character comes a lot more into bias.
This is a bit of a reach Swanny. He was voted as the best player for each of those matches in the moment. It's hard to see how bias will impact on that granular level.

Best player. Not favourite player.
Players player and fan's player is a perception of who had a good game in the eyes of voters.
The B&F has a much wider criteria. The 3 are not the same.

This is a bit of a reach Swanny. He was voted as the best player for each of those matches in the moment. It's hard to see how bias will impact on that granular level.

If it comes to a close call - say 3-4 players are subjectively could be the best player on any given day (which was most often the case)- it would be naive to think otherwise.

Best player. Not favourite player.
Players player and fan's player is a perception of who had a good game in the eyes of voters.
The B&F has a much wider criteria. The 3 are not the same.

I can see there are some here that can't grasp the concept that one rubs off on the other to a point particularly for players vote as they know each other on a personal level.

I've made my point if you wish to ignore it then that's fine.

All these arguments aside, even if the entire group now feels that Rocky is a swell guy and are liking the way he "goes about it" (thanks Darce), it is not necessarily relevant to whether he is right to lead the team.
There have been plenty of discussions about skill, fitness and cultural standards across the board, so maybe, just maybe, those standards aren't being met or shown by way of example by the leadership group. Not all players will care if standards are not high. Not all players will care if others have copped a raw deal from their skipper.
We'll wait and see, I guess, what the club and coaches propose going forward.

If it comes to a close call - say 3-4 players are subjectively could be the best player on any given day (which was most often the case)- it would be naive to think otherwise.
I also think it's possible to not be massively or widely unpopular but still be bad for the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back