Is Steve Johnson gone

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Apparently Steve is in doubt for this week.If he misses it would be in out in out. The man seems to have never had a solid run since his fence advetures, I wonder if he will ever get back to playing solid football is he now going to join the likes Lynch as a very talanted footballer never to reach the level his talent indicated he would.
Maybe we should have looked at sombody like Sherman in last years draft, similar to Steve, a natural forward, bit a goal sneak and has stepped straight up into the Lions side

Let's not go overboard.

He's had two self-inflicted injuries which have seen him playing catchup for two years, this on top of being a smoker and naturally lazy was always going to make it hard for him to have a consistent impact this year.

Hopefully he matures a bit in the offseason, but either way a full pre-season next year will do him wonders.

Turbocat said:
Apparently Steve is in doubt for this week.If he misses it would be in out in out. The man seems to have never had a solid run since his fence advetures, I wonder if he will ever get back to playing solid football is he now going to join the likes Lynch as a very talanted footballer never to reach the level his talent indicated he would.
Maybe we should have looked at sombody like Sherman in last years draft, similar to Steve, a natural forward, bit a goal sneak and has stepped straight up into the Lions side

I think even you know the answer to this one.

nananana catman said:
I think even you know the answer to this one.

Pardon, what excactly are you saying Nana.

I ask a question. Yes it may be premature but its rare that players suddenly become resiliant after seasons of intreuptions. I dont see GAJ, Bartel or others having bad starts to nearly every year, missing the start of the season and playing catchup, Phats points about being a smoker and being lazy only add emphasis to my initial querry. I like him as a player however I dont feel our forwardline is talanted enough to have him being a wasted talant.Its not the old days when it mattered not if Lindner was a miss or hit because we were flush with forwards, it hurts us when he not playing.
This is why I raised Sherman , I dont see a lot players of his like on our list. Do you disagree? How many midfielder types have we that have kicked three goals in a game?

i spoke to him personally yesterday at an after function,
he didnt play because of tightness in his calf - nothing to do with ankles
but he is feeling fine now and will definately play next week

Bartel'sNo1Fan said:
i spoke to him personally yesterday at an after function,
he didnt play because of tightness in his calf - nothing to do with ankles
but he is feeling fine now and will definately play next week

It was mentioned on KROCK that he'd probably have these minor injuries because he had no pre-season.

Turbocat said:
Pardon, what excactly are you saying Nana.

This is why I raised Sherman , I dont see a lot players of his like on our list. Do you disagree? How many midfielder types have we that have kicked three goals in a game?

How many games has Sherman played? David Clarke kicked 3 goals in one of his early games. Get back to me when he does it consistently for a while. Steve Johnson is one of our most talented players. Many of the forwards on our list couldnt hold a candle to him and I dare say he has been rushed back into the team a tad prematurely because of this and is now paying the price.

nananana catman said:
How many games has Sherman played? David Clarke kicked 3 goals in one of his early games. Get back to me when he does it consistently for a while. Steve Johnson is one of our most talented players. Many of the forwards on our list couldnt hold a candle to him and I dare say he has been rushed back into the team a tad prematurely because of this and is now paying the price.

Fair comment on Steve. However from what Ive seen Sherman would have been handy in the Hoops.As you say we dont have many of his talent or in fact like him. Yes maybe the three goal thing is not excact mesurement, Thurley might have got three the other night but its more the way they get them. Thurley could be handy as he will continue convert chances but I wonder how many he will create.

nananana catman said:
How many games has Sherman played? David Clarke kicked 3 goals in one of his early games.

liking sherman to clarke is absurd - sherman will be the next michael voss, and i reckon he will captian brisbane later in his career (hopefully when Johno Brown walks out on the club to finish his career with the cats)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tenderwarrior said:
liking sherman to clarke is absurd - sherman will be the next michael voss, and i reckon he will captian brisbane later in his career (hopefully when Johno Brown walks out on the club to finish his career with the cats)

No its not, all i'm saying is you cant really judge a player who has played about 5 games and extend that to what he will do over his whole Career. Using the logic that is being implied I could say Cameron Thurley will average 2 goals a game over his entire career.

Sherman the next Voss? If that happens, I owe you a coke.

In my opinion Steve Johnson is our best forward. Very smart and hard at the ball.One area he could improve is when he gets a real hard and close tag he struggles to break it but i am sure that will improve with experiance and coaching. I find it hard to believe that he is a smoker.

nananana catman said:
.... I could say Cameron Thurley will average 2 goals a game over his entire career.
You certinaly could and you may well be right, as I suspect Thruley is alot closer to the end of his career than Thurley, who may have already reached it.

I think this is the most idiotic comment i have heard for a while, steve johnson is a genius he does some very freakish stuff and if we got rid of him i would be expecting something pretty bloody good.

Let's not forget he hasn't had a full pre-season 2 years in a row.

Steven King's the same. It's a huge disadvantage not having one. The aim of the pre-seaon is to get fit, and during the season maintain it. Right now, they're both playing catch-up.

I didn't know he was a smoker though, is that true?

Turbocat said:
What this , the third time out , crook ankles again or is it something else this time? The guys has talent but boy......you do have to wonder

The bloke hasn't had a pre-season since 2003, you can't expect him to be injury free.

Anyone have an idea about what his injury concerns are? Perhaps it will be better to just rest him and maybe give him half games in the VFL until he can consistently play. This is what happened last year and I'm pretty sure he didn't miss a game after he came back. While he's a great player, it's not like we can't replace him with Gardiner, Thurley and Mackie.

Phat said:
The bloke hasn't had a pre-season since 2003, you can't expect him to be injury free.

Does that mean I have to expect this yoyo effect.Injury free? How about not injury plagued. Leave him out, let him get a base without playing if you think thats the issue but he's starting to look like hes the cardboard player thats easily bent if not broken. If our depth is as good as we think its , lets get him right for Aug, when we will need him

Turbocat said:
Does that mean I have to expect this yoyo effect.Injury free? How about not injury plagued. Leave him out, let him get a base without playing if you think thats the issue but he's starting to look like hes the cardboard player thats easily bent if not broken. If our depth is as good as we think its , lets get him right for Aug, when we will need him

When a player has missed two pre-seasons and hasn't got a good fitness base to start with, no amount of rest or training is going to prevent injury.

When you're coming from the handicap Dog is coming from this year, you can't establish a base in a matter of weeks. Need a whole pre-season.

So the options are either shelf him for the rest of the season, or ride him hard when he's not hurt.
I'd rather 10 on-off games from Dog than nothing.

Bottom line, his issues can't be solved until he does a pre-season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Steve Johnson gone

Remove this Banner Ad

Back