Is the end of geelong run!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this the end of Geelong run who knows. Just like Sydney and most of all West Coast before them there was talk that West Coast would have a run of at least 3 or 4 premiership but only won one.

Wouldn't bet on it - too many good players to see them not having a few more good years.

As others have said before its all about what is going to happen mentally with the players. The coach can keep coming up with the plans all he likes but if the players dont get into gear mentally, they wont be a threat.

Geelong reminds me a little of WCE from a few years back.

With everyone playing dumb about their forward line.

Both teams rely on their mids to help them kick alot of their goals.
Both teams benefit from gun midfielders delivering the ball to their serviceable but not great forward line.
Both teams declared a "dynasty".
Q Lynch = C Mooney
T Lonergan = A Hansen

And both sides have a raft of players that people think are stars but are/were carried by their much better teammates.

Let's call it the Des Headland Principle.

It's hard to tell what kind of effect this kind of game could have on a team. On paper, I still think they're the best team in the comp, they just have so much talent there and they are by no means an old team.

On one hand, they could come out firing next year, wanting desperately to atone for what was really a waste of opportunity after a season that promised so much. If they can find a key position forward, get rid of some of the deadwood in the forwardline and see the return of Egan down back, then I think they could still be a force to be reckoned with.

On the other hand, this loss might knock a lot of confidence out of the team, and when there's doubt in your mind your form usually suffers. I don't think we would see a dramatic slump, but when you're mentally fragile you can drop a fair way.

Geelong reminds me a little of WCE from a few years back.

With everyone playing dumb about their forward line.

Both teams rely on their mids to help them kick alot of their goals.
Both teams benefit from gun midfielders delivering the ball to their serviceable but not great forward line.
Both teams declared a "dynasty".
Q Lynch = C Mooney
T Lonergan = A Hansen

good post

everyone had us tabbed as a dynasty and then it all went to sh*t

Geelong may have a stable looking list but their confidence will be shattered and all they need is a few bad injuries and they will be in trouble.

How can a team go from winning 23 from 25 starts to be an over-rated mess that will crumble in the future ??

Faarrrk me dead ..............

The Cats will be even harder to beat next year because of what happened yesterday.

And you don't lose talent overnight, they'll be just as good next year.

They have to change their game plan. If they do they wont win 21 games 23 games next year.

And both sides have a raft of players that people think are stars but are/were carried by their much better teammates.

Let's call it the Des Headland Principle.

Love it.

How many players over the years have been labeled stars by the media when the team was flying and then fallen flat when the going gets tough? Needs it's own thread...

Is this the end of Geelong run who knows. Just like Sydney and most of all West Coast before them there was talk that West Coast would have a run of at least 3 or 4 premiership but only won one.

Geelong have a few more years of finals in front of them whether they can snag another flag will depend on injuries/luck with list management. The fact that they have had two pretty much injury free years doesn’t give me a lot of confidence going into 09/10 that they will be able to keep it up, lady luck always turns in this game particular when you have had a couple of long years back to back.

Shame that most of our good players are in the 23-26 age bracket then, isn't it? :p

Don't know how you work that out.

Mooney, Scarlett, Milburn, Ottens, Harley, Rooke, Wojynski and Chapman are all 28 plus.

Enright and Ling are 28 next year. Hunt and Corey turn 27. Even Steve Johnson will be 26.

Thats a big proportion of the side over 26 and they are all important players to the team.

I'm no great believer in the youth is king philosophy that seems to permeate footy these days however the first group must be a concern because the facts are they most probably are not going to get any better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How can a team go from winning 23 from 25 starts to be an over-rated mess that will crumble in the future ??

Faarrrk me dead ..............

The Cats will be even harder to beat next year because of what happened yesterday.

And you don't lose talent overnight, they'll be just as good next year.

Thats what everyone said about West Coast and look what happen. Geelong will still be a good side next year but other teams are going to get better as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is the end of geelong run!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back