Is The Mcc On Drugs

Remove this Banner Ad

I pay nearly $200 a year as an Overseas Member, for which I receive absolutely no benefits whatsoever (barring the occasional emailed newsletter). No matches, no use of club facilities, nothing. Of course, I maintain this so as not to lose my membership on my eventual return to Aussie.

Now, I can understand that the club requires some sort of fee to maintain a membership (after all, that quarterly email must cost them a fortune to send:rolleyes:), but 50% of the full subs is pretty bloody excessive. It's not as if I am taking up the place of another potential member who is waiting in line - I'm sure the club factor in a certain proportion of Overseas Members each year and could adjust their new member figures accordingly.

I would have thought forty or fifty bucks would be adequate, and if the member happens to return to Australia during that same year can rejoin the main list by conceding that smaller fee as well as paying the rest of the normal subs pro rata with the amount of time remaining in that subscription year.

I Hear you loud and clear brother - i been a mcc member for 4 yrs and i just turned 20 and the prices are that disgraceful that i just walk over to the 7-11 across the road on the corner and buy something there - unveleivable but i must admit the mcc membership is a magnificent thing to have

You know things are pretty sad when 7-11 has cheaper food.

Oh FCS, stop whinging all of you.

The food prices in the MCC are the same as what they are in the rest of the ground. No one's forcing you to buy food at the ground. Bring in a sandwich yourself and a bottle of water, or whatever the hell you'd like to eat.

Schooners of full-strength Carlton Draught cost $5.60, IIRC. That's not much different to a city pub, and certainly cheaper than some venues. Again, if that's too much for your wallet, don't buy booze.

You pack of whingers are completely missing the point. At $504 for a full voting membership, the MCC represents some of the best value in the world. All cricket and footy games at the G for no extra cost on top of that membership. The best seats in the stadium, surrounded by the best facilities.

Cut-price tickets for special events at the G, like soccer internationals. I bet some of you paid your $20 or $30 for the Aus v Greece game, or the Argentina friendly. Did you happen to look up what the cost of the equivalent seats on the other side of the ground was? Well in excess of $100 and for level 2 seating, you're talking almost $200.

And how hard is it to put your card in a little plastic envelope, hook it around one of your belt loops and sit it in your pocket? That way, you pull it out and show the attendants when you head into level 2 seating, or the Frank Grey Smith bar. It's quicker for everyone concerned and helps with crowd management. It'll get you into bars quicker. The way some of you are carrying on, you'd think they were asking to you fill out a 20-question survey and fingerprint you.

With regard to pricing, the fact is they've got a captive market and they have to pay catering staff weekend rates to serve people in the reserve. Couple that with the fact that more facilities are open in the MCC reserve than in the general public areas and their overheads are higher.

If you can't come to terms with all that, then I suggest you let your membership lapse and let someone else - who'll actually appreciate what their membership offers them - take your place. It'll certainly make life easier for the rest of us.

The real tradegy is you now have to line up to get in the Frank Grey Smith. FFS it's not a nightclub & those blazers are worse than bouncers at the Motel...

Its an OHS issue. The bar was poorly designed, with the emergency exits not large enough to cover the number of patrons who can actually fit in the bar. Its not the fault of those on the door, blame the architects.

The good news is (a) there are plenty of other great bars and (b) once you get into th Frank Grey Smith, you at least have some elbow room.

Fair dinkum there are some whingers.

PS I'm not happy with having to wear my card in a plastic envelope - it no longer fits in my wallet so I'm a lot more likely to lose my card. But instead of whinging I'll do what most other members will do - simply ignore the requirement.

Thank god the high prices are finally starting to stop the riff raff from joining.

THe quality of the people in the members reserve has gone down considerably over the last 15-20 years or so. If things continue to go down hill I think it would be time they went back to only letting in people from private schools (or Melbourne high). Lets hope it doesnt get to that and the higher fees are enough to keep out the undesirables.

You would be one of the first to have their membership revoked considering you are from Dingley........

I pay nearly $200 a year as an Overseas Member, for which I receive absolutely no benefits whatsoever (barring the occasional emailed newsletter). No matches, no use of club facilities, nothing. Of course, I maintain this so as not to lose my membership on my eventual return to Aussie.

So IT DOES have a benefit..........

I don't understand why they don't charge more for the membership, the waiting list is a fair indication that it is too cheap...

Its a non profit organisation. They make plenty of dosh as it is to cover overheads and future development and have nothing to else spend it on.

If they charge more for membership, all they could do with the cash is spend it on the members, like, for example, cutting membership prices!!!

Now, I can understand that the club requires some sort of fee to maintain a membership (after all, that quarterly email must cost them a fortune to send:rolleyes:), but 50% of the full subs is pretty bloody excessive. It's not as if I am taking up the place of another potential member who is waiting in line - I'm sure the club factor in a certain proportion of Overseas Members each year and could adjust their new member figures accordingly.

I would have thought forty or fifty bucks would be adequate, and if the member happens to return to Australia during that same year can rejoin the main list by conceding that smaller fee as well as paying the rest of the normal subs pro rata with the amount of time remaining in that subscription year.

You know things are pretty sad when 7-11 has cheaper food.

Wow, 200 dollars - you poor dear
4 dollars a week to reserve your place on the list - boo ****ing hoo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats just pompous and pathetic. Clearly if you're there, you're the butt of your own jokes.
No it isnt pompous, just realistic. There is plenty of evidence, including two recent brawls, a hot dog found in a urinal, long hair on men, women wearing football jumpers and Melbourne supporters who know the players names.

PS. I am from Dingley, England. Not that scum place near Keysborough.

Oh FCS, stop whinging all of you.

The food prices in the MCC are the same as what they are in the rest of the ground. No one's forcing you to buy food at the ground. Bring in a sandwich yourself and a bottle of water, or whatever the hell you'd like to eat.

Schooners of full-strength Carlton Draught cost $5.60, IIRC. That's not much different to a city pub, and certainly cheaper than some venues. Again, if that's too much for your wallet, don't buy booze.

You pack of whingers are completely missing the point. At $504 for a full voting membership, the MCC represents some of the best value in the world. All cricket and footy games at the G for no extra cost on top of that membership. The best seats in the stadium, surrounded by the best facilities.

Cut-price tickets for special events at the G, like soccer internationals. I bet some of you paid your $20 or $30 for the Aus v Greece game, or the Argentina friendly. Did you happen to look up what the cost of the equivalent seats on the other side of the ground was? Well in excess of $100 and for level 2 seating, you're talking almost $200.

And how hard is it to put your card in a little plastic envelope, hook it around one of your belt loops and sit it in your pocket? That way, you pull it out and show the attendants when you head into level 2 seating, or the Frank Grey Smith bar. It's quicker for everyone concerned and helps with crowd management. It'll get you into bars quicker. The way some of you are carrying on, you'd think they were asking to you fill out a 20-question survey and fingerprint you.

With regard to pricing, the fact is they've got a captive market and they have to pay catering staff weekend rates to serve people in the reserve. Couple that with the fact that more facilities are open in the MCC reserve than in the general public areas and their overheads are higher.

If you can't come to terms with all that, then I suggest you let your membership lapse and let someone else - who'll actually appreciate what their membership offers them - take your place. It'll certainly make life easier for the rest of us.

Great post.

No it isnt pompous, just realistic. There is plenty of evidence, including two recent brawls, a hot dog found in a urinal, long hair on men, women wearing football jumpers and Melbourne supporters who know the players names.

PS. I am from Dingley, England. Not that scum place near Keysborough.

I laughed.

So members should tick these boxes:

Private education (though if you were a REAL traditionalist you'd refer to it as a PUBLIC school)

Owner of at least 1 yacht

Weekender at Lorne or Portsea (no Sorrento rubbish please)

A European vehicle (preferably a 4x4, Nissan Patrol and Toyota Landcruiser owners admitted on a case by case basis)

Understand the rules of Rugby, Croquet and Fox Hunting

Perhaps the reason that a 20/20 game is pricier is that there is a bigger demand for tickets. EG: AFL games have 16 teams, most of the MCC members would follow 1 of the 8 Melbourne based teams.

20/20 Matches involve Australia ...so the majority of MCC Members would all want to be going to the same game.

eh?

Its an OHS issue. The bar was poorly designed, with the emergency exits not large enough to cover the number of patrons who can actually fit in the bar. Its not the fault of those on the door, blame the architects.

FGS is the only decent 1 there, the Bullring is likend to drinking in a basement.

I was there in the Prelim & at Boxing Day, there was absolutely zero difference in the crowd there on Anzac Day, hardly any elbow room as you say so it's hardly an OHS issue.

It has hardly improved the space issue within the bar & all resolves around minimizing troubles. A MCC board member is in my family & they have been thinking about making the bar less accessable ever since Pies fans started smashing glasses!

Simple rule should exist within the MCC, if you didn't go to a private school in Kew, Toorak & Hawthorn then you shouldn't be admitted!

I was there in the Prelim & at Boxing Day, there was absolutely zero difference in the crowd there on Anzac Day, hardly any elbow room as you say so it's hardly an OHS issue.

I guarantee you, they limit the numbers in that bar because of OHS restrictions. Maybe getting in and out to remove troublemakers is part of that - and not just fire concerns , but its OHS all the same.

FGS is the only decent 1 there, the Bullring is likend to drinking in a basement.

Its the best, and the Bullring is the worst. But theres plenty of great bars in the atrium, and on the Ground floor, and out on the balconies overlooking the parks.

The best place to watch the footy from is your seat. If you're really concerned about how good the bars are, perhaps you should just go to a pub instead of going to the MCG.

Perhaps the reason that a 20/20 game is pricier is that there is a bigger demand for tickets. EG: AFL games have 16 teams, most of the MCC members would follow 1 of the 8 Melbourne based teams.

20/20 Matches involve Australia ...so the majority of MCC Members would all want to be going to the same game.

eh?

One of the 8?

Given the club of the 9 currently transers the most of its home games interstate is Hawthorn, I'm guessing you consider yourself an interstate supporter?

Jeez, one year after playing, what was it? 3 games per year, in Launny, you Sainters are happy to dish out the criticism.

While no fan of Hawthorn's I admire their admin's ability to leverage into Tassie in a way very few predicited could be done.

If you think that with the benefit of hindsight, the Saints wouldn't have done the same to effectively put their flag in Tassie and call it their own, then you are kidding yourself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is The Mcc On Drugs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back