Is the Wizard Cup an indicator of season form?

Remove this Banner Ad

benno87

Cancelled
Jun 1, 2003
London
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Many suggest losing out round one isn't a huge issue; which is a fair comment. But after watching Geelong and St Kilda do very well in 2004's Wizard Cup, then go on to just about do battle in the Grand Final, should we expect the same if two unsuspecting sides do well in this years Wizard Cup. Sides like Carlton, Western Bulldogs, Kangaroos, Collingwood. Do we expect them to step up a couple of notches in the season proper if they win a couple more in this knockout series?

I think it is better to play good footy than bad footy but a lot has to do with who you have available.

St Kilda was off the boil but a fair chunk of their spine was missing, particularly Gehrig whom I think is the most important players for the Saints.

We didn't play poorly last year, we had a narrow loss to the demons and had a pretty good series of practice matches and started the season well. The wheels fell off when our forward line stopped functioning but that is another story.

I think playing well in the WC gives players confidence, it is good for young players and mentally weak players, like McKernan, who rely so much on confidence but overall it shouldn't have a huge bearing.

It is hard to take too much out of it because a number of clubs do not take the competition seriously and field relatively weak or inexperienced sides which is fair enough if they have plans and expecation to be playing late into the season.

No! No! No! It's not! Hang on a sec, who do I barrack for again? :eek:
Mind you, last season Melbourne, Geelong and StKilda finished 3rd, 2nd and 1st. Most thought this was an aberration till they followed it up with a 5th, 4th and 3rd, two of them leading the comp at different points at least midway through the season or afterwards and the other one not dropping a game in it's home state from Rd2 until the PF.
Then again, how did Brisbane and Port fare in the cup? Well, Port lost to us; that should tell you something. And yes, Tredders did play...

I dont think its as clear cut as that. But I think there are specifics you can get out of it from even just one match. for instance

- Essendon. Their depth is questionable. any problems with LLoyd or Hird this year and theyre in trouble. They also have a major CHB problem.

- Bulldogs. People are praising them, but I thought they were very ordinary. Struggled against woeful opposition at full strength and it was a terrible standard. They might struggle again I think

- Hawks and Tigers. Again getting praise and rightfully so. But I saw 2 teams desperate to win doing so mainly on passion not ability. That lasts until round 6. Both were at relatively full strength.

- Saints. Port. WCE. Did it on the bit really. Never looked like losing for me. Good signs for the year.

- Brisbane. Still a great team based on what we know. But they wouldnt want a horror run of injuries to their stars. Their depth isnt great anymore.

- North. Shinboner spirit. Sorry but its true. Dont expect any different this year. They want to win every time they go out there. But that only gets you so far. Theyll be very tough tough as usual though.

- Geelong. Pies. Freo. Could go either way.

- Adelaide. Average.

Oc course all that could change in a week. ;)

No, it isn't a huge indicator of season form. Some teams set out to win the Wizard Cup (like Geelong and St Kilda did last year) while most clubs are in experimental stages, "Bummer Bashers" would probably disagree though.

i little bit, i would say by watching the hwaks in one match i would say that they are going to go this year!

bOmBeR_BoY1 said:
No, it isn't a huge indicator of season form. Some teams set out to win the Wizard Cup (like Geelong and St Kilda did last year) while most clubs are in experimental stages, "Bummer Bashers" would probably disagree though.
Agreed
I see it as a good chance to experiment with game plan and young players.

at best it allows clubs to experiment with players and gameplans for this season, the more settled teams will b ready right off the bat, but lets not get too carried away, we have a long way to go..

It depends.

Teams that do well in the Wizard Cup, also do well in the real thing. I believe that all of the finallists in the past four or five Wizard Cups have had subsequent (and maybe consequent) September action.

But doing poorly in the Wiz does NOT equate to a poor AFL season. I remeber driving from Sydney to Manuka Oval in 2002 to see Plugger attempt to drive Shane Wakelin through to China as the Swans did the Pies over by 80 points. Six months later the Pies were a Tarrant free kick away from a Premiership.

waterboy said:
The wizard cup will not be a ture indicator until all teams take it serious.

Surely all teams play to win, though? So in that sense they do take it seriously.

of course they play to win, but realistically depends on the cattle they are able to get on the field on the given day...

EG:bombers, put lloyd and hird back in that side not sure if the result would have been different (insult to the blues) but the scores would have been closer.....

EG;pies last year had 13 players that didnt play, this year about 5 regulars that didnt play....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Is the Wizard Cup an indicator of season form?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back