Opinion Is this the worst season of AFL in many a long while?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sure that this was the year that Aristotle kept telling us that Sydney Stack was finally going to show all and sundry that he was a better player than Sam Walsh.

No wonder that he is as disappointed that he has been in many long while.

Lack of quality top teams, lack of highlights, plenty of boring games, rule changes throughout the season, lack of drawcard players .

Bontempelli, Daicos, Harley Reid, Warner, Heeney, Cripps, Curnow, Merrett, TDK, Gulden .....

Richmond were not considered a 'quality top team' during the 2017 season. Sydney and a fit Collingwood will be as good as any teams going around in the last few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bontempelli, Daicos, Harley Reid, Warner, Heeney, Cripps, Curnow, Merrett, TDK, Gulden .....

Richmond were not considered a 'quality top team' during the 2017 season. Sydney and a fit Collingwood will be as good as any teams going around in the last few years.

This era is embarrassingly shallow of talent in comparison to 15 years ago.

Footy has been boring to watch for a few years now. Pretty much since covid. I watch less and less and when I do watch, get bored by half time.

But the season should ramp up a bit in the run home with how even it is

People really need to seperate their own team from sucking vs the whole season sucking from a neutral perspective.

The only poor season of recent times but for good reason was the Covid one, but that was eventuating circumstances. Even then there were lots of memorable moments and games.

I don’t think you will find any season devoid of stars and great highlights and this year is no exception.

If only there was some way to measure the public's approval...

afltab1.jpg

I remember when crowds were down in 2022, it was supposedly because the footy was so terrible (couldn't have been any other reason...).

And now that crowds are at an all-time high, it's also because the footy is so terrible?

Btw the best full year average was 38,423 in 2010 (boosted by 2 GFs), and this season is on track to achieve a greater figure without even needing finals.

Hmmn, attendances. Do fans flocking to grounds every week-
  • Do so to avoid the idiots at 7 or dills at at Fox/Murdoch?
  • Do so wondering how the Blues could finish higher than mid table
  • Want to say in half a century they’d seen the worst footy team since University
  • Go simply to observe how woeful umpiring is, knowing they will be treated to Citizen Kane later
I don’t know if the season is worse. Touch wood my Club has not experienced the 2023 levels of injury we did then.

The season seems to be providing some decent moments and games.

I think my mobs emphasis on run and gun, footy IQ and peerless kicking will influence recruitment and system design. Whether we make the top 4 or do well in the Finals, my Mob puts a smile on a few dials. That is not a bad thing.

Even the steady rise of Clubs like Carlton and the Dons isNot a bad thing. If nothing else everyone gets to look at them differently, even if some meanly laugh at the same time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back