Opinion Is this the worst season of AFL in many a long while?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep.

Even season does not equal good season necessarily.

Sydney is playing shithouse football and still sits a game clear.

I’ve always thought the best seasons have been the ones where there’s a 2-3 teams that are really good and you get some cracking contests that build up things for the finals run.

Theres none of that.
Every gane is an 8 pointer currently. Huge swings in momentum and higher scoring.

Been better than most seasons to be fair. Umpiring is still shit.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’ve been enjoying it tbh. Watching the GWS v Hawks game today and Hawthorn looked all but certain to nudge ahead of them on percentage to sit in 8th. 20 minutes later, GWS now sit 3rd. Crazy how close spots 1-9 are. I can’t remember a ladder being this reactive round to round. Watching this final series as a neutral observer will be interesting and genuinely anyone in the top 8 can win it, much like bulldogs of 16’

Best season ever imo. From the bye rounds to now it’s been a build up of excitement and unpredictability. It’s worth tuning into most games. Even North and Eagles games have been largely entertaining. Unlike prior years I would never watch a bottom 4 team unless it was to laugh at Carlton.

The quality of football is at an all time low.

Not sure about that. It’s definitely variable, and no one team has been consistently good across the season. But Sydney’s first block of performances were often electric to watch, teams like Carlton, Freo, Brisbane and a few others have had some outstanding games, and even my own team has remarkably looked quite impressive in the past month.

We don’t have a dynasty team performing at a consistently high level, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing for a season or two.

It’s been an extremely average year for your team, but never in the time I have been following VFL/AFL have I known a season to be so even and open. Even Swans who looked to be out on a limb on top are now looking shaky.
It might even and open but every team has been putrid for an extended length this season.

Nah, last few years was pretty horrid with COVID etc. Only good thing about the 2020 season was Richmond winning the flag, 21-23 weren't great either.

'24 while not great has been the best for for a few years (ignoring my own teams performance) and will only get better with the talent coming through the ranks.

Umpiring is a broken mess however and is the biggest problem in the game right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It might even and open but every team has been putrid for an extended length this season.
It depends on what rocks your socks. A year where one or two teams completely dominate the season with others just making up numbers, e.g., 2009, or a season where a team loses 5 of its first 6 games and is now premiership favourite, or where teams 1 - 8 on their day could go all the way. Richmond aside, we’ve had some very memorable nail biting games this year, 3 this weekend. Even Kangaroos v Pies was a ripper. I like it

Judge the season after the finals. One annoying thing about this season that finals won’t change was in the first half, just about every round was not a full set of matches due to teams having byes. Scrap ‘opening round.’ Start the season with a full round of games regardless of when it starts.

Richmond are crap therefore worst season,you really are the troll of all trolls.
It's nothing to do with Richnond. There are no dominant teams this year imo.
Which team is deserving of a premeirship? All the top 8 have been beaten by 12 goals at some stage.

It's nothing to do with Richnond. There are no dominant teams this year imo.
Which team is deserving of a premeirship? All the top 8 have been beaten by 12 goals at some stage.
The most ridiculous statement I've seen on here in a long time, it's more interesting with a stand out dominant team, rather then it being even and unpredictable 🙄 😉 😳

It was a crap year and it seems to get worse every year.

As a spectacle it gets harder to watch every year. I used to watch neutral games all weekend, now I can only watch Richmond games most of the time, and sometimes if I have another option I don't even bother (although I attend as many home games as I can).

Reasons I'm losing interest:
  • rule changes and tweaking are making the game less interesting
  • inability of the league to just allow incidental/football injuries to occur without punishing/suspending players makes the game look soft AF compared to NRL for example
  • talent spread across the league is poor - the country is either too small or we don't have the means of finding/nurturing enough talent to field 18 professional teams. Have said this before - game was in a better state with 16 teams, more talent per team, and less complex rules w more physicality

Used to be the kind of sport that internationals watched and thought was awesome. Now it's a joke.

Funny how Richmond supporters are bemoaning the quality of season 2024. Wonder why! Andyy complains the talent spread across the league is poor, yet it wasn't a problem when the Tigers won its premierships. And Aristotle Pickett complains there have been no dominant teams this year. Isn't that refreshing?

I cannot remember the last time we had to wait until 8.00pm on the Sunday of the final round to know what the final composition of the 8 would be. Tell me that is a bad thing

Funny how Richmond supporters are bemoaning the quality of season 2024. Wonder why! Andyy complains the talent spread across the league is poor, yet it wasn't a problem when the Tigers won its premierships. And Aristotle Pickett complains there have been no dominant teams this year. Isn't that refreshing?

I cannot remember the last time we had to wait until 8.00pm on the Sunday of the final round to know what the final composition of the 8 would be. Tell me that is a bad thing

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Is this the worst season of AFL in many a long while?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back