Opinion Is this the worst season of AFL in many a long while?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if it's just me but this season has been average in my opinion.
Not that many great marks or goals, not many high quality games. No real superstars apart from Bontompelli and Curnow .
Sydney seem to have a superior list to everyone else but they don't play an attractive brand.
Most of the teams in the top 8 are just ok teams.
Maybe for Richmond, but not for pretty much everyone else.

I have noticed a tendency to call eras with a few dominant teams, eras of good footy .

When the ladder is close, people view the footy as poor.

Like, the assumption is, if 3 teams dominate everyone else, they must be really really good. When maybe they are just decent, and everyone else is just bog average,

All teams look good when winning.

On SM-A346E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep, some say the periods 2009-2011 were the best because Geelong, Collingwood and St Kilda were dominant. But facts were there were a hell of a lot of big ordinary teams making up the rest and fodder for these three to pick up the 4 points.

Is this era when there are 9-10 teams that could win the flag better than that era?

From a neutrals view, the games are more even and entertaining. But the talent seems to have spread quite thin.

You could argue either way.
But I don’t see a real dynasty team in this current bunch.

Yep, some say the periods 2009-2011 were the best because Geelong, Collingwood and St Kilda were dominant. But facts were there were a hell of a lot of big ordinary teams making up the rest and fodder for these three to pick up the 4 points.

Is this era when there are 9-10 teams that could win the flag better than that era?

From a neutrals view, the games are more even and entertaining. But the talent seems to have spread quite thin.

You could argue either way.
But I don’t see a real dynasty team in this current bunch.
I think the op is a sore loser but it’s almost impossible to compare era’s.

One thing we can be certain is the talent isn’t spread thin. We have been at 18 teams for 12 years and in that time the population has increased 20%. The coaching and resources into the game are more than ever so not sure it is a lack of talent or the speed and more defensive training / coaching has lead to more forced errors.

I think the op is a sore loser but it’s almost impossible to compare era’s.

One thing we can be certain is the talent isn’t spread thin. We have been at 18 teams for 12 years and in that time the population has increased 20%. The coaching and resources into the game are more than ever so not sure it is a lack of talent or the speed and more defensive training / coaching has lead to more forced errors.
It's like offence and defence in wars. If offence is getting on top, people work to stop it.

A team may look fluid and smooth, because they transition the football in a way teams find hard to stop.

But they will eventually find a way.

So, if you don't see the same slick movement in a different era, it doesn't follow that they aren't as good at moving the ball, it may just mean they are playing teams better at shutting it down.

When teams get better, their defence gets better too.

Better teams therefore don't necessarily produce better looking football.

On SM-A346E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Games have seemed as good as ever, with the usual clunker thrown in. But, everything around the game appears to be at an all time low - MRP, umpiring, all of these silly 6 game bye weekends, tv commentary etc, etc.
0 Round was...not a good start to the season, either.

Yeah the ridiculous fixturing with round zero and staggered byes has been absurd.

Umpiring has been poor. With annoying overreactions and mid-season changes. Also a lot of dubious calls in crucial moments of games. Wish they would just umpire the season the way they do finals. It’s that much better IMO.

I also believe there is an all time high across the comp with injuries that also takes the shine off. You obviously want as many teams fielding their strongest squads as often as possible, which we’re not getting.

Good things are the evenness of the comp right now in that a win or a loss can see teams moving from 3rd to 13th or similar. Will be some huge games with big ramifications at the back end of the season.

If you're a Blues or Swans supporter you would think it's exciting, especially the Blues, but footy really isn't as interesting as it was 20-30 years ago. Obviously I found 2021 exciting and loved the ride (something Carlton supporters are experiencing now) and you can say that it's because the Demons have been poor that I'm just whingeing - but I felt this way even through 2022-23 when we were never out of the top four.

Footy just isn't the same game anymore, there really are very few acts of individual brilliance these days, the rivalries are confected and very vanilla, you don't see the big forwards kicking bags anymore, the game is very defensive/controlled and all the flair and intuition has been coached out of players. Then you have the circus that's surrounds the AFL and the corrupt executive pushing their agendas and it all just leaves a very sour taste. I used to watch as many games as I could but now I'll be lucky to last more than a quarter of a neutral game, most games I've watched have been when it's on when visiting a relo.

There's still the occasional entertaining game (I thought Footscray/Collingwood a few weeks back was good) and maybe it's just me but I find it all very meh at the moment.

If you're a Blues or Swans supporter you would think it's exciting, especially the Blues, but footy really isn't as interesting as it was 20-30 years ago. Obviously I found 2021 exciting and loved the ride (something Carlton supporters are experiencing now) and you can say that it's because the Demons have been poor that I'm just whingeing - but I felt this way even through 2022-23 when we were never out of the top four.

Footy just isn't the same game anymore, there really are very few acts of individual brilliance these days, the rivalries are confected and very vanilla, you don't see the big forwards kicking bags anymore, the game is very defensive/controlled and all the flair and intuition has been coached out of players. Then you have the circus that's surrounds the AFL and the corrupt executive pushing their agendas and it all just leaves a very sour taste. I used to watch as many games as I could but now I'll be lucky to last more than a quarter of a neutral game, most games I've watched have been when it's on when visiting a relo.

There's still the occasional entertaining game (I thought Footscray/Collingwood a few weeks back was good) and maybe it's just me but I find it all very meh at the moment.
Disagree. 2024 has been a bit of a let down due to a range of factors (Kane and Dillon being complete *******s the main one) but I thought 2023 was one of the best seasons I've ever watched. Despite my most hated team winning the flag the speed, creativity and individual star moments were seemingly a weekly occurrence. 2022 was tracking similarly until Geelong sharted on Sydney in the Grand Final.

This season many of the teams have fallen in a heap, began tiring out fans with the same old issues as they've had for the last half dozen years and theres been scandal after scandal at club land, umpires and with AFL house. Melbourne is rife with issues, Port fans are sick of Hinkley, North are still garbage and the Crows, Essendon, Bulldogs etc are all having issues with inconsistency and a lack of heart at times.

I think there's a massive amount of exciting young talent in the league right now and I think once a few of these teams move on coaches/make a few moves to revitalize the fan bases they'll be as engaged as ever. Imagine how exciting it would be being a Port fan building towards a flag tilt with Rozee, JHF, Butters, Bergman etc if they didn't have the everlasting cloud of Hinkley hatred burdening their support.

I'm obviously excited as a Blues fan after a lifetime in the wilderness but I think the 6-6-6 rule, stand etc have made for a better viewing product for everyone bar Richmond fans and their bizarre cult like conspiracy groupthink. The umps are at an all time low however

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back