Coach Simpson’s final years - What went wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

Or...we could just let people talk about what they want to and if you don't want to read it then don't click on the thread?

This

If people want to trudge over old ground they can but I transferred the initial chat from the 2025 coach thread so that people could avoid it if they want by simply not clicking on the thread

Last edited:

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Agree with everything Eade says.

The Simpson era has ended with the club in tatters. We aren't even rebuilding yet either, still to bottom out and catastrophic cultural issues that have set in. Any decent established coaches, or coaches with good future prospects would be very wary touching this.

Last edited:
Agree with everything Eade says. Simpson has left this club in tatters. We aren't even rebuilding yet either, still yet to bottom out and we have catastrophic cultural issues that have set in. Any decent established or coaches with good future prospects would be very wary touching this.

And people were adamant it wasn't Simpsons fault.

Agree with everything Eade says. Simpson has left this club in tatters. We aren't even rebuilding yet either, still yet to bottom out and we have catastrophic cultural issues that have set in. Any decent coach would be very wary touching this.

Last time I checked Eade never coached a team to a premiership at any level.

Agree with everything Eade says. Simpson has left this club in tatters. We aren't even rebuilding yet either, still yet to bottom out and we have catastrophic cultural issues that have set in. Any decent established or coaches with good future prospects would be very wary touching this.

“Simpson has left this club in tatters”.

Have to sadly agree with this. Although it’s not only Simpson but all the others who enabled and colluded with him.
You don’t get to this deplorable state without serious widespread dysfunction in many areas.

Thank goodness a lot of them have gone. I think Pyke has been a great appointment.

It’s going to have to be a special person who takes it on. The thought that we haven’t bottomed out yet is scary.
No way we can expect immediate success.

“Simpson has left this club in tatters”.

Have to sadly agree with this. Although it’s not only Simpson but all the others who enabled and colluded with him.
You don’t get to this deplorable state without serious widespread dysfunction in many areas.

Thank goodness a lot of them have gone. I think Pyke has been a great appointment.

It’s going to have to be a special person who takes it on. The thought that we haven’t bottomed out yet is scary.
No way we can expect immediate success.
Nisbett left the club in 'tatters'. He was the CEO.

Wouldn't be using Eade as a voice of reason though, after his abysmal efforts at WBD and GC.

Nisbett left the club in 'tatters'. He was the CEO.

Wouldn't be using Eade as a voice of reason though, after his abysmal efforts at WBD and GC.

Mate don’t be that bloke that cracks Eades record. He spoke the truth. That he didn’t do it is not relevant. We all know the truth that Simmo set low standards. Why does it matter who says it.

Mate don’t be that bloke that cracks Eades record. He spoke the truth. That he didn’t do it is not relevant. We all know the truth that Simmo set low standards. Why does it matter who says it.
I'd say Nisbett was the bigger problem.

If Eade's going to piss and moan about the 'training standards' this year, he may want to remember it was Pyke that changed up the program in conjunction with Matt Inness, as he mentioned in a number of interviews early in the season.

We've seen far less injuries this year, so this upcoming preseason is time to adjust the program to enable the players to run out games better. None of this can happen in one preseason with new staff though.

Eade's article is just Cornes-lite clickbait.

I'd say Nisbett was the bigger problem.

If Eade's going to piss and moan about the 'training standards' this year, he may want to remember it was Pyke that changed up the program in conjunction with Matt Inness, as he mentioned in a number of interviews early in the season.

We've seen far less injuries this year, so this upcoming preseason is time to adjust the program to enable the players to run out games better. None of this can happen in one preseason with new staff though.

Eade's article is just Cornes-lite clickbait.

Nisbett never coached us. He is at fault for heaps but not the coaching.

Nisbett never coached us. He is at fault for heaps but not the coaching.
He's at fault for extending Simpson's contract to begin with, as well as not holding him(and others) accountable.

If an organisation gets into this big of a mess, that's on the CEO, not the middle-managers.

He's at fault for extending Simpson's contract to begin with, as well as not holding him(and others) accountable.

If an organisation gets into this big of a mess, that's on the CEO, not the middle-managers.

Agree but I am not letting Simmo off the hook and pretending like he was some gun coach.

Agree but I am not letting Simmo off the hook and pretending like he was some gun coach.
He won a flag and had the highest win rate for home and away/finals from 2015-2018. That's the absolute definition of a 'gun coach'.

Obviously things changed and he lost his edge and was no longer the coach he was during that period but at his peak he was the best coach in the game.

Other clubs would've killed for peak Simmo.

He won a flag and had the highest win rate for home and away/finals from 2015-2018. That's the absolute definition of a 'gun coach'.

Obviously things changed and he lost his edge and was no longer the coach he was during that period but at his peak he was the best coach in the game.

Other clubs would've killed for peak Simmo.

Then let them appoint him. We were very lucky that we eon by the best side dropping a game. Then the next 5 years is all layed out to see. He can’t hide from it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What load of sh!te, 2018 he was an hero, things changed now the whingers and fairweather supporters are out in force with their chests pumped up trying to squeeze some more blood out of the bloke.
He stuck by WC through the crap as well, never shirked or tried to dodge anything.
Surprised the hindsight crew aren't trying to blame him for the drug years as well.
DHs.

What load of sh!te, 2018 he was an hero, things changed now the whingers and fairweather supporters are out in force with their chests pumped up trying to squeeze some more blood out of the bloke.
He stuck by WC through the crap as well, never shirked or tried to dodge anything.
Surprised the hindsight crew aren't trying to blame him for the drug years as well.
DHs.

You surely are jesting? What part of our current plight is not his fault?

Last edited:
Then let them appoint him. We were very lucky that we eon by the best side dropping a game. Then the next 5 years is all layed out to see. He can’t hide from it.
If you're going to blame the years following the 2018 flag on him then you also need to praise him for the period we were successful in.

Can't say it was luck we won in '18(despite being 5 goals down in the first qtr) then say it was directly his fault for our fall.

Perhaps that was also 'luck'?

If you're going to blame the years following the 2018 flag on him then you also need to praise him for the period we were successful in.

Can't say it was luck we won in '18(despite being 5 goals down in the first qtr) then say it was directly his fault for our fall.

Perhaps that was also 'luck'?

I did give him credit many times for him being the flag coach. Responsibility both ways comes with a million dollar salary.

I did give him credit many times for him being the flag coach. Responsibility both ways comes with a million dollar salary.
Yes I agree.

I'm not absolving him of the failures of the past few years but it's a bit annoying to me that some people want to attribute 2018 to 'luck' but blame him for everything bad.

He was a very good coach at one point but perhaps time passed him by. It happens.

Agree with everything Eade says. Simpson has left this club in tatters. We aren't even rebuilding yet either, still to bottom out and we have catastrophic cultural issues that have set in. Any decent established or coaches with good future prospects would be very wary touching this.

Agree with most of what Eade says, particularly the not working hard enough stuff. That is completely obvious to anyone who's watched us regularly.

Disagree completely with the Reid stuff. He's a kid who won a couple of games for us of his own boot. Focus somewhere else

Yes I agree.

I'm not absolving him of the failures of the past few years but it's a bit annoying to me that some people want to attribute 2018 to 'luck' but blame him for everything bad.

He was a very good coach at one point but perhaps time passed him by. It happens.

Again iagree with you. But the last 5 years is also directly on him.
And yes sadly it does pass some if them bye.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Simpson’s final years - What went wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back