Coach Simpson’s final years - What went wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

Or...we could just let people talk about what they want to and if you don't want to read it then don't click on the thread?

This

If people want to trudge over old ground they can but I transferred the initial chat from the 2025 coach thread so that people could avoid it if they want by simply not clicking on the thread

Last edited:

Regarding Simmo, both things can be true. He was a very good coach who should get full credit for winning us a flag and making another GF. He also hung around way too long and got too comfortable with the senior players in particular and let the standards drop through the floor.
Yes, exactly.

Said himself the players need a new voice in Schofield's interview with him.

Agree with most of what Eade says, particularly the not working hard enough stuff. That is completely obvious to anyone who's watched us regularly.

Disagree completely with the Reid stuff. He's a kid who won a couple of games for us of his own boot. Focus somewhere else
Agreed to an extent re Reid, but it's a worthy precautionary tale. Certainly Reid is having to develop differently as the focal point of our midfield rather than as a cog in a functioning system. Its going to influence how he plays going forward.

Agreed to an extent re Reid, but it's a worthy precautionary tale. Certainly Reid is having to develop differently as the focal point of our midfield rather than as a cog in a functioning system. Its going to influence how he plays going forward.

He attended less centre bounces and had less clearances than both Kelly and Yeo.

Wouldn’t that make them the focal points and him a cog?

He attended less centre bounces and had less clearances than both Kelly and Yeo.

Wouldn’t that make them the focal points and him a cog?
Yeo and Kelly aren't part of the overall scheme of things (except that Yeo is a magnificent role model). Thoughts in Eades comments in Reid? I think they are at least pause for thought.

"He needs to be coached. He's still playing school footy. He's taking them all on and not feeding the ball to the best option," Eade said of Reid. "There were four or five opportunities at the weekend where they could have scored goals and he just wanted to showcase his don't argue.

"He's got to learn good habits from a young age. If he gets in a situation and he plays like that until he's 22 or 23, he won't change. He needs to change now. And they need to change that. It will make him a better player.""

Last edited:
Thoughts in Eades comments in Reid? I think they are at least pause for thought.

"He needs to be coached. He's still playing school footy. He's taking them all on and not feeding the ball to the best option," Eade said of Reid. "There were four or five opportunities at the weekend where they could have scored goals and he just wanted to showcase his don't argue.

"He's got to learn good habits from a young age. If he gets in a situation and he plays like that until he's 22 or 23, he won't change. He needs to change now. And they need to change that. It will make him a better player.""

Good example in how to not answer a question.

I give Simpson credit for the flag, even though it doesn’t really count because we didn’t have to play Richmond, and even though we actually matched up pretty well with Richmond that season that’s not really relevant…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regarding Simmo, both things can be true. He was a very good coach who should get full credit for winning us a flag and making another GF. He also hung around way too long and got too comfortable with the senior players in particular and let the standards drop through the floor.
Yes both things are true.

He achieved the ultimate success and it wasn’t luck.

Then under his watch it all fell apart really badly and we are still in this mess.

Why it happened is not clear to someone observing from the outside.

We belted Richmond that year and got within a goal of them the following year at the MCG in unfavourable conditions.
The team of 2018-2019 has been underrated in VFL history.

It was a powerful all round side and could have achieved greater success apart from a few factors.

Hubris, Rioli’s stupidity, Covid, injuries, bad recruiting and list management decisions, and probably a whole lot of other stuff that only insiders know.

I think if we played Richmond in the 2018 Grand Final we would have likely lost, not by a big margin but maybe under 4 goals. Collingwood did us a massive favor by beating them in the Prelim. I remember thinking after they won, we've got a real good shot next week.

Yes Simpson is to blame for what happened afterward and the list managment. Nisbett though giving him contract after contract he was equally culpable. The fact that he gave those contracts in secret as well. I'll never forget Simpsons quote that he was confident in the 2022 pre-season that the club can compete again.

To say that after the rubbish we put out in 2021 when we had a relatively favorable run with injuries was a completely stupid statement. He and the club were too afraid to rebuild, if we started officially at the end of 2021 we'd be way ahead of where we are now.

While we’re doing alternate history, there’s a world where Tom Sheridan doesn’t drop an uncontested chest mark in the 2015 prelim and we roll an exhausted, battered and bruised Freo in a derby Grand Final to the tune of 10 goals.

But that didn’t happen. So we’ll settle for ‘just’ the 2018 premiership thanks to Simmo.

He’s long gone folks, the club is moving forward, maybe it’s time we all got over it and looked forward too.

Yeo and Kelly aren't part of the overall scheme of things (except that Yeo is a magnificent role model). Thoughts in Eades comments in Reid? I think they are at least pause for thought.

I do agree that (whilst the 2018 success needs to be equally acknowledged) that the last few years/complacency should be called out generally, with Simpson one part of many responsible for that.

However don't agree with the Reid stuff at all - feels like a statement included because he's good for the media algorithm/clicks atm and not specific to the general point Eade should have been making.

Reid has come in to the side at their lowest and honestly looked better early on (max schoolboy footy level) before the year ground him down. He strikes me as someone who wants to win, win, win - I reckon with more functional teammates around him the passing off will come more naturally. The examples from the Geelong game Lloyd highlighted were situations that yes, he could have passed off as a first option, but also the teammate was leading limply to the boundary at the edge of 45m out. Reid seemed entirely happy to hit up Waterman plenty of times when he was making actual meaningful leads.

Plenty of stuff to fault Simmo for but I'd honestly be way more mad if he stifled the campaigner in Reid's game at all. Maturity will come but coaching him into being a Duggan type honest citizen would have been a way worse outcome IMO.

Are we really going to re-litigate this argument again? It's bad enough getting melts over Simpson every day when he was actually the coach.

But he's not.

Can we just move on?

EDIT: Just to add... to the best of my knowledge, Eade hasn't held a coaching gig since he was dumped by Gold Coast in 2017, and hasn't been working in the media either. I assume someone called him up, to see if a cranky old man would rant and rave and give them a headline.

Journalist got exactly what they wanted, and we all fell for the click-bait.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Simpson’s final years - What went wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back