Speculation Ivan Soldo

Remove this Banner Ad

He's great, but he's just always injured

The K Rock radio guys nicknamedhim the loch ness Conway. An enormous monster that no one had ever seen

For me it's a definite "no thanks" to someone like Soldo. A relative name player, comes in expecting (or being promised) the #1 ruck spot, apparently cracks the shits after being supplanted by younger alternatives and wants to leave.

It sounds like exactly what we (Geelong supporters) would want to happen (Conway and/or de Koning establishing themselves as regular AFL ruckmen), would unfold the same way for Soldo as the situation at Port which has seemingly got him so disenchanted in the first place.

I don't want anyone to come in with expectations of being the main man. If anything, I just want a Ceglar who's happy to have another year in the AFL. To me, next year is the year to back in Conway and SDK and if that doesn't work, we'll I'm not getting premiership year vibes from 2025 anyway. It's time to back the young fellas in and it's low-risk if it doesn't go well.

If we're toying around with Soldo types, well that doesn't suggest to me that the Cats have much faith in Conway getting his body right.

For me it's a definite "no thanks" to someone like Soldo. A relative name player, comes in expecting (or being promised) the #1 ruck spot, apparently cracks the shits after being supplanted by younger alternatives and wants to leave.

It sounds like exactly what we (Geelong supporters) would want to happen (Conway and/or de Koning establishing themselves as regular AFL ruckmen), would unfold the same way for Soldo as the situation at Port which has seemingly got him so disenchanted in the first place.

I don't want anyone to come in with expectations of being the main man. If anything, I just want a Ceglar who's happy to have another year in the AFL. To me, next year is the year to back in Conway and SDK and if that doesn't work, we'll I'm not getting premiership year vibes from 2025 anyway. It's time to back the young fellas in and it's low-risk if it doesn't go well.

If we're toying around with Soldo types, well that doesn't suggest to me that the Cats have much faith in Conway getting his body right.
Soldo did not want to leave Port, the issue is his glamorous missus did not like living in Adelaide (so she left)

He's got that skill that very few of us have - he's 6'7 and is reasonably mobile (for 6'7).

He'll get a couple more cracks at it. If he was cheap (ie Port pay 95% of his salary) - we'd have him back as Nank insurance. Our 2 young kids are still miles off it.
OHB so far off it, it took me a few seconds to work out who you were talking about.

Ivan Soldo is keen to cross to St Kilda in the trade period after only a single season at Port Adelaide where Jordon Sweet leapfrogged over him to grab the club’s No. 1 ruck spot.
The Saints are on track to secure former St Kilda ruckman Soldo, who is still contracted to the Power.

The Saints need more ruckmen after delisting Tom Campbell, with ruck-forward Jack Hayes also drawing interest from rival clubs.

Port Adelaide has another backup in Dante Visentini so is well enough stocked as it also chases rival players including Harry Perryman, Jack Lukosius and Isaac Cumming.

Port Adelaide gave up picks 41 and 49 and Fremantle’s 2024 second-rounder but got back a fourth-rounder and pick 50 for Soldo last year.

Ivan Soldo is keen to cross to St Kilda in the trade period after only a single season at Port Adelaide where Jordon Sweet leapfrogged over him to grab the club’s No. 1 ruck spot.
The Saints are on track to secure former St Kilda ruckman Soldo, who is still contracted to the Power.

The Saints need more ruckmen after delisting Tom Campbell, with ruck-forward Jack Hayes also drawing interest from rival clubs.

Port Adelaide has another backup in Dante Visentini so is well enough stocked as it also chases rival players including Harry Perryman, Jack Lukosius and Isaac Cumming.

Port Adelaide gave up picks 41 and 49 and Fremantle’s 2024 second-rounder but got back a fourth-rounder and pick 50 for Soldo last year.

Richmond reall did well out of Both Soldo & CCj deals
Blair Hartley is a smart negotiator

Seems a weird move for Soldo. St Kilda has its own AA contender as its #1 ruck, he wouldn't be supplanting Marshall either, outside of injury.

Furthermore, it just tags him as a malcontent, in my opinion. You want players who are dissatisfied with their position in the reserves and determined to kick the door down to play seniors (while accepting the leadership position they've been thrust into in the lower grade); not players who think the SANFL and VFL is beneath them and demand to be traded once it's clear they're not cemented in as a first-choice player. Not sure this is a great career move frankly.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soldo is wise to want to move to a side he will get AFL exposure in, he's going to be 29 next year and doesn't want to find himself out of contract without exposed form seeking a contact he will be 30+ in.

His career could evaporate.

Port should ask for that pick #24

Pick 24 🤣

He’s on an AFL list because he’s tall

Saints are Simply replacing one non standard ruck (Campbell) with another

Absolutely bizarre seeing these rucks moving to clubs with already established AA calibre ruckman.

Reminds me of Preuss and Luke Jackson.

Soldo is wise to want to move to a side he will get AFL exposure in, he's going to be 29 next year and doesn't want to find himself out of contract without exposed form seeking a contact he will be 30+ in.

His career could evaporate.

Port should ask for that pick #24
His value has declined since he was traded, not increased.

He's older, he hasn't played much AFL footy recently, and he's added to his already noted injury concerns that he had.

I'd take him back for cheaper. But he may well yet provide great value for Port. Geelong would be another great fit for a few years.

He can play, he just has a habit of getting injured at the wrong time then taking a while to crack back into the senior side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Ivan Soldo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back