Toast Izak Rankine off to Adelaide. Pick 5 obtained as expected

Remove this Banner Ad

You could hear a pin drop in the Izak Rankine D&T thread. The usual cow fans are nowhere to be seen with their usual tripe!

You sir, are a gentlemen and a scholar.

Pick 5 and a future 3rd, almost exact same as the Cerra deal would be great.
I think we all knew pick 5 was going to be involved in this trade and that's great because we can potentially bring in another young player that will be just as good or better than Ranks and it allows use to use pick 7 for strategy cap dumping purposes, but if we can secure a future third rounder from them as well then that will go a long way to helping us next year with our 2 or 3 standout academy prospects coming through.

When you have multiple highly rated academy/father-son picks coming through at the same time, there's incentive to move your first round pick because you can get more out of it from either moving up in the draft before an expected bid on your player OR you can trade that first pick for a star player from another club. We're seeing it right now with Brisbane - they knew Ashcroft was going to bid on with a top 3 pick and they also had Jaspa Fletcher coming through that was going to eat up a lot of their draft capital so they went out and secured a first class talent in Josh Dunkley and will now try to move their picks in a way that allows them to send a top 10 pick the Bulldogs for Dunkley as well as securing enough points to match bids for Ashcroft and Fletcher. Brisbane has next to no reason to keep a first round pick in this year's draft.

So let's just say, hypothetically, that the future third rounder we receive from the Crows becomes pick 40. That equates to 429 points. If you go out and secure three picks around the 40 mark then you can match any bid from pick 8 onwards. Now if Walter continues his trajectory and ends up being bid on with, let's just say, pick 5 (1878 points) and we finish higher on the ladder than 14th (which seems likely) then we will have to make a decision on whether we take the risk and attempt to move ahead of the expected bid to secure two top 5 picks OR we use the salary cap space we will have created the year before by moving on Bowes, Fiorini etc to secure a player like Josh Dunkley. Obviously this is highly dependent on where we finish on the ladder next year because if we play finals in 2023 then it'll be much easier to attract a big name player but you can still make it happen without playing finals as Brisbane showed when they secured Lachie Neale at the end of 2018. So if we do end up playing finals next year then there's even more incentive to trade away our first round pick, as it has essentially become useless to us at that point in time due to the impending top 5-10 bid on Walter and it would be far better used as a way of securing a player like Dunkley from another club. That's where it become exciting because if we're already a top 8 team and we secure someone like Dunkley as well as three outstanding academy prospects then it's very likely we move into the top 4 in 2024.

tl;dr - Pick 5 from Adelaide is great but also gaining the future third round pick could be crucial next year.

6F9E44FB-A8FE-4D7A-B753-3AC848D2EEEE.jpeg

Any takers?

Seen in main Darwin shopping centre sports store today.

By the way, 2 big walls dedicated to AFL guernseys, almost exclusively indigenous versions on display. Some random suns training top on the bottom row on one wall, no suns guernseys on the other, I found it tucked away in a smaller floor display section.

View attachment 1523954

Any takers?

By the way, 2 big walls dedicated to AFL guernseys, almost exclusively indigenous versions on display. Some random suns training top on the bottom row on one wall, no suns guernseys on the other, I found it tucked away in a smaller floor display section.

Was probably one of the most marketable players from the Suns I’d say.

I still
Remember Jaegers juniors.

Rankine could if had something similar.

☹️

View attachment 1523954

Any takers?

Casuarina? Even when we played the 2x games in a row this year there was still bugger all to buy. Im promised next year will be different

That shirt will still sell up here

Casuarina? Even when we played the 2x games in a row this year there was still bugger all to buy. Im promised next year will be different

That shirt will still sell up here
They did have presumably the ‘22 home guernsey (I don’t pay that much attention to different varieties) for sale on a less conspicuous rack.

No suns indigenous option at all.

Surprised even the GWS indigenous version was on the main display.

They did have presumably the ‘22 home guernsey (I don’t pay that much attention to different varieties) for sale on a less conspicuous rack.

No suns indigenous option at all.

Surprised even the GWS indigenous version was on the main display.

What I do see a little bit of is the rip off bootleg SUNS fishing shirt. Gets around a bit. Gold Coast will be the #1 supported team here within the next 5 years though

Surely the Crows' attention has suddenly shifted to Jason Horne-Francis. If there's even a 1% chance they can get him, they'd be mad not to try and I guess for us that could be a good thing because it might mean the Rankine deal falls through and he stays with us.

Surely the Crows' attention has suddenly shifted to Jason Horne-Francis. If there's even a 1% chance they can get him, they'd be mad not to try and I guess for us that could be a good thing because it might mean the Rankine deal falls through and he stays with us.
They would be stupid not to ask the question, they have massive midfield issues and deciding to add Rankine over JHF would be terrible list management.

I would be guessing though that North are talking to Adelaide as leverage to get more out of Port.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back