Jacinta Allan - Leading a zombie government

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem with the stadium it acts as a barrier from the water to the city.

I think from memory it was all part of the master plan.
I'd say the rail yards at southern cross have a far bigger impact than Marvel Stadium

The problem with the stadium it acts as a barrier from the water to the city.

I think from memory it was all part of the master plan.
Doesn’t the AFL have plans to try and fix that with more glass and plazas?

It’s not my favourite ground but what I do like is that few cities in the world can boast stadiums of the size of the MCG and Marvel so close to the centre.

Doesn’t the AFL have plans to try and fix that with more glass and plazas?

It’s not my favourite ground but what I do like is that few cities in the world can boast stadiums of the size of the MCG and Marvel so close to the centre.
They do. Part of it was what's been done around gates 2/3 and 5.

The next bit is the Harbor side.
I'd say the rail yards at southern cross have a far bigger impact than Marvel Stadium
That won't get changed in the short term.

The re fueling point, cars office and rail motor yard are smack bang in the middle between the stadium and the shopping centre.

“We’re firmly focused on delivering for all Victorians and helping to ease the cost of living for families”

The Government’s official response when asked to justify a) why the Premiers Private Office employs more people than the PM’s office and NSW Premier’s office combined and b) why taxpayers are paying $1M per week for wages of ministerial staffers.

What came first? The football stadium was designed and built before anything around it was thought of. And a football stadium next to a major rail station in the City isn’t a bad idea
It is just really poor urban design. Spenser Street Station is already a huge barrier between the city and Docklands. And then they added a football stadium as well. It is just dumb. The Stadium should have been off to the side or something.

I don't think the stadium really matters in the scheme of things, the reason why nobody goes to Docklands is because there are only three roads that connect it to the city in the space of 500m - Collins, Bourke and La Trobe. Compare that with the CBD where you have 7 E-W roads over the same distance. Everything west of Wurundjeri Way is okay but between WW and Spencer St there's... nothing. So you either make a deliberate 10 minute walk to get to Docklands or you stay in the CBD, it's not set up for people to wander over there.

Can also add that there's nothing around La Trobe St west of Flagstaff gardens so it's a 20 minute walk to go from the nice areas around Flagstaff station to the decent bars & restaurants in the Newquay area. And walking across from Bourke St is hardly appealing given you have to climb the steps and then walk through what is basically southern cross.

My solution would be to remove Southern Cross station as it stands and replace it with three underground platforms for metro services, move the regional services to a new station at E-Gate and extend the CBD to Docklands over the old railyards. This would cost tens of billions of dollars and sever the freight connection to the east of the state without adding any real return in value. I will take no questions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jacinta Allan - Leading a zombie government

Remove this Banner Ad

Back