Toast Jack Dyer Medal 2024 - Positive vibes only

Remove this Banner Ad

Lets keep this thread positive vibes only, especially for the night please.

Its been a shit year, so lets have one good night. You have heaps of other threads to voice criticisms in.

Anyone being overly negative will be threadbanned.

How hard was it to ask a friend who at least finished Yr 12 to help write down about 10 dot points (keeping the words to under 3 syllables or less :smile:) that they couldve read out which summarised their time, experience, emotions and gratitude to RFC. :think:
Are you for real?

Players leave their club to come to us = Legend, so excited he wants to play for Richmond
Richmond delists a player = bye loser, thats the footy business.
Player leaves Richmond to go to another team = traitor and a shit person. Wheres the loyalty. How could they betray us like this.

Toddler menatality, mate. Footy is a job and a business.

I'm not disappointed they're leaving, that's fine and their decision. They've all gone about it the right way and especially Bolton who has not nominated a club publicly and is happy to return if Richmond don't get the picks they want- gave us leverage.

The disappointing thing for me was that baker didn't prepare for last night. You'd have a good idea you're making a speech and polling top 5 and to just completely wing it (moreso if you're not a good public speaker) is just really poor preparation and comes across as though you can't be bothered and full distain to a club who took a punt on you when nobody else would.

I'm not disappointed they're leaving, that's fine and their decision. They've all gone about it the right way and especially Bolton who has not nominated a club publicly and is happy to return if Richmond don't get the picks they want- gave us leverage.

The disappointing thing for me was that baker didn't prepare for last night. You'd have a good idea you're making a speech and polling top 5 and to just completely wing it (moreso if you're not a good public speaker) is just really poor preparation and comes across as though you can't be bothered and full distain to a club who took a punt on you when nobody else would.

The vibe might have got him on the night. He probably thought he would be fine because most footballers who have got to that level usually have been called out the front to make acceptance speeches plenty of times.Humble and mumble is fine as long as they can play football .

Players leave their club to come to us = Legend, so excited he wants to play for Richmond
Richmond delists a player = bye loser, thats the footy business.
Player leaves Richmond to go to another team = traitor and a shit person. Wheres the loyalty. How could they betray us like this.

Toddler menatality, mate. Footy is a job and a business.
Im pretty much fine with them leaving if thats what they want to do. But its the way they do it that counts.

But ill go one better and entertain your misguided premise. Is you supporting the club, for you as a supporter, a business and a job?

Or is it primarily a passion which you may as part of this donate to as part of being a member?

From most supporters perspective I couldn't care much for the individual job and business side of things (in your terms) on a day to day basis from the players perspective. Ultimately I care about the club being successful. And if there is something that stinks like the speeches then it deserves to be called out irrespective of the way individual players see their contracts.

True Richmond men don't leave, and Richmond men certainly dont burn bridges if they decide to leave on the way out.

Last edited:
I liked it

If it was the CEO or coach not so much but the President is an extension of the membership base and by him highlighting Broad it summed up well the members thoughts on him signing up while also having a slight snipe at the guys leaving

It’s not like he said anything specific of singled out blokes thought it walked the line well to get the point across
Exactly. Made me feel that the administration has got some spine and won't take things lying down.

Baker's speech was going to be the same no matter what. He already knew how the club and many members & fans felt about his leaving.

Sam Lane's hosting was great. Her Q&A of Rioli, Nank was the way to go & should've just interviewed Bolton & Baker too.
Bolton needed an interview like part of his AA award. Sit down with 4 or 5 other winners. Slowly getting him to talk. It was better than the JDM. when he did open up it was (mildly) interesting.

The Prez's & coach's stand up speeches makes the night like a AGM. To an audience of footballers & wives.

when that's finished. Have seats on stage. Have all the winners stay seated on stage afterwards.

Im pretty much fine with them leaving if thats what they want to do. But its the way they do it that counts.

But ill go one better and entertain your misguided premise. Is you supporting the club, for you as a supporter, a business and a job?

Or is it primarily a passion which you may as part of this donate to as part of being a member?

From most supporters perspective I couldn't care much for the individual job and business side of things (in your terms) on a day to day basis from the players perspective. Ultimately I care about the club being successful. And if there is something that stinks like the speeches then it deserves to be called out irrespective of the way individual players see their contracts.

True Richmond men don't leave, and Richmond men certainly dont burn bridges if they decide to leave on the way out.
I can understand they are footballers of varying degrees of intelligence and speaking abilities, but the elephant in the room needed to be addressed.

The 3 of them should have acknowledged they have requested trades for family reasons.

Something along the lines of as you're probably all aware I have requested a trade to wherever for family reasons, however, the RFC will forever live in my heart, and as a life member of this great club I leave with a heavy heart. This place will always feel like home and I wish the club the very best.

Simple.

And as a supporter I would say thank you, now F Off and get us the best trade.

I can understand they are footballers of varying degrees of intelligence and speaking abilities, but the elephant in the room needed to be addressed.

The 3 of them should have acknowledged they have requested trades for family reasons.

Something along the lines of as you're probably all aware I have requested a trade to wherever for family reasons, however, the RFC will forever live in my heart, and as a life member of this great club I leave with a heavy heart. This place will always feel like home and I wish the club the very best.

Simple.

And as a supporter I would say thank you, now F Off and get us the best trade.

It's not that difficult.
They've all got managers, where was their input? Jeez if it was me I'd be strongly advising them to say as you posted above.
No one gets upset, their legacy is intact and a big tick on their CV.

Baker and Bolton just came across as pissed dickheads that had given zero thought and zero care about the event they were at. Disappointing, especially Baker. I'd actually had a beer with him a couple of years ago and he seemed a ripping young fella (probably still is), but a public display like that doesn't help him.
Anyway, we all move on and will quickly forget I suppose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not that difficult.
They've all got managers, where was their input? Jeez if it was me I'd be strongly advising them to say as you posted above.
No one gets upset, their legacy is intact and a big tick on their CV.

Baker and Bolton just came across as pissed dickheads that had given zero thought and zero care about the event they were at. Disappointing, especially Baker. I'd actually had a beer with him a couple of years ago and he seemed a ripping young fella (probably still is), but a public display like that doesn't help him.
Anyway, we all move on and will quickly forget I suppose.

Also forget these guys are media trained and coached how to speak publicly. Baker sounded like a twat. Don’t use the he was pissed excuse because that makes it even worse and shows a complete lack of respect for our club and his team mates. Thanks for your contribution Liam I enjoyed what you provided but you are expendable and easy enough to replace

Have just watched the video and it's embarassingly worse than I feared particularly Baker's stuttering and stammering incoherent gibberish. He's no Winston Churchilll. We know that but it's a poor reflection on him and his minders that it came to that in such a public outing. Shai, I can forgive as it is par for the course with his limited public speaking abilities

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Jack Dyer Medal 2024 - Positive vibes only

Remove this Banner Ad

Back