News Jack Dyer Stand may go in $60m Punt Road Oval redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

If we ditch the underground car park, we can probably pay for at least a quarter of the ground (northern end) being undercover seating similar to the Eastern stand at Eureka, and instead of going from a capacity of 3,000 to 8,000, go to 12-13,000.

View attachment 2042442View attachment 2042446
Too much common sense there , prefer the under cover parking for the elites. Rather than putting the paying punters under cover

5000 extra seats at $20 a seat is $100,000 a game not including food and merch revenue.

4 to 5 games will cover what you could make on parking and we have a stadium for the next 25 years, not a car park.
The car park is underground.....

Has little to no impact on how many seats are in a grandstand... Just like the G, the more granstand you have, the more car parks underneath you can also have.

They should not be mutually exclusive.

Plus when are we getting an extra 5000 people to a VFL or AFLW game?

Too much common sense there , prefer the under cover parking for the elites. Rather than putting the paying punters under cover
Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

For who? The 200 or the 100,000
there was a joke in there, that's become a serious chat...

IF that carpark was bringing in revenue every day (which has since been suggested it may not), then it is wholly worth it just for the incoming revenue stream that would exist, in theory, forever, allowing further investment in the club. and its fans.

And if the carpark is underground, without know the exact placement and engineering behind the project, wouldn't stop further investment at the oval, just like the additional undercover stands you have suggested.

Perhaps the one that (potentially) brings in revenue, has to come first, to pay for the investment in other areas further down the track?

The car park is underground.....

Has little to no impact on how many seats are in a grandstand... Just like the G, the more granstand you have, the more car parks underneath you can also have.

They should not be mutually exclusive.

Plus when are we getting an extra 5000 people to a VFL or AFLW game?
The cost scrapping the car park can pay for a large chunk of covered seating. Excavation (basement) and construction costs are hideous.

The car park won't make money when the public can park at the G for $10.

As for crowds, what about preseason senior games? AFLW and VFL games? Get 13k spending $30 a head for just one preseason game and it's 400k in the coffers.

The cost scrapping the car park can pay for a large chunk of covered seating. Excavation (basement) and construction costs are hideous.

As for crowds, what about preseason senior games? AFLW and VFL games? Get 13k spending $30 a head for just one preseason game and it's 400k in the coffers.
can you fit extra seating/grandstand in the current plans???

Isn't space the biggest issue???

And I still don't think you are getting 13k to a VFL or AFLW game, and I would love to have a preseason game at Punt Road, but I doubt the AFL will fixture one there

And I still don't think you are getting 13k to a VFL or AFLW game, and I would love to have a preseason game at Punt Road, but I doubt the AFL will fixture one there
Why not?!? If they can play at Kitty Litter parklands they can play at PRO!

The beauty of the Eastern stand example is not only is it under cover and cheap, it has a very narrow profile.
Screenshot_20240708_160845.jpg Screenshot_20240708_161006.jpg

The beauty of the Eastern stand example is not only is it under cover and cheap, it has a very narrow profile.
View attachment 2042637View attachment 2042638
What are on the plans for the space you have highlighted???
Is the issue that the entrance road is right behind that space, so they can't push other plans/building backwards to accomodate for both new failities and additional grandstands??

What are on the plans for the space you have highlighted???
Is the issue that the entrance road is right behind that space, so they can't push other plans/building backwards to accomodate for both new failities and additional grandstands??
The stand has about a 12m profile. It will fit comfortably. Even twice. The distance from the entry road to the oval boundary fence is closer to 30m.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with your last sentence as you may get crowds only of that size at finals. Also most people will have an AFLW RFC Membership if they're keen and paid for entry in it. I'm pretty sure the VFL RFC membership is covered on the RFC membership so only buyers of seats will be away crowds unless they charge us Tigers extra for seating. If the case people will be upset bc they've been asked to help fund the project and then pay to use it after having a membership on top. Seems complicated and irrational.
FWIW car parking won't make much extras as there's not enough of them, costs for staff, council fees, insurance and MCG parking at $10 a pop . The carpark is only for the royal bums on game days, events and training, administration , staff etc
IT'S ALL A BIG MYTH AND BOTH WILL MAKE LITTLE MONEY EXCEPT ON BIG GAME DAYS where Attendance will be the moneymaker.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about building but everyone says costs are high now. Maybe we start banking profits and begin building when costs come down?
Interest rates will come down, cost of building more like to keep going up. Wages don't get cheaper and materials are unlikely to get cheaper, more likely to increase just with inflation alone

Isn't the car park at the G only open for those with a disability?

Isn't the car park at the G only open for those with a disability?
Parking wise yup

Public transport an option but not really practical on match days due to how busy the trains can get depending on the disability

I've conservatively costed a 280 space mid spec basement car park at just under $14.7 million.

The math is below.

For medium spec build, if you conservatively take a middle figure of around $2,080 per square metre add conservatively 20% (building industy average is around 21% since 2022) and the figures are based on 2022), you get $2,496 per sqm.

The 280 spaces proposed spaces at Australian Standards is approx 13sqm each plus shared aisle widths totals about 21sqm per space.

So 21sq x 280 spaces = 5880sqm.

5,880sqm x $2,496 = a 2024 cost of $14,678,000.

I've conservatively costed a 280 space mid spec basement car park at just under $14.7 million.

The math is below.

For medium spec build, if you conservatively take a middle figure of around $2,080 per square metre add conservatively 20% (building industy average is around 21% since 2022) and the figures are based on 2022), you get $2,496 per sqm.

The 280 spaces proposed spaces at Australian Standards is approx 13sqm each plus shared aisle widths totals about 21sqm per space.

Where did you get that number from, the website says approx $1,500 per sq/m

$8.8m

The math is below.

Does that include a track to get you to each level? I think your costs are under and closer to 20mil which s 20%of the total build cost for mid spec.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Jack Dyer Stand may go in $60m Punt Road Oval redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back