Jack Elliott has been harshly treated by many Carlton fans and officials

Remove this Banner Ad

popcornWB.jpg

I know it's a bit late now, but I find this one works better:

homer-eating-popcorn-c7873_sml.jpg

Nah, this is celtic blowhard's way of drumming up a few extra votes for Bay 13's Flog of the Year Award. Currently he/she/it is struggling in 4th place but a late surge in votes from the Carlton board could swing it.
Has me perplexed that I have only a hand full of votes in this caper! Everybody hates me but CP leaves me for dead some how!

I'm reporting your post for attempting to derail CP's awesome thread ! expect an infraction from ODN . :mad:
I didn't get the post report. I was looking forward to a bit of self punishment.

Besides, Guns started it!

A couple of things to respond with

1 - I don't think anyone gives a shit about the anti-smoking policies (frankly I think it's a hoot seening Big Jack light it up outside Jihad stadium and the MCG_(
2 - I prefer playing most of our home games at Jihad anyway, I think Carlton play better there then at the MCG anyway ...

What about the following:

*built the John Elliot stand which sits around 2000 corporate people and no-one else
*was behind the legends stand which was an absolute disaster - riddled the club with debt and public seats were limited; meaning supporters were priced out. The old outer was better and more profitable

What about the following:

*built the John Elliot stand which sits around 2000 corporate people and no-one else
*was behind the legends stand which was an absolute disaster - riddled the club with debt and public seats were limited; meaning supporters were priced out. The old outer was better and more profitable

Cant agree with this revisionist history. The original plans for PP were far grander than the Legends stand, this was all that we could get through council because we no longer had political support for the redevelopment.

If we are going to level any accusation it ought be that we lost that political connection but as boorish as Elliot was, the change in tide went far beyond Elliot's personality. We were encouraged to redevelop PP by previous AFL admins only to have the rug pulled once the AFL decided on the even grander plan of docklands by subsequent AFL admins.

And there are still some that argue both within Carlton and the AFL that PP should not only have been redeveloped, but that it still should be developed as an alternative venue. Standing in the outer, as romantic a thought as it conjures of our childhood, is just that, a faint memory of the way footy used to be, muddy grounds, poor facilities, drunken yobbos (well we still have those but we can only go so far!)

Elliot deserves all the brickbats he gets for his many foibles but the redevelopment was not one of them. The idea was and some believe still is a good one. Hindsight does not change that either, and isnt comfortable judging from here looking back rather than there looking forward?

At the end of the day, it is my own personal belief, and NOT A TROLL that John Elliott has been treated pretty poorly as a person who gave so much of his free time and energy into this football, I probably got some of the facts wrong about the club, but it seems pretty unfair and somewhat ignorant to blame everything that went wrong at the club at the hands of Elliott ...
It's pretty unfair and somewhat ignorant to expect fairer treatment when you make the contentious assertions you have without actually going to the trouble of researching the facts. Otherwise it would have been wiser raise the question for debate rather than making an unsupported statement that appears to be based on a few minutes basking in JE's smoky aura and something you heard from someone who'd read something about someone in a book or something.

That said, I can understand your empathy for him. You appear to be cut from the same cloth.

Ian Collins certainly fits all aspects of this picture perfectly.

As much as I dislike what Collo did to us, the die was well and truly cast for PP by the time Collo arrived as Pres. We only had a contract to continue games there unit 2005, after which the AFL was not under any obligation to sched matches there and I have no doubt they would not have. If you doubt this I site the famous Carlton V Collingwood game that the AFL put at PP to try to embarrass us because we refused to let them tear up the agreement we had until 05. By the time Collo was Pres, we were backed into a corner, but that is not to diminish the hoplessly compromised role he played in signing us to a less than favorable contract with Jihad. The irony of this for the AFL (who stood by and barracked Collo on) is that a few short years later the inadequacy of the deals that all clubs except Essendon are tied to are manifestly inadequate and the current AFL admin is fighting with Collo on just about every detail of Jihad including catering rights, naming rights and the executive bathroom access! Serves em right, you sleep with dogs you get fleas, sleep with dirty dogs and you get......the idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as I dislike what Collo did to us, the die was well and truly cast for PP by the time Collo arrived as Pres. We only had a contract to continue games there unit 2005, after which the AFL was not under any obligation to sched matches there and I have no doubt they would not have. If you doubt this I site the famous Carlton V Collingwood game that the AFL put at PP to try to embarrass us because we refused to let them tear up the agreement we had until 05. By the time Collo was Pres, we were backed into a corner, but that is not to diminish the hoplessly compromised role he played in signing us to a less than favorable contract with Jihad. The irony of this for the AFL (who stood by and barracked Collo on) is that a few short years later the inadequacy of the deals that all clubs except Essendon are tied to are manifestly inadequate and the current AFL admin is fighting with Collo on just about every detail of Jihad including catering rights, naming rights and the executive bathroom access! Serves em right, you sleep with dogs you get fleas, sleep with dirty dogs and you get......the idea.

Your previous post got me thinking that maybe this started when he was a Director at the AFL before he became Carlton Pres, and ended with his personal interest as CEO of Etihad ...Conspiracy theory ?

In my humble opinion
Not off to a good start here CP. I have not seen evidence to support this statement. :p
but I honestly feel that former President John Elliott has been given the rough end of the stick
Factually incorrect.

It was the sharp end of the stick.

We felt the rough end may not penetrate his thick outer skin and the sharp end had a much higher chance of finishing the prick off.

Not off to a good start here CP. I have not seen evidence to support this statement. :p

Factually incorrect.

It was the sharp end of the stick.

We felt the rough end may not penetrate his thick outer skin and the sharp end had a much higher chance of finishing the prick off.

I thought we were jabbing him with the sharp end of the stick so that he would go backwards and trip over and get the rough end of the pineapple...

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Elliott has been harshly treated by many Carlton fans and officials

Remove this Banner Ad

Back