Jack Ginnivan - Redemption arc

Has your opinion of Jack Ginnivan changed over the past 2 years?

• Yes

Votes: 65 30.7%
  • No

Votes: 147 69.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam in his press conference just sighed and said, at a guess, there was probably about a dozen hawks who went out for a feed with friends or family on Thursday evening.

Absolute nothing story for the ages. But Ginni doesn't seem to mind and it absorbs pressure off his team mates so whatever. Let em have their clicks
I saw Rough and Lewis at Rebel Sport in Prahran buying a basketball before the 2013 prelim against Geelong.

I couldn’t believe that young footballers do normal shit 🤷‍♂️

His explanation about going to the pub should be heed by everyone. "im 21 years old, just a young kid".

But brad johnson i think it was today said "he's an adult (and should be treated as such i.e. make his own decisions).

No wonder why the AFL universe is confused. Jack says he's a kid, the media say he's a young man/adult

It's definitely not as prevalent year 1.

Jack's started to realise he's clever enough to run around most defenders rather than run into them.

When he does get tackled he does still exaggerate but he's not actively looking for the contact anymore.
Do you reckon what was accepted as a magpie was bred out of him once he became a hawk?

It's definitely not as prevalent year 1.

Jack's started to realise he's clever enough to run around most defenders rather than run into them.

When he does get tackled he does still exaggerate but he's not actively looking for the contact anymore.

i think he's smarter than he lets on in the footy world and it's starting to show more on the field
he was really good last night, several key moments he showed nous and vision

the redemption for me is that he seems to do things other than play for free kicks these days, he has earned the right to be a smart ass on the field because he is contributing to wins now

He definitely doesn't do that anywhere near as much these days. He probably realises he's actually good enough to not have to rely on that rubbish.

Still only 21 but has already been part of some big moment.

Im looking forward to what he can bring when he is 24-25. I reckon he will improve his tank and get some good minutes in the midfield

Do you reckon what was accepted as a magpie was bred out of him once he became a hawk?

Nothing to do with being a Hawk or a Pie.

Umps put the whistle away even when he does get his head ripped off. I think he's just had to naturally evolve and probably realises they aren't going to give him a free unless it's absolutely obvious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta admit I was in the camp that maybe he isn’t that much without the ducking. I was wrong - he can definitely play. Completely different role at the Hawks and he is thriving.
Yes it looked like that at times. I thought he had potential, but might just be a handy gold sneak type of player. Isn't particularly fast but is smart. He plays his role well at the Hawks.

I'm going to need to know what he's redeeming himself from. This isn't Jesse Hogan, Ginni was a premiership player last year, he's an incredibly skilled doofus who makes some bizarre off field choices on occasion, and the Pies unusually felt that replacing he and a first round pick with Lachie Schultz was a good idea, but he's always been a bloody good player - and has gone to another level - which is to be expected given he's only 21.

If the miracle happens. And the hawks win the flag.

Will he be the first ever to go back to back playing for 2 different clubs?
Would be the 2nd player in VFL/AFL history after Tom Fitzmaurice in 1924-1925 with Essendon and Geelong.

His footy IQ is very high, get's to right places, inserts himself on the inside, and gets to good possies on the outside, and is an opportunist.

I am impressed by 2 other things I think worth mentioning: he is not fast but seems all over the ground and pops up quickly in new locations; he is an eternal optimist and upbeat, nothing brings him down.

Like a good Vedist, he is firmly in the NOW, in fact, the whole Hawks team seems to be on the same consciousness plain.

The absolute cope from Collingwood (didn’t even make finals, lol) over Ginni is incredible to see. Imagine letting go a generational player for a packet of chips
No cope from my end. I think most Collingwood supporters have a love-hate relationship with him nowadays.

They appreciate what he did in 2022-23, but understand he's a rival player now. Ginnivan's theatrics against us added to the theatre more than anything.

AFL community bemoans the death of personality in footy and at the same decries when any player shows an inkling of it.
I disagree with this narrative that is regularly regurgitated.

I don't think this happens at all.

Old guys like Gary Lyon and Kane Cornes don't like any expression of personality as in their old school thinking, it represents a lack of focus and priority.

Reality is though, it doesn't.

Regarding the rest of the football community, you need to realise that hanging shit on someone for doing something doesn't mean you are decrying that they did something, you're just hanging shit on the act itself.

I don't know a single person (aside from the two old codgers I referred to above) that wants any of the stuff they rage about to actually stop.

Just because a bloke looks like an utter flog with a lame, unoriginal goal celebration and gets called out for it, or a bloke says something controversial at a B&F speech that triggers everyone - doesn't mean everyone wants them to stop doing it.

But it's absolutely fair game to hang shit on them and react to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Ginnivan - Redemption arc

Back