Jack Ginnivan - Redemption arc

Has your opinion of Jack Ginnivan changed over the past 2 years?

• Yes

Votes: 65 30.7%
  • No

Votes: 147 69.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So why does he have to be redeemed?

We need players like Ginnivan, Watson, Toby Green, Tom Papley ect. They are competitive, where a part of their game is being antagonistic shit stirrers. They are entertaining to watch.

How boring if players were as batshit boring as Dangerfield.

This appears to be correct. Hawks don’t seem to have any structure or rules regarding player behaviour and it’s working for them.

Lol there are obviously some rules and structures in place but the Clarkson philosophy of one soldier replaces another is out and we are starting to embrace different personalities within the club now.

When you're known more for your celebration than you are for your on-field performance, It's not a recepie for longevity.

Always been a good player, and it's easy to tolerate the less than ideal off field behaviour when your team wins. Watch the media turn when Hawthorn arent winning.

When you're known more for your celebration than you are for your on-field performance, It's not a recepie for longevity.

Always been a good player, and it's easy to tolerate the less than ideal off field behaviour when your team wins. Watch the media turn when Hawthorn arent winning.

So they didn't turn on him before the game started last night?

By the way, he doesn't care.

Same bloke. Still flops a little bit. Still a footballer to his bootlaces.

It's a recipe for surviving fake media outrage: give zero stuffs and they run out of outrage.

He will do the odd silly thing, and it's not the end of the world.

It's good for footy that we have such different types, Blicavs, Gawn, Ginnivan, that tall Irish mid for the Hawks, shortarses and chubby blokes.

Last edited:
So they didn't turn on him before the game started last night?

By the way, he doesn't care.

His treatment since Thursday has been very tounge-in-cheek, "Haha, look at this cheeky fella" from the media, nothing like what he got after his Grand Final performance, and when he was playing in the 2s and overweight, taking selfies in his bed.

His treatment since Thursday has been very tounge-in-cheek, "Haha, look at this cheeky fella" from the media, nothing like what he got after his Grand Final performance, and when he was playing in the 2s and overweight, taking selfies in his bed.

What was different?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

…hard not to love a bloke that absolutely thrives under that pressure
This is what elevates him up the rankings.

He is red hot when the stakes get high. And him taking the spot light and heat from the oppo, helps his teammates immensely (See Dear and Watson last night)

I’m not quite sure what he has to redeem for it to be a redemption arc.

He has certainly improved as a player. Always been a goal kicker but didn’t do much else. Has become a real all rounder now. Up to 17 touches a game from 9, nearly 3 tackles up from just over 1, 15 pressure acts up from 9 last year and 12 the year before, 6 score involvements up form 4.

Become a better player than I thought he was capable of. Think the Pies will regret giving up on him too early in the years to come. Definitely found a good home at Hawthorn though.

I’m not quite sure what he has to redeem for it to be a redemption arc.

He has certainly improved as a player. Always been a goal kicker but didn’t do much else. Has become a real all rounder now. Up to 17 touches a game from 9, nearly 3 tackles up from just over 1, 15 pressure acts up from 9 last year and 12 the year before, 6 score involvements up form 4.

Become a better player than I thought he was capable of. Think the Pies will regret giving up on him too early in the years to come. Definitely found a good home at Hawthorn though.

I wonder if we gave up on him too early. To be fair though, if his 2023 trajectory had continued he’d be playing in the Bendigo league by 2026.

Doing the same shit he was doing at the Pies and getting crucified for. Just goes to show bias against certain clubs rings true for most
yep, he's now a smart footballer for "drawing" free kicks which he is now getting along with his team mate. hawthorns small forwards get more frees than any other side. He is also a character and good for our game now while last year he was probably the most hated player in the game with the media and opposition fans. Even kane Cornes has gone quiet.

The only difference is his jumper, this is proven by the author of this thread.

My opinion hasn't changed, I think he has a lot of football nous, with plenty of x-factor, and he is good for the game.
I won't lie though, but his cockiness bothers me now that he is in different colours, but that is a me problem lol.

I also have nothing to base this on, but just a feeling I have....but I always suspected that he is a cream on top player when everything is clicking. He started at the Pies at just the right time and has now flicked over to the Hawks at the right time, so haven't really seen him when a team is struggling and building which is where players show their true worth. Will wait and see, but curious to see how he holds when things aren't always going so smoothly.

Similar to Papley.

I love that he’s a little campaigner, and Jack is now our little campaigner, and I can totally get behind it.
Good comparison. I completely understand and embrace the opposition hate of Papley.

I used to love watching Hayden Ballantyne as a neutral for the same reasons. You just knew in a close game he was going to start some shit one way or another and get the opposition fans absolutely frothing at the mouth.

Seeing fans leaning over the fence threatening to kill these types of players while they perform over top celebrations and get in their faces is one of my greatest joys in football.

VIllain characters that can get an entire stadium of fans boiling over are great for the game IMO.

I definitely like Ginnivan more as a Hawk but I think that's probably because I've heard more of him in interviews. Just speaks his mind and doesn't really care much for the traditional media training stuff that turns most players into robots. Seems like a good kid just really enjoying his life and his football.

And let's be honest, being an attention seeking footballer is one of the better traits a forward can have in our game. As long as they are playing for one another its a positive to be the one who wants the big moments.

Just look at Ginnis celebration after hitting Watto up on a lead Friday night. He's hitting the right balance of team first and wanting to be the guy.

You're entitled to your opinion but I never got the feeling that Selwood played for free kicks. He always seemed content in just breaking/slipping a tackle to get a disposal off rather than waiting and looking for the ump to blow his whistle.

Holy shit mate I'm not going to knock someone for being a biased supporter, most of us are.

But the look of indignation from Selwood when he didn't get a free was famous. The guy complained to the umpires more than almost anyone else.

Your memory is gaslighting you

Good comparison. I completely understand and embrace the opposition hate of Papley.

I used to love watching Hayden Ballantyne as a neutral for the same reasons. You just knew in a close game he was going to start some shit one way or another and get the opposition fans absolutely frothing at the mouth.

Seeing fans leaning over the fence threatening to kill these types of players while they perform over top celebrations and get in their faces is one of my greatest joys in football.

VIllain characters that can get an entire stadium of fans boiling over are great for the game IMO.

I definitely like Ginnivan more as a Hawk but I think that's probably because I've heard more of him in interviews. Just speaks his mind and doesn't really care much for the traditional media training stuff that turns most players into robots. Seems like a good kid just really enjoying his life and his football.
I’ve found myself in plenty of arguments on the Hawks board over the years when declaring that I’d love Papley in our jumper.

Ginnivan is like a poor man’s Papley, but he’s still a lot of fun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Ginnivan - Redemption arc

Back