Jack Ginnivan - Redemption arc

Has your opinion of Jack Ginnivan changed over the past 2 years?

• Yes

Votes: 65 30.5%
  • No

Votes: 148 69.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This appears to be correct. Hawks don’t seem to have any structure or rules regarding player behaviour and it’s working for them.

The thing about Ginni and Pies fans would know it too... He isn't a ratbag off field and he isn't dirty on it. He never belts players, he is a shit stirrer and thats about it.

He copped early hate for drawing high tackles (he's not alone there) but because he leaned into it and showed that he couldn't give a shit, people hated him even more for it. The colour of his strip didnt help either

He is a nice kid who loves the contest and now he is playing for the team he idolised as a kid with a premiership medal already in his back pocket. He is living the dream and doing it with a smile on his face and that winds up people with weak characters.

The most important thing for me, as a Hawks fan, is that he is a smart, creative and selfless footballer.

Was at a pub drinking a soft drink to normalise life with mates

Where’s the blow up with Stengle who literally got off a plane, went straight to the clubs and passed out.

This one is bizaare

Im not gunning for the media to get onto Stengle but let be honest, its what they do. The comparison in treatment between Stengle, who got so ****ed up he passed out and Ginnivan, who had a water with some mates before 830 is baffling

He didn't have to redeem himself anyway, that was the media blowing things out of proportion because the AFL media is Women's Weekly for blokes; obsessed with the latest scandal or reading into every little thing a player does in their personal life. I'm glad in a way Ginnivan has pushed back against the wowsers and pearl clutchers and hopefully players just embrace the criticism and show how pathetic the media sound when they complain about blokes having a life outside of football or finding ways to unwind like a normal human being. Then they wonder why the players all sound robotic and speak in cliches. I'm glad in a way that Hawthorn have really let their players having fun and show some personality.

Reality is in 2023 Ginnivan needed to work on his game in the twos for a lot of the year, probably underperformed by his standards and was lucky to make the grand final team. But that's okay because he was a young player and that often happens. I was disappointed to see him go, but mostly just because we let him go so cheaply. We are pretty well set for players who play his role so it wasn't a huge loss for us even without if we hadn't picked up Schultz.

I think the measure of him as a player will be when the team is down or if his form is down and he has to face criticism about his game and really work on himself as a player. He didn't handle seem to handle it well last year tbh but that might come with age and maturity.

Time for a mea culpa BigFooty.

Has your opinion on the young man changed?

I know I have done a full 180 on him, and absolutely love what he brings to the league.

We don’t see a lot of contrition nowadays, so pray tell me, how do you feel about the king of the Gen Zs?

Change the colour of his stripes and all of sudden it's all good and no one has an issue with him.

Personally loved him at the pies and continue to enjoy his antics.

The club stuffed up massively last trade period. Basically paid Hawks to have him.

Schultz in for pick 10 2024 (Strong Draft) and pick 34 2023.

Ginni out for pick swaps Hawks 2nd and 3rd 2024 for pies 2nd and 4th 2024.

Horrendous trades.

As a hawthorn supporter, I liked Ginnis carefree, free spirited attitude about the attention he got at the Pies. I did think though that he was a potentially limited footballer who did rely on drawing free kicks to have more of an impact than I thought he was capable of.

I was wrong. I had no idea that he was actually a very crafty player with far more strings to his bow. Hawthorn have used him differently, and he's thriving.

Collingwoods decision to essentially replace him with Schultz at such a high price is questionable now, based on what he has delivered with us. Schultz could still end up having a better career but the cost was astronomically high.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure what all the fuss is about with this guy.

Good ordinary player - kicked a goal from 10 metres out when the ball literally fell into his arms (even surprised him) and then carried on like Lionel Messi.
I put him in the Brad Close category. Handy, clever, role player, but that's it.

So why does he have to be redeemed?

We need players like Ginnivan, Watson, Toby Green, Tom Papley ect. They are competitive, where a part of their game is being antagonistic shit stirrers. They are entertaining to watch.

How boring if players were as batshit boring as Dangerfield.
How is he boring? He is one of the most exciting players to watch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way he plays when the ball is live is far improved. Not a fan of (any team but specifically what Ginni and the other Hawks are doing) getting stuck into the man on the mark trying to draw shitty 50m penalties and stirring shit.

He seems to enjoy his football so much more now he's playing for Hawthorn.
Hawks fans have teeth and produce nice smiles, smell clean, and keep their saliva inside. Ginni likes that.

I don't wanna hear Hawk fans ever accuse Selwood of ducking after recruiting a player that clearly does it on purpose. Selwood actually tried to break tackles, he wasn't fishing for frees as he kept going regardless of whether he got the ump's whistle or not.

Whereas other players immediately and shamelessly look to the umps with an expression of anguish to bail them out every time an opponent is so much as within a metre of them.

100% Selwood was fishing for frees.

He just continued the play more often then not, Ginnivan was dying on that hill for said free kick.

I lived him at the pies (just not against us)
As someone else said, being the villain and seeing pppo fans go mental is fun

His 40 goal year was amazing to watch the ginni show in full swing.

He is such a smart footballer.

Was only ever going to be a matter of time after a poor 3rd season before the ship righted itself. Just needs to make sure he keeps the work rate up and not rest on his laurels think it went to his head bit in 2023.

My opinion hasn't changed, I think he has a lot of football nous, with plenty of x-factor, and he is good for the game.
I won't lie though, but his cockiness bothers me now that he is in different colours, but that is a me problem lol.

I also have nothing to base this on, but just a feeling I have....but I always suspected that he is a cream on top player when everything is clicking. He started at the Pies at just the right time and has now flicked over to the Hawks at the right time, so haven't really seen him when a team is struggling and building which is where players show their true worth. Will wait and see, but curious to see how he holds when things aren't always going so smoothly.

Things weren't going so smoothly in the elimination final against the Dogs, and he Newcombe were the ones that changed the momentum.

But I can see why you would form that opinion if you only watched him play against Collingwood this season.

I never had a particularly low opinion of Ginnivan but him previously not being a Hawthorn player, and now being a Hawthorn player, my vote in the poll is obviously yes lol. I do respect him more as a player because of how much work rate and selfless running seems to be a major part of his game when it probably wasn't previously (although I never watched him that closely for Collingwood).

Also, I guess every half forward for Hawthorn plays like this now, he's just slotted in really well to the system.

When you're known more for your celebration than you are for your on-field performance, It's not a recepie for longevity.

This isn't correct at all.

He might be 'known better' for his antics, but as long as he's playing his role and solid footy then the antics stuff is just pointless noise.

He actually played a really good game on Friday night. The way people are talking it's as if the only thing he did was kick 1 goal and pretend to drink a beer in celebration.

I put him in the Brad Close category. Handy, clever, role player, but that's it.

Surprised Brad wasn't able to cash in on the Wednesday buzz when it dropped on Netflix, since he looks like a member of the Adams family.

Or the heir to a lucrative funeral business.

Ginnivan is a quality footballer and he’s 24 is certainly better than his 23 but his decision making is questionable
  • getting caught in toilets doing drugs when your employer in the off season has traded in Bobby Hill.
  • the tik Tok issue with Q
  • Moonee Valley races night before GF
  • wearing Jockey silks to mad Monday
  • accepting Cox Plate Eve ambassador role
  • possibly there’s others unknown.

The fact Collingwood was happy to move him on raises the question. Why?

Bit like Tom Papley changing out publicly with the Wolfden Crew.

Sometimes the life of AFL comes with sacrifices the ordinary Joe doesn’t need to contemplate

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Ginnivan - Redemption arc

Back