Jack Ginnivan - Redemption arc

Has your opinion of Jack Ginnivan changed over the past 2 years?

• Yes

Votes: 66 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 154 70.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No problem with Ginnivan's comments before the game and no issues with Hinkley reminding him of them after.

Sicily carrying on like a pork chop was downright embarrassing, as was Mitchell's presser, not to mention the complete snowflake reactions of Hawks supporters in here.

Classic example of being able to give but not take.

Ginnivan's probably embarrassed by his club's reaction.

Honestly, a bit of a media-driven storm in a teacup that will soon be forgotten.

But let's tease this out a bit.

The initial social post by Ginni was an immature comment by a 21-year-old.

I'm sure most people reading this have made immature comments when they were that age. I know I have. Social media hadn't been invented yet when I was 21, but if it had been around when I was that age I'm sure I would have posted some dumb comments on social media.

More importantly, the comments were made ahead of the match.

It's not uncommon for athletes, in many sports, to talk smack about their opponents before a match, or a contest, or a fight.

That's the spirit in which Ginni's comments were made.

Ken could have responded through the media. Or at a press conference. Or he could have replied to the post on social media. Or made his comments in a pre-match interview. Or told one of his players to tell Ginni he's not flying anywhere during the match itself.

Ken Hinkley chose not to.

As we now know, it's not because he had nothing to say. It's not because he was the bigger man.

No, Ken Hinkley chose to stay silent because he's a coward.

He was under pressure because Port had choked the previous week. His job was on the line. And he knew victory wasn't certain.

And with good reason. Had Sic struck that final shot for goal a few millimetres differently, Port would have lost.

Having just seen his team to a close, hard-fought finals win against a tough opponent, Ken could have been the bigger man.

He saw how devastated the Hawks were with the result. Having been silent all week, he could have been the bigger man and let the scoreboard do the talking.

But Ken Hinkley is a coward.

He only felt confident to begin his pre-match smack talking after the final siren had sounded.

He waited until the players were gathering to chair off a legend of the game, Luke Breust, in his 300th game.

Breust is known as one of the best small forwards of the modern era, and has been an integral part of multiple premiership-winning sides.

A far better footballer than Hinkley was, either in the final years of Fitzroy, or as a part of the early '90s Geelong squad that's remembered for losing grand finals to West Coast and Carlton.

It's a record of choking that Hinkley has proudly continued as Port Adelaide's coach.

It was with his players standings behind him, with the win firmly secured, that Ken chose to be a bad winner, and make his belated response to the pre-match smack talk.

With a level of emotional maturity the football world has come to expect, it was then that Ken Hinkley, nearly 60-years-old, decided to taunt a young 21-year-old.

What he came up with wasn't witty, or clever, or funny. Just mean-spirited. "You're not flying anywhere!"

You expect that level of maturity from a 21-year-old. But it's worth repeating. Ken Hinkley is nearly 60.

If that's the level of leadership Kenneth shows, then frankly Port supporters have been completely right in questioning his ongoing role.

Not having made enough of a fool of himself already, he repeated his comments, safe in the knowledge that several Port playeds were standing behind him if anything happened. Because he's a coward.

It was at this point James Sicily, a man who is far more of a leader than Hinkley will ever be, confronted the pathetic old man. Sicily was basically obligated to stand up for his team member, and did so.

Sicily's reaction was particularly justified in light of the utter disrespect the former Fitzroy player was showing to a legend of the game in Luke Breust.

In his press conference, Sam Mitchell mostly refrained from commenting about Hinkley's pathetic display directly, except to the say — rightly — that he was proud in the leadership Sicily showed in the situation.

Hawthorn legends including Dermott Brereton Jason Dunstall, Luke Hodge, and Jordan Lewis, who witnessed the incident, were rightly scathing of Ken Hinkley and his frankly bizzare, eccentric, and cowardly antics.

Again, these experts were all far more successful as players than Hinkley was.

Clearly, the onus is now on Ken to ensure that Port win the premiership this year.

He needs to focus less on the future plane flights of a 21-year-old, and more on his own future travel itinerary.

Because another finals choke for Port, in light of this embarrassing display, will further prove why Hinkley is just not suited for continuing to coach Port Adelaide.

Last edited:
No problem with Ginnivan's comments before the game and no issues with Hinkley reminding him of them after.

Sicily carrying on like a pork chop was downright embarrassing, as was Mitchell's presser, not to mention the complete snowflake reactions of Hawks supporters in here.

Yeah fair enough.

No one really showed anything new here.

Ginni said something funny on social media, nothing in that unless you're a grump. The idea he conceded some advantage to Port is ludicrous, Port won because they're better.

Ken is a grump, hes under pressure because he's a small town coach, and took that a bit personally. Quite understandable unless you're a redpilled sook. I think he regretted heckling Ginnivan as Breust was carried off.

Sicily had a sook because he's a sook. He was just trying to stick for his team mate, got carried away. We've all done that. I reckon he's gotten a lot better. Used to be a real twit .

I'm fond of Ginnivan, I reckon he lacks a tiny bit of sober judgement, but he's happy and not nasty or arrogant. I'd hate to see the Hawks get ticked off by his antics like Fly and Ken have been.

Case in point:

Honeztly, a bit of a media-driven storm in a teacup that will soon be forgotten.

I'm sure most people reading this have made immature comments when they were that age. I know I have. Social media hadn't been invented yet when I was 21, but if it had been around when I was that age I'm sure I would have posted some dumb comments on social media.

It's not uncommon for athletes, in many sports, to talk smack about their opponents before a match, or a contest, or a fight.

Ken could have responded through the media. Or at a press conference. Or he could have replied to the post on social media. Or made his comments in a pre-match interview. Or told one of his players to tell Ginni he's not flying anywhere during the match itself.

As we now know, it's not because he had nothing to say. It's not because he was the bigger man.

He was under pressure because Port had choked the previous week. His job was on the line. And he knew victory wasn't certain.

And with good reason. Had Sic struck that final shot for goal a few millimetres differently, Port would have lost.

Having just seen his team to a close, hard-fought finals win against a tough opponent, Ken could have been the bigger man.

He saw how devastated the Hawks were with the result. Having been silent all week, he could have been the bigger man and let the scoreboard do the talking.

He only felt confident to begin his pre-match smack talking after the final siren had sounded.

He waited until the players were gathering to chair off a legend of the game, Luke Breust, in his 300th game.

Breust is known as one of the best small forwards of the modern era, and has been an integral part of multiple premiership-winning sides.

A far better footballer than Hinkley was, either in the final years of Fitzroy, or as a part of the early '90s Geelong squad that's remembered for losing grand finals to West Coast and Carlton.

It's a record of choking that Hinkley has proudly continued as Port Adelaide's coach.

It was with his players standings behind him, with the win firmly secured, that Ken chose to be a bad winner, and make his belated response to the pre-match smack talk.

With a level of emotional maturity the football world has come to expect, it was then that Ken Hinkley, nearly 60-years-old, decided to taunt a young 21-year-old.

What he came up with wasn't witty, or clever, or funny. Just mean-spirited. "You're not flying anywhere!"

You expect that level of maturity from a 21-year-old. But it's worth repeating. Ken Hinkley is nearly 60.

If that's the level of leadership Kenneth shows, then frankly Port supporters have been completely right in questioning his ongoing role.

Not having made enough of a fool of himself already, he repeated his comments, safe in gge knowledge that several Port playeds were standing behind him if anything happened. Because he's a coward.

It was at this point James Sicily, a man who is far more of a leader than Hinkley will ever be, confronted the pathetic old man. Sicily was basically obligated to stand up for his team member, and did so.

Sicily's reaction was particularly justified in light of the utter disrespect the former Fitzroy player was showing to a legend of the game in Luke Breust.

In his press conference, Sam Mitchell mostly refrained from commenting about Hinkley's pathetic displadirectlyy, except to the say — rightly — that he was proud in the leadership Sicily showed in the situation.

Hawthorn legends including Dermott Brereton Jason Dunstall, Luke Hodge, and Jordan Lewis, who witnessed the incident, were rightly scathing of Ken Hinkley and his frankly bizzare, eccentric, and cowardly antics.

Again, these experts were all far more successful as players than Hinkley was. Lest we

Clearly, the onus is now on Ken to ensure that Port win the premiership this year.

He needs to focus less on the future plane flights of a 21-year-old, and more on his own future travel itinerary.

Because another finals choke for Port, in lightif this embarrassing display, will further prove why Hinkley is just not suited for continuing to coach Port Adelaide.

Honeztly, a bit of a media-driven storm in a teacup that will soon be forgotten.

Not having made enough of a fool of himself already, he repeated his comments, safe in gge knowledge that several Port playeds were standing behind him if anything happened. Because he's a coward.

In his press conference, Sam Mitchell mostly refrained from commenting about Hinkley's pathetic displadirectlyy, except to the say — rightly — that he was proud in the leadership Sicily showed in the situation.

Again, these experts were all far more successful as players than Hinkley was. Lest we

Because another finals choke for Port, in lightif this embarrassing display, will further prove why Hinkley is just not suited for continuing to coach Port Adelaide.
Congratulations on winning Melt Of The Year 👏

And with good reason. Had Sic struck that final shit for goal a few millimetres differently, Port would have lost.

He only felt confident to begin his pre-match smack talking after the final siren.

Breust is known as one of the best small forwards of the modern era, and has been an integral part of multiple premiership sides.

It was with his players standings behind him, with the win firmly secured, that Ken chose to be a bad winner, and respond to the pre-match smack talk.

In his press conference, Sam Mitchell refrained from commenting about Hinkley's pathetic display, except to the say — rightly — that he was proud in the leadership Sicily showed in the situation.

You were going reasonably well until you childishly belittled and sneered at Hinkley’s playing and coaching record and character. Hinkley played approximately 130 VFL/AFL matches, which I would warrant is 130 more than you did.

Not sure what weight we should place on the opinions of Brereton, Dunstall, Hodge and Lewis, particularly as they can hardly be described as unbiased. Since you cite their playing records as being superior to Hinkley’s, which they undoubtedly were, what’s their coaching records like? Hinkley has coached 271 AFL matches with a W/L in excess of 60%. The 4 you mentioned have coached precisely zero matches. So if you’re going to cite playing records as being relevant, what about coaching records? And how many AFL matches have you coached?

Other champion ex players, who actually have no skin in the game, such as Jonathan Brown and Nathan Buckley think the whole business is a storm in a teacup, and that Ginnivan had it coming.

I don’t think Ginnivan deliberately disrespected Port. However it should be a salient lesson for him to be careful what he posts to social media, or it can come back to bite you big time.

Juvenile and precious overreaction from Sicily, Mitchell, biased ex Hawk players and salty Hawk supporters.

Last edited:

I think you’re externalising your club’s poor standards and let Sammy “arsehat” Mitchell off here.

Yesterday - Sammy crying foul -
“We have a very young player who was having some very aggressive words said to him by a much older man, who’s been in the game for a long time.“

Earlier in the season - he abuses his own… soooo much worse.
IMG_2129.jpeg

Mitchell confronted the 90-game defender and appeared to drop a number of F-bombs in his direction as he thrust his iPad towards him to make his point.

You've absolutely melted there, mate. Embarrassing stuff. That's an actual essay.

I think you’re externalising your club’s poor standards and let Sammy “arsehat” Mitchell off here.

Yesterday - Sammy crying foul -
“We have a very young player who was having some very aggressive words said to him by a much older man, who’s been in the game for a long time.“

Earlier in the season - he abuses his own… soooo much worse.
IMG_2129.jpeg

Mitchell confronted the 90-game defender and appeared to drop a number of F-bombs in his direction as he thrust his iPad towards him to make his point.

not gonna lie, reading your post i thought you were gonna post this

OBeJ02.gif

Full disclosure, if Chris Scott did what Ken Hinkley did, I'd wonder if the clock was ticking on his time as a senior coach. I loved that Ken did it, but equally loved that he doesn't coach my club.

I can't imagine he's the type, but funnily enough, I reckon Hinkley's actions have inadvertently presented a fork on the road for the Ginnivan experience at Hawthorn. If Hinkley had gone the regular route of a few thinly veiled swipes in the press conference about a bit of extra motivation drawn by a few social media comments, it's probably a dead issue publicly by now and privately Ginnivan would have been taken aside and told that enough was enough.

But since every Hawthorn person, whether they're part of the inner sanctum or external, has heartily endorsed Ginnivan and several others' antagonistic style consistently throughout the year, Hinkley's very public rebuke of Ginnivan's comments effectively wedged the Hawks, they had no choice but to give Ginnivan's actions the tick of approval and make it all about big, bad Ken. Of course Mitchell would have liked to give Ginnivan a bit of the treatment shown in Rick Ross's post above and Sicily probably would have too. Instead, they had to settle for giving him a foot rub.

So Ginnivan moves forward with the knowledge that everyone at Hawthorn is 100% behind him. If he posts a photo of himself boarding a plane to Sydney this week, they can hardly have a problem with it now, can they? Feels like they're past the point of no return: so in 2025 they'll be doing the overcelebrating after every goal, team selfies on the ground after every win and they'll have an unusually large target on their collective backs for a team that finished sixth. So we'll see how it goes.

Reasonable for someone who knows nothing about footy, perhaps.

But Ken's reaction broke with a convention of the game, and it was spineless to boot.

Where's the bravado before the game was won?

Where was he at quarter time, half time, three quarter time?

The game is over. Winners don't need to flap their wings and gloat in a way that's embarrassing for them, and embarrassing to watch. They've already won and the footy has done the talking.

It's a fool's response.

Everyone on that field is aware of what has happened, and a fat man flapping his wings after the siren is doing nothing to drive the point home any further.

Just paints him as a clown, who at his age and position in the game, should be a little more self aware.
The biggest clown to come out of this is your coach after he sooked it up. Most neutrals love what Ken did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You were going reasonably well until you childishly attacked Hinkley’s playing and coaching record and character. Hinkley played approximately 130 VFL/AFL matches, which I would warrant is 130 more than you did.
With all due respect, I'm also not a nearly-60-year-old coach who's making a spectacle of himself by heckling a 21-year-old player while a legend of the sport is about to be chaired off the ground.

That's Ken Hinkley.

Hinkley's record as a player is relevant because, as a guy who's career highlights included being traded by Fitzroy in its final years, he should have given the respect to a man who is a far greater footballer than he ever was.

The person who called Ken Hinkley's character into question was Ken Hinkley.

This is the latest in a string of poor choices and bizzare emotional outbursts by Ken.

It's not unreasonable to expect more emotional maturity from a 57-year-old in a position of authority, than a 21-year-old who's just starting his career.

Not sure what weight we should place on the opinions of Brereton, Dunstall, Hodge and Lewis, particularly as they can hardly be described as unbiased.

They are all legends of our great sport. After carefully examining and analysing the chain of events, they came to the same conclusion: That Ken Hinkley is the morally culpable party here.

Ken was likely the crazy uncle making a scene at a wedding. Didn't have the courage to speak until the match was won, and his visibly embarrassed players were standing behind him.

Even if something the kids said triggered him, Uncle Kenny was in the wrong in making a scene, embarrassing himself and those around him.

James did the right thing by letting crazy uncle Kenny know that he's making a fool of himself.

Other champion ex players, who actually have no skin in the game, such as Jonathan Brown and Nathan Buckley think the whole business is a storm in a teacup, and that Ginnivan had it coming.
I agree that this is a storm in a teacup, and that Ginni showed the level of maturity one would expact from a 21-year-old.

But surely we should expect better from a 57-year-old.
Juvenile and precious overreaction from Sicily, Mitchell, biased ex Hawk players and salty Hawk supporters.
Sicily showed real leadership by standing up to Ken Hinkley in the circumstances.

Mitchell was right to praise Sicily's leadership.

Oh, and as for Ken's coaching record, I think he should focus on beating the Swans, and then Geelong or Brisbane.

He really should worry less about Ginni's next flight, and worry more about his own.

Honestly, a bit of a media-driven storm in a teacup that will soon be forgotten.

Not having made enough of a fool of himself already, he repeated his comments, safe in the knowledge that several Port playeds were standing behind him if anything happened. Because he's a coward.

Just so you know, I am not reading any of that

You've absolutely melted there, mate. Embarrassing stuff. That's an actual essay.

🤣

Just providing a fair and honest analysis of who's morally to blame here.

And when you break down what happened, clearly almost all the blame lies with Ken Hinkley.

Really, this whole episode has further exposed Hinckley's cowardice, immaturity, and lack of emotional self control.

If Port manages not to choke against the Swans (that's a big if), those character flaws should be good news for your mob in a little under two weeks...

I'm not a Hinkley fan, but this penalty is unwarranted. Trash talk is part of sport, and there was no racism, sexism or homophobia. Harden the * up.

"We understand it is a passionate game with a lot at stake for all clubs, however Ken made a decision to engage with opposition players post-match - a decision he has since admitted was the wrong one," AFL General Counsel Stephen Meade said.

"Ken has acknowledged that his emotions got the better of him in the moment, however as a senior coach his actions fell well below what is expected by the AFL.

"As we reiterated last week, opposition officials and players inappropriately engaging each other is something we don't want to see because of the potential to escalate and the example that it sets for football at lower levels and we are disappointed the moment took away from what was one of the great finals matches."

Totally justified decision, based on sound reasoning. A good call by the AFL.

Because another finals choke for Port, in light of this embarrassing display, will further prove why Hinkley is just not suited for continuing to coach Port Adelaide.
Person with a keyboard alias calls a man without one a coward several times. Seems ironic to anyone else?

🤣

Just providing a fair and honest analysis of who's morally to blame here.

And when you break down what happened, clearly almost all the blame lies with Ken Hinkley.

Really, this whole episode has further exposed Hinckley's cowardice, immaturity, and lack of emotional self control.

If Port manages not to choke against the Swans (that's a big if), those character flaws should be good news for your mob in a little under two weeks...
get a grip mate. thank god you lot are out of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Ginnivan - Redemption arc

Back