Player Watch Jack Ginnivan (Traded to Hawks 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

When are BnFs booked in? Is it after you get knocked out of finals? In which case they may have booked the clinic before they knew the bnf was the night before.
With respect mate who cares, don’t make excuses for them.
We’d be front page of the papers and headline the news every night for a week.
Not to mention BF and Twitter!

With respect mate who cares, don’t make excuses for them.
We’d be front page of the papers and headline the news every night for a week.
Not to mention BF and Twitter!
I'm a bit torn. I love that the Hawks are copping it, but I like Ginnivan and think it's great that he takes the off field shite as seriously as it should be taken - eg not at all seriously.

His two latest dramas are ridiculous: he made a harmless quip and called in sick to a footy clinic - the devil spawn.

I'm a bit torn. I love that the Hawks are copping it, but I like Ginnivan and think it's great that he takes the off field shite as seriously as it should be taken - eg not at all seriously.

His two latest dramas are ridiculous: he made a harmless quip and called in sick to a footy clinic - the devil spawn.
call me old fashioned, but when you charge people you should deliver on what they’ve paid for.

That he'd (or his manager) had arranged - charged a fee for it - kids were primed and he and his colleague called it off with about 1 - 2 hrs notice.

Be different if half a dozen players were going and one pulled out leaving 5. On this occasion the only two players who were running the clinic pulled out for spurious reason(s) at next to no notice - did the clinic go ahead? I guess not.

call me old fashioned, but when you charge people you should deliver on what they’ve paid for.
That he'd (or his manager) had arranged - charged a fee for it - kids were primed and he and his colleague called it off with about 1 - 2 hrs notice.

Be different if half a dozen players were going and one pulled out leaving 5. On this occasion the only two players who were running the clinic pulled out for spurious reason(s) at next to no notice - did the clinic go ahead? I guess not.

I get it, but at the same time he has just called in sick. I'd assume it'd be re-scheduled or refunded.

Last edited:
Mate you're even grumpier that me. I'm over 50 and nothing about the boys these days computes. The casual drug use, the idiot online behaviour, it's mystifying ...
I know right. Back in my day we took it seriously. Ginni needs to have a chat with Crossisca, he knew how to do it properly.

Spot on. Watched an interview with Jacko the other day, going on about all the money he made for the league. Loathsome character but has a point.

Glad fly is at the pies, ginni the hawks but one is a killjoy, the other entertaining. Maybe I am getting old, maybe I took my drug use way too seriously back in the day but frankly footy is becoming so predictable & pc cleansed it depresses me.

All these incidents with Jack may seem borderline harmless but from day one he became a polarising figure in the AFL causing inordinate amounts of debate and attention for a kid who was just beginning his career.
How many times did Fly have to go in to bat for him or the club go into damage control because of his actions. Fly has always said he forgives but if you break you word to him and repeat offend he will have no time for you. Result, he's gone for a packet of chips.

It's the same story at the Hawks - incident after incident, however minor they may seem, with Jack the common denominator.
After the infamous tweet to Grundy he reportedly was hauled in by the leadership and apologised to the playing group, and recently came out and said himself he had to "grow up" . A couple of weeks later and the Hawks footy Boss fronts the media to defend "an isolated incident".
So Jack only has himself to blame - he relishes the limelight, and his mate the "Wizard" is much the same. However, if you want the spotlight you have to be prepared to be scrutinised a lot harder than the norm - you become click bait and the sharks are there just waiting for you to stumble. He knows this and yet he still makes these foolish decisions.

In the end you have to ask yourself do you believe Jack is just dumb and impulsive and doesn't realise the consequences of his actions or does he have an inclination to the ramifications but just doesn't care. From what I have seen it looks like the later . Maybe in times past when you had to work for a living and AFL was only semi professional and there was no social media you could get away with being that way but, like it or not, not in this era.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jack Ginnivan (Traded to Hawks 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back