Confirmed Jack Graham - Heads to West Coast as FA - Richmond Receive End of R2 Compo

Grahams Future

• Richmond Tigers

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Adelaide Crows

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • other

Votes: 23 41.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It's the first time in the history of AFL Free Agency that a 4 year deal hasn't got band 1, 2 or 3 for a player aged 26 or under.
I'm not going to defend either VFL House or the FA Compensation system, but this statement is simply not true.

26 year-old Adam Tomlinson similarly received band 4 in 2019 for a 5-year $500k p.a. (reported) contact (noting that $500k then would be equivalent to much more today).

The pick is useless to us other than packaging it for points to another club, so hopefully it assists in that area.
The benefit for us is that Graham was stagnating/regressing hard on our list, and while his effort and endevour are never questioned, he didn't have enough onfield strengths to be worth keeping around for another 4 years.

I think his seniority and leadership would have been important for a couple of the next seasons, but was not happy when we offered 4 years for someone who's footy hasn't kicked on from early promise.

I'm not going to defend either VFL House or the FA Compensation system, but this statement is simply not true.

26 year-old Adam Tomlinson similarly received band 4 in 2019 for a 5-year $500k p.a. (reported) contact (noting that $500k then would be equivalent to much more today).

That Article has it at 4 years but yeah get your point.

I have a feeling they look at the sides, their picks and their current draft hand in how they make the determination.

2019 Richmond - B Ellis is like band 3 on a 600k 5 contract to the Suns
2019 GWS - The deal listed above

Both Grand Finalists

With this, we have a glut of picks and they just looked at it threw something there after being criticised on the compensation earlier.

Here is a great question I would love to look at. Do you get better FA Compensation if the deal is done earlier in the window or later?

All I am going off is the media saying how much the contract was for and for how long.

And underlying it is the fact (as far as I am concerned) that the AFL adds some secret spices to FA compo. That means that the 'rules' are more guidelines. Most FA's are straightforward and what you'd expect. Graham's compo seems a bit off. And this year the Tigers are cleaning up in draft picks (likely anyway). So the secret spices drop the compo. They do this all the time. This really annoys me. The AFL adjusts rules to support certain game styles (and so teams). e.g. The Pies won a premiership with a game plan that relied on creating stoppages etc. Then after they won the AFL changed the rule interpretations to make that style less likely to win. Just makes the whole thing dodgy and makes me annoyed.

It's definitely dodgy.

They use compensation picks to award defacto priority picks as well which is what happened last year with Ben McKay. That said, Graham is nowhere near the footballer that Isaac Smith was and he got Hawthorn a compensation pick in the 40s. Smith also went on to win the Norm Smith medal.

It's definitely dodgy.

They use compensation picks to award defacto priority picks as well which is what happened last year with Ben McKay. That said, Graham is nowhere near the footballer that Isaac Smith was and he got Hawthorn a compensation pick in the 40s. Smith also went on to win the Norm Smith medal.

Oh yeah Graham isn't the first one the get this sort of treatment. Busy for pick 19 (I think it was).

If they want you to get a hand up magic happens. If they want you stay less competitive other magic happens.

That's is a bit surprising given 3 of your top 5 players are leaving
We are about to have a lot of high ends picks walk in the door and have had a injury list longer than Matt Schervingtons d
The main point is that he is a nothing player these days.
Terrible by foot and decision maker.
Baker is the opposite so enjoy and take care of him please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's about fair for him but what I don't understand is why he gets #42 and Battle + those guys from GWS are all way higher. Would love more clarification from the AFL on the compo system.
Because they got bigger contracts.

It's about fair for him but what I don't understand is why he gets #42 and Battle + those guys from GWS are all way higher. Would love more clarification from the AFL on the compo system.
The afl intentionally makes compensation as murky as possible to ensure that the afl's franchises in GWS and GC are able to dominate the draft every year. There are other mechanisms as well the afl uses to ensure their competitiveness with increased salary caps, larger lists and academies.

Just another mechanism the afl uses to load the dice in favour of expansion teams.

We are about to have a lot of high ends picks walk in the door and have had a injury list longer than Matt Schervingtons d
The main point is that he is a nothing player these days.
Terrible by foot and decision maker.
Baker is the opposite so enjoy and take care of him please.
I will take the view of both clubs as Richmond did offer a new contract as well.

Will be interesting to see the age profile of the Tigers best 22 next year as it wasn't particularly young during the season just gone

Graham was borderline best 22 in the spoon team. He's a somewhat limited player
42 is overs

Graham was borderline best 22 in the spoon team. He's a somewhat limited player
42 is overs

This is somewhat true and Bailey Smith is 10 times better so really you should be handing over Pick 4 ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed Jack Graham - Heads to West Coast as FA - Richmond Receive End of R2 Compo

Back