Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • other

Votes: 23 41.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Its not beyond the realms of possibility and would make sense, but jeez that is a lot moving parts to ensure noone gets dudded. Too far out IMO.
Nothing has happened yet though. Would be easy to get it done if the clubs had worked out some arrangement
Has Baker nominated West Coast?
Apologies if he has and I wasn’t aware.
He may have done so and not declared it publicly

Not sure about that. It's not like Eagles are strapped for cash and we don't even know where Baker wants to go. I'd say they'd be kept completely separate.

They gave Matt Flynn 3 years and he'd played 30 odd games.
Having plenty of salary to throw around makes the sneaky deal even more likely tbh.

We easily have the ability to offer Graham an extra 150k or whatever it needs to be

Nothing has happened yet though. Would be easy to get it done if the clubs had worked out some arrangement

He may have done so and not declared it publicly
Graham will move in the first week of trade week under fa timings. It would be in Richmond’s interest to let this happen before we negotiate payment for Baler. If that is be decided to leave, and if he does, he wants to go to WC.

Having plenty of salary to throw around makes the sneaky deal even more likely tbh.

We easily have the ability to offer Graham an extra 150k or whatever it needs to be
Yeah, I guess. It all depends what picks Eagles and Tigers end up with. If we do end up with 6 1st rounders as speculated and you get one for Barrass, a deal should be able to get done pretty easy. We'd be able to do some swaps to keep everyone happy (or unhappy)

Graham will move in the first week of trade week under fa timings. It would be in Richmond’s interest to let this happen before we negotiate payment for Baler. If that is be decided to leave, and if he does, he wants to go to WC.
No doubt if west coast were any chance of getting Baker, theyd have a deal hashed out before signing graham

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet another player getting a compo pick way better than he's really worth at the trade table.

AFL really need to grow some nuts and fix the farce
Once they bring in trading cap space for picks we shouldn't need free agency compo at all any more. Right now it's there as an extra equalisation method more than it is to truly compensate clubs for losing a player.

No doubt if west coast were any chance of getting Baker, theyd have a deal hashed out before signing graham
Yup, both would have agreed to contractual terms before trade negotiations begin.

In Grahams case it seems like he’s been convinced to go to west coast and that would assume a contract has been put to him and he’s agreed to it. Then when fa opens he’s an Eagle.

We have no idea whether Baker even wants to be an eagle, but he’s also likely to have a contract offer in front of him. If he doesn’t accept and decides to stay at the Tigers or go to the Dockers, the Graham contract will remain the same. They aren’t interlinked as much as some west coast fans would like to believe.

I have no idea why West Coast are doing this but I am very very happy about it.
I think we are getting you pick 22 for Graham so we pay less for Baker.

Its pretty much salary trading with the afl providing the compensation through free agency compo .

I don't believe we would be that stupid to offer Graham that without an ulterior motive .

If we did it would be a bone head move

Yet another player getting a compo pick way better than he's really worth at the trade table.

AFL really need to grow some nuts and fix the farce

Yes and no. Think less about the player and more about what is being paid. Is $X for X years worth a sliding scale pick that depends on the finishing position of the team losing the player? The player is irrelevant. Ben McKay would never been traded for the pick that North got but the contract itself was worth it. The big issue is the rest of the league loses while the two clubs work within the rules. Theoretically we could sign Baker for 4 years, then trade him to West Coast and pay a bunch of his salary. Then the Eagles way overpay for Graham and we get Pick 2 as compensation.

These are the rules though, it's the AFL solving one problem and creating another. It's like rewarding players with frees for ducking the head which encourages more to do it and then we get more concussions.

I actually think the Bowes + Pick 7 trade is probably better in the grand scheme of things because the rest of the league doesn't have to foot the bill. The fact that Bowes apparently agreed to spread his deal out over a couple of extra years tells me he has the worst management in existence.

Yes and no. Think less about the player and more about what is being paid. Is $X for X years worth a sliding scale pick that depends on the finishing position of the team losing the player? The player is irrelevant. Ben McKay would never been traded for the pick that North got but the contract itself was worth it. The big issue is the rest of the league loses while the two clubs work within the rules. Theoretically we could sign Baker for 4 years, then trade him to West Coast and pay a bunch of his salary. Then the Eagles way overpay for Graham and we get Pick 2 as compensation.

These are the rules though, it's the AFL solving one problem and creating another. It's like rewarding players with frees for ducking the head which encourages more to do it and then we get more concussions.

I actually think the Bowes + Pick 7 trade is probably better in the grand scheme of things because the rest of the league doesn't have to foot the bill. The fact that Bowes apparently agreed to spread his deal out over a couple of extra years tells me he has the worst management in existence.
Regarding the B Mckay trade and other FA last year. They were all overcompensated due to the AFL for whatever reason not accounting for the CBA increases from 2024.

I expect for this reason that this year the compensations will be nowhere as generous as last year.

Yup, both would have agreed to contractual terms before trade negotiations begin.

In Grahams case it seems like he’s been convinced to go to west coast and that would assume a contract has been put to him and he’s agreed to it. Then when fa opens he’s an Eagle.

We have no idea whether Baker even wants to be an eagle, but he’s also likely to have a contract offer in front of him. If he doesn’t accept and decides to stay at the Tigers or go to the Dockers, the Graham contract will remain the same. They aren’t interlinked as much as some west coast fans would like to believe.
We dont know, but its a safe assumption that Baker, who is Grahams best mate and was considering west coast anyway, would be a part of that.

Why would Baker stay at Richmond while his mate goes to the club he grew up supporting?

Its not like Graham is a superstar who is an obvoius get, I dont mind to much if we pay band 4/5 salary for him

Come on dude join the dots

I think we are getting you pick 22 for Graham so we pay less for Baker.

Its pretty much salary trading with the afl providing the compensation through free agency compo .

I don't believe we would be that stupid to offer Graham that without an ulterior motive .

If we did it would be a bone head move

That's a win for both but does require you overpaying Graham. Assume that the free agency compo would beee to be seen first.

We dont know, but its a safe assumption that Baker, who is Grahams best mate and was considering west coast anyway, would be a part of that.

Why would Baker stay at Richmond while his mate goes to the club he grew up supporting?

Its not like Graham is a superstar who is an obvoius get, I dont mind to much if we pay band 4/5 salary for him

Thats a massive stretch 😂

Where are you getting this that Baker and Graham are best mates? Baker is actually best mates with Short.

But that doesn’t fit your narrative as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unrestricted Free Agent Jack Graham [UFA 2024]

Back