Rumour Jack Luk-no-sius

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's be honest here.

Regardless of whether he would have cost too much or not, it's another player we've targeted and failed to attract to our club

This is despite Luko apparently being on a huge contract that requires a salary dump, despite him being a Crows fan growing up, despite our coaching meeting him during the season to try and lure him. All things that should have worked in our favor
Yeah agreed, though there are some legitmate reasons why he would choose Port over us - it was probably a true 50/50 call (or thereabouts). The big one for me is whether we can land Cumming.

Not that I'm any position to speak for him, but you'd think that we tick most boxes fhim so should really be in the box seat. If he ends up choosing Port over us in spite of that, it will be a massive concern.

lets wait and hear the deal.... i think you might find port upped their money substantially to get him over the line. then the rozzee relationship comes into it.

Maybe but I'd say he has known he was going to Port for at least a few weeks but needed to test the market and needed to wait for them to finish.

Cumming will be a bigger test. Given he has already played some finals and has a connection.

Would have been nice to get Luko to see if we could get out of him where the Suns have basically failed but that's life. What will be interesting is how and where the Powa will utilise him, if it's as a KPF or KPD I will watch with interest because that's not where I see him being best utilised. Will also be interesting how they structure his salary.
Reportedly they’re spreading some of that back-ended salary out into the added four years of the new contract, if that makes sense

He would be the best role player we'd bring to the club this off season if we landed him and the best role player we acquired under Nicks
I’m genuinely torn here. On one hand I really like Luko as a player as he has genuine X factor and high level disposal. However the simple truth is that we are in the predicament that we are in because of our complete failure to address the midfield through the draft for the last 10 years. To this end if you said should we use next years 1st on Lukoscius, or to draft another midfielder, then I think the sensible option is the draft.

We are just lucky that we have a deep midfield draft this year and have pick 4. I would love to see us do whatever we can to get a second top 10 pick this year. Maybe F1 and 25 for Saints Battle compo (8).

If we can get Langford/Draper and Lalor/O’Sullivan this year it would potentially make up for those 10 years of stupidity.

I’m genuinely torn here. On one hand I really like Luko as a player as he has genuine X factor and high level disposal. However the simple truth is that we are in the predicament that we are in because of our complete failure to address the midfield through the draft for the last 10 years. To this end if you said should we use next years 1st on Lukoscius, or to draft another midfielder, then I think the sensible option is the draft.

We are just lucky that we have a deep midfield draft this year and have pick 4. I would love to see us do whatever we can to get a second top 10 pick this year. Maybe F1 and 25 for Saints Battle compo (8).

If we can get Langford/Draper and Lalor/O’Sullivan this year it would potentially make up for those 10 years of stupidity.
We're not getting any 2 of those 4 you named, ain't no way clubs are trading out top end picks in this draft.

Would have been nice to get Luko to see if we could get out of him where the Suns have basically failed but that's life. What will be interesting is how and where the Powa will utilise him, if it's as a KPF or KPD I will watch with interest because that's not where I see him being best utilised. Will also be interesting how they structure his salary.

Posted it before but I'll post again. I'd love for the AFL to publish all clubs current and future commitments. Not by player, just the number of players signed in that year and the total cap committed. That way we can see the car crash coming and it would reduce the conspiracies around outside cap payments. You'd only publish the numbers after a certain number of contracts have been signed, otherwise you'd know what the first player signed in that season would be.

We should be looking at next year trading our 2026 and 2025 first for Sharp.

This year get in Draper/etc and develop Curtin and Edwards.

bashing Port when it comes to list management lacks some serious self-awareness.

They may bring a lot of shit in but they get some gems in too.

This could be another one.

Yeah they don't win a flag but the Port experience since the draft in 2018 has been much better than ours.

It's amazing how much weight player's carry in these situations lately. Port offer a future first which will likely be 15 to 18. If Crows offered a future first it was likely 4 to 10 and from what I understand a better offer to Luko. And still where the player choses is apparently more important than the best deal for GC?

One thing I think we can take to the bank is Powa are now most certainly pushing Houston out the door so hopefully his suitors are clued up that the advent of Luko means they can use that against them when ponying up for Dan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gut feel only, but you have to be willing to trade and bring in players when you're up.

Going to a top 4 team and being sold that you're the missing piece to get a premiership would be very tempting.

2017 we only brought in Gibbs, 2012 Angus Graham. The two years the club had the most desirability.

Not a lot of data, we've only had 2 top 4 finishes in over a decade, expand to top 8, 2015 - Dean Gore (Geelong Cats), Curtly Hampton (GWS Giants), Paul Seedsman (Collingwood), Troy Menzel (Carlton) and 2016 missed Gibbs.

Obviously we've just had no predictable period at the top of the ladder to sell the vision to new players and manage contracts for those we want to cut.

Top side and all of a sudden your lesser players have more trade value than they would elsewhere, people want to play for you.

If we had the potential to spend half a decade in the top 4, after a year or two, would we be willing to cut players and trade in at the risk of offending the senior players, or we'd be comfortable and locked in while rewarding senior players with tenure?

Hopefully one day we'll find out.

Last edited:
bashing Port when it comes to list management lacks some serious self-awareness.

They may bring a lot of shit in but they get some gems in too.

This could be another one.

Yeah they don't win a flag but the Port experience since the draft in 2018 has been much better than ours.
100%. They have always been bold when trying to bring in players they want. Whether they have worked or not is another question. They put up 6 years at what is likely to be significant money and would have sold him as their key forward with Georgiades. He wasn't getting that at GC with Walter, King and Read and with us, Thilthorpe, Fogarty and the incoming Welsh and Curtin floating around there too.

100%. They have always been bold when trying to bring in players they want. Whether they have worked or not is another question. They put up 6 years at what is likely to be significant money and would have sold him as their key forward with Georgiades. He wasn't getting that at GC with Walter, King and Read and with us, Thilthorpe, Fogarty and the incoming Welsh and Curtin floating around there too.
Only reason they can be bold this year is because Dan Houston wanting home has landed in their lap, that's sfa to do with management that's just plain good luck. Before Dan Houston's situation landed in their lap they had very little collateral to do anything.

They're already four years into their "3-flags-in-5-years" dynasty

Yep, and our 4 year draft rebuild concluded 2021. And our key 4 mids this year would have been Laird, Crouch, Sloane and Dawson if not for injury. 3 guys that have been here for a decade and a half back flanker that we traded in. I think poking fun at the mob up the road is a touch misguided. And at least they put their aspirations out there, remember our 5 year plan that we fully succeeded against despite winning the 2020 spoon and not having played finals since 2017?

If one of the SA clubs is a joke, it's certainly not Port Adelaide.

Possibly ...... but there are a number of variables that affect your argument. Most clubs target the come-home players. And it seems that Victorian clubs have greater success, but that is obviously skewed because most players initially come from Victoria! Geelong is the best example of this.
Port has some success in attracting non-SA players, but mostly they are attempted money-ball trades with only a modest success rate. Dixon and Rioli stand out as an exception to this, but the list of fails is much longer. I wouldn't want to be like Port with their endless dysfunctional missing link process. And if they think that Lukosius is going to transform their forward line and be the main hit up target, he and they might be disappointed. He would have been better coming to us and becoming a second or third target alongside Thilthorpe and Fogarty. And I admit to being disappointed he won't be that player for us.
The other non-Victorian clubs don't tend to attract big star trades unless there is a huge amount of money at stake, plus the benefits that the AFL give those clubs to achieve this - the best example being Sydney who always seem to have the cash to attract a Hall, Everett, Franklin, Lockett kind of big name import. Brisbane is also an exception to this - perhaps its the weather!
The best way to recruit good players is always to win at the draft. That is what we have to do. Consistently get rid of the dead wood, find our way up the draft list, recruit well and then keep the players we draft by having a strong culture and by WINNING! Then perhaps you might just attract a want-away star that not from SA.
Look of course you can’t be naive of course the main reason players move is to go home and because of the limited players SA produces in the first place that’s naturally a small pool compared to Victoria and WA and having to factor in team success which the Crows simply don’t have as a factor as well so yes the pool is very limited.

More so what I was saying with this specific situation is as unfair as it may appear to some you have to accept not being so fussy like people were being with Lukosius as options have become so limited to the club.

Only reason they can be bold this year is because Dan Houston wanting home has landed in their lap, that's sfa to do with management that's just plain good luck. Before Dan Houston's situation landed in their lap they had very little collateral to do anything.
Little Because they were bold in selling the farm for JHF.

Besides, if Luko couldn't get to Port this year...might he have just rather stayed another year on the GC instead of coming to us?

Noone can defend the club's performance in drafting and trading since 2016. It's been abysmal with some brighter spots being the exception not the rule.

6 year contract to someone who is being offloaded. I suppose that's what he asked for but risky. Interesting if GC pay any of his 2-year contract. The AFL needs to make sure that is adhered to.

Just wait until Port some how get a first rounder coming with Luko from GC, this place will melt. There are already toys out of the cot type stuff here.
I don't think it is about melting on this.

i just read he is in Rozees wedding party, so yeah that complicates things.

But the AFC is or atleast used to be, the premier sporting club in the state, we should be understanding why players don't choose us.

You'd also be hard pressed to find anyone who wouldn't think he is first 22 at either Port or the Crows, sure the cost/benefit of that best 22 player is going to be debated, but as it stands Port have, assuming this goes through, improved their best 22 at a rate at least equal to ours.. they finished 4th. We finished 15.

Lets hope that organic growth is supercharged.

Little Because they were bold in selling the farm for JHF.

Besides, if Luko couldn't get to Port this year...might he have just rather stayed another year on the GC instead of coming to us?

Noone can defend the club's performance in drafting and trading since 2016. It's been abysmal with some brighter spots being the exception not the rule.

They were also bold in giving Ratugolea a 5 year / 800k per year contract

Now they are stuck with a player that can’t play forward or back, with little football IQ

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd rather our f1 than luko, so if that was the deal then I'm glad we missed out.

But I think West Lakes works against us big time, the sooner we move to a proper suburban footy club with first class facilities the better.

This is a huge factor IMO.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app
The sooner we start winning some games the better.

It's amazing how much weight player's carry in these situations lately. Port offer a future first which will likely be 15 to 18. If Crows offered a future first it was likely 4 to 10 and from what I understand a better offer to Luko. And still where the player choses is apparently more important than the best deal for GC?

Well yeah, the player has to agree to the trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Jack Luk-no-sius

Remove this Banner Ad

Back