Traded Jack Steven [traded to Geelong for #58]

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok so Stephen Hill wouldnt be chased because of injury concerns and would have minimal value. I suppose you can assume Steven's is being chased by Geelong which might increase his value a little bit to your valuation of pick 20-25 but I dont think too many Geelong fans would be happy with that unless he gets on the park at some point in the rest of the season and shows he can play still.

That makes 26 not too far off in value for Steven's anyway (per your assessment)

So your real problem is in paying 5 for Hill. If you want an elite contracted player, you will have to pay - see all our trades of late.

I think you've said yourself Hill is worth 10ish contracted. I'd say he's worth 10ish uncontracted, and he's contracted for 2 years.

As Shadow89 said, some other picks swaps might be needed but it seems to be pretty spot on all round

Upon further inspection and in a perfect world, I would probably change the 2nd we give up to a third, because Kelly is worth far more than Hill and a 10 pick downgrade. That's really just semantics though, as Hill is contracted, so it does up the value a bit.

Yes, but like Hannebery, the Giants were keen to free up some salary cap space. We dont have that issue.
No you don't but you also have the issue that he will walk at the end of next year for a compensation pick which is out of your control, as well as the fact that do the saints really wanna play hard ball with a guy whose been a champion of your club but is a lot closer to the end then he is the start of his career and who is clearly struggling on a personal level. To be honest I don't care either way and aren't trying to get a bargain for my own club (mainly because I have 0 inout into Geelongs list management) but I just think this is the way these things are starting to head these days. If I were a St.Kilda supporter I wouldn't want to be clinging to hope of a late 1st, 2nd or even a 3rd rounder for an ageing guy whose best attribute is he's running going to a team that is deep in his best position is all Im saying.

Well played Geelong

2 years wanting to go
Devalued just prior to free agency

What a coincidence
To be fair, the cats have asked about him multiple times since 2015 including last year at a time when his value was sky high. It's only now his playing future is questionable that he's on the table at all.

To be fair, the cats have asked about him multiple times since 2015 including last year at a time when his value was sky high. It's only now his playing future is questionable that he's on the table at all.

Hang in its well known he surfs with danger and Dalhause

You don't think he's in his ear
You don't relinquish he's been pressured

That's enough to give you mental issues
After a long periods at one place it's only natural

I think a pick in the mid twenties would be fair for both clubs it’s a slight risk but you would be getting a player that still has 3-4 years of quality playing left who will thrive not getting the same amount of opposition attention the club would not let him go for a 3rd rounder we would hold him to his contract for next season!
Jack definitely doesn't have 3-4 years ahead of him. When he signed his last contract it he said:

"This effectively makes me a Saint for life, which I am thrilled about,”

That contract ends in about 25 games which was considered effectively the end of his career in his own opinion. Other inside mids who played on longer usually had to change roles to do it.

I see this as a very difficult trade to get done. There's a huge emotional attachment the fans have to Jack that won't be reflected in his trade value, so how do the cats get him in a way that's respectful? I don't see this being pretty.

Value? It'll have to be hidden behind so many pick swaps that it gives the media talking points like the Gary Ablett trade where everyone can objectively say that the cats gave up x pick for him without the context that enough went back that it was actually minimal in reality. Effective value around the cats current second I'd guess.

The sceptic in me wouldnt be surprised if some of this year has been about not being traded last year and getting to his preferred employer for not much this trade period.
While not getting home to family may be a factor in him not paying games I'd be hesitant to say it'd be a strategy. It seems as likely to turn a future employer off as anything

Jack definitely doesn't have 3-4 years ahead of him. When he signed his last contract it he said:

"This effectively makes me a Saint for life, which I am thrilled about,”

That contract ends in about 25 games which was considered effectively the end of his career in his own opinion. Other inside mids who played on longer usually had to change roles to do it.

I see this as a very difficult trade to get done. There's a huge emotional attachment the fans have to Jack that won't be reflected in his trade value, so how do the cats get him in a way that's respectful? I don't see this being pretty.

Value? It'll have to be hidden behind so many pick swaps that it gives the media talking points like the Gary Ablett trade where everyone can objectively say that the cats gave up x pick for him without the context that enough went back that it was actually minimal in reality. Effective value around the cats current second I'd guess.
You seem to have imagined the part where he said "I am going to retire after this contract."

Difference was Sydney were always happy to part ways with Hannebery to free up cap space. We took on his large salary. That deal doesn't look fantastic for us right now.

Dayne Beams is a much better comparison. Similar issues. Brisbane didn't want to lose him but let him go for a fair price.
The Beams trade would have been a good comparison a year ago at 28 years old and no questions over whether he decides to hang up the boots. Now it seems less valid

Don’t know why people keep banging on about the Beams / Gibbs trades as equivalent comparisons.

Surely the fact Collingwood and Adelaide have been burnt by these trades make it less likely for something similar to be offered for Steven - not more so.

Hate the phrase but the optics don't look that great for Geelong here. Team with a stacked midfield reported to be attempting to lure contracted star player with personal troubles from struggling team. Not that that's necessarily the truth, but it could be pretty easily framed that way if the media didn't seem to be pretty Geelong friendly.

If Jack does want to go though, I hope that we don't stand in his way. Been a real servant and being close to family might be what he needs.

Geelong gave us 21 for STANLEY ffs. Equivalent to a top 5 pick for Steven :D

Also, Geelong are chasing him for the SECOND year in a row. Must really want him, which inflates his price somewhat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just hope he gets right, stays and returns to his best. At his best he is a match winner which we lack. He is worth far more to us than what any trade will deliver. Even so anything less than a second is laughable. If he does move, hope he returns next week and finishes the season to his potential. That will change the trade landscape considerably

Hate the phrase but the optics don't look that great for Geelong here. Team with a stacked midfield reported to be attempting to lure contracted star player with personal troubles from struggling team. Not that that's necessarily the truth, but it could be pretty easily framed that way if the media didn't seem to be pretty Geelong friendly.

If Jack does want to go though, I hope that we don't stand in his way. Been a real servant and being close to family might be what he needs.

To me Steven is worth what Hannebery was. Late R2.

Geelong gave us 21 for STANLEY ffs. Equivalent to a top 5 pick for Steven :D

Also, Geelong are chasing him for the SECOND year in a row. Must really want him, which inflates his price somewhat.

Steven is 30 has been out for the year and has no other clubs chasing him. He's not worth what you think.

Agree the optics don't look outstanding but I think the cats would have paid a much higher value last year when they were told he's not up for trade. Now his playing future is in doubt he's suddenly on the table? Optics look bad for all involved not just the cats

Its hard to say what optics are good or bad these days .. I agree the media can paint it anyway they want to ..but they are hardly what id say consistent. I doubt very much we get anything positive said by CWilson for eg. Id say the optics could look a little worse if we were for example going after a Gold Coast or GWS mid or a FA like Lynch but those things have been done by other clubs recently ..mostly have not been slammed for the move ..and clubs have been praised rather than villfied for attacking bottom sides. The off fied issues probably mean the media will tread carefully anyway.

And while we maybe a pretty good midfield atm , id say like a lot of geelong supporters , id much prefer to see us drafting some kids as I and other feel that the clock is ticking on some of the older players. Adding a 30 year old is not really a refresh move. If I were going to trade a R1 pick for eg. id rather talk a younger player , say a 21 , 22 year old... not that we the supporters have a choice.

Its unfortunate that he is not FA this year.. i think that would have been close to the ideal outcome for all. The AFL would probably have found a way to get a R1 comp for Stk ..while Geelong would take on a mature player with a certain amount of risk..while not costing them the chance to get a younger player on the list.

Lol chill out, you don’t actually think I think he’s worth a top 5 pick, do you?

2nd round pick would suffice I think depending on how low Geelongs 2nd is

No i dont think anyone does (on the first bit).

On the second yeah a pick in the 30s or thereabouts is about what i would consider fair for both parties.

Agree the optics don't look outstanding but I think the cats would have paid a much higher value last year when they were told he's not up for trade. Now his playing future is in doubt he's suddenly on the table? Optics look bad for all involved not just the cats

Not sure where St Kilda has said he is on the table.

Not sure where St Kilda has said he is on the table.

Havent said he is but the question is would St Kilda hold him for less than a R1 as i cant see anyone trading a R1 for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jack Steven [traded to Geelong for #58]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back