Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick] - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

A few shaky assumptions underpinning your final premise here.

Firstly, that every pick from round 2 onward will be a good or fair player....Only 50% of kids make it from those ranges upwards, for a start.....Even fewer get to 100 games.

Clearly our club doesn't put as much stock or emphasis in those pick-values as you - the arm-chair expert - does....It will take 2-3 years for most of them to be AFL ready & have any significant impact.....Whereas, the 4 boys we picked up, are already established & mature-bodied AFL regulars.

We made a commitment to getting all of O'Meara, Mitchell & Vickery, as our number 1 trade strategy for 2017....If that meant utilizing all our draft picks for 2017 in order to facilitate that strategic priority, then so be it....Mission Accomplished....Without having traded any of our kids out, in order to do so.

And - might I add - Much to the chagrin to the rest of the comp & the Hun especially.;)

Oh....And we added 2 speculative kids via the draft, who have as much chance of making it, as most of the other boys taken beyond pick 20.:thumbsu:
Seems to be a fair bit of denial in this post. Your club gave up it's first four picks in what was regarded as one of the strongest and deepest drafts for many years. There were still some very very good players being taken well beyond 20. Heck there were still some great players being taken beyond 40. Beyond 70 though? You're dreaming if you think that those boys have the same chance of making it as the guys being taken at 25 or 30.

Seems to be a fair bit of denial in this post. Your club gave up it's first four picks in what was regarded as one of the strongest and deepest drafts for many years. There were still some very very good players being taken well beyond 20. Heck there were still some great players being taken beyond 40. Beyond 70 though? You're dreaming if you think that those boys have the same chance of making it as the guys being taken at 25 or 30.

Oh really?

So none of these boys have kicked an AFL ball in anger, or played a single AFL game, & we missed-out on 'some great players' hey?:drunk:

I'm reasonably content with messers Mitchell, O'Meara & Vickery....Thanks all the same.:rolleyes:

Is it right that the Hawks gave up 5 picks for Omera?

1st round, 2nd round, 2nd round, 3rd round and a 4th round?

If so, how can any one player be worth 5 reasonable kids?
Fair chance none of them turn into good players.

Before and during trade week, according to Bigfooty and the media, O'Meara was worth Breust and two early picks. Hawthorn simply could not offer enough to get the trade done and he wouldn't get through to Hawthorn in the draft because Essendon would take him pick 1 and every other club would take him before he got to Hawthorn because he is on another level to anyone taken in this year's draft (which is probably true if fit).

Now that he has been taken by Hawthorn, however, we paid overs despite not parting with any of the star players everyone said that we would have to move on and only trading speculative draft picks. Got to love Big Footy!

Is it right that the Hawks gave up 5 picks for Omera?

1st round, 2nd round, 2nd round, 3rd round and a 4th round?

If so, how can any one player be worth 5 reasonable kids?

On average there are just 6 players in each draft that will at some point become All Australians in their career. Almost half those are taken in the top 5.

5 reasonable kids usually ends up as a couple of decent players if you're lucky. Decent players aren't hard to recruit.

Before and during trade week, according to Bigfooty and the media, O'Meara was worth Breust and two early picks. Hawthorn simply could not offer enough to get the trade done and he wouldn't get through to Hawthorn in the draft because Essendon would take him pick 1 and every other club would take him before he got to Hawthorn because he is on another level to anyone taken in this year's draft (which is probably true if fit).

Now that he has been taken by Hawthorn, however, we paid overs despite not parting with any of the star players everyone said that we would have to move on and only trading speculative draft picks. Got to love Big Footy!
End Thread/

Oh really?

So none of these boys have kicked an AFL ball in anger, or played a single AFL game, & we missed-out on 'some great players' hey?:drunk:

I'm reasonably content with messers Mitchell, O'Meara & Vickery....Thanks all the same.:rolleyes:
You can only judge these kids by their junior careers, regardless of their draft position. This was an exceptionally good draft any way you look at it, and saying that a kid taken at 70+ has the same chance as a kid taken after 20 is ridiculous given the strength of this years top 30-40.

And stop using Vickery in your arguments. You gave nothing up for him. You could have had your second and third round picks this year, and your first pick next year in addition to your first (and second? I can't keep up) next year whilst obtaining Mitchell and Vickery. The point of contention is the cost of O'Meara. Whether or not he was worth the excessive cost will become pretty clear in the next 6-12 months.

I'm pretty on the fence in regards to the trade myself. If he turns in to the player we all thought he'd be 2 years ago then it will have been worth it. But it's a massive if. Not a trade that I'd have been comfortable with my club doing personally.

I'm pretty on the fence in regards to the trade myself. If he turns in to the player we all thought he'd be 2 years ago then it will have been worth it. But it's a massive if. Not a trade that I'd have been comfortable with my club doing personally.
The Hawks could afford to take the risk, that's what happens when you win a shit load of Premierships.

The Hawks could afford to take the risk, that's what happens when you win a shit load of Premierships.
Could they? I'd have thought with their list profile that getting some quality youth in would be a priority. You've got some decent young kids, Burton in particular will be a jet, but with the older core players who took you to those 3 premierships getting older (and Mitchell and Lewis now gone) it's hard to see where the quality will be to keep you at the top long term. I understand that Mitchell and O'Meara are both young which makes up for it a bit, but to give up as much as the Hawks did to bring them both in you'd want them both to be guaranteed guns, not just one of them.

Anyway, if nothing else it should be interesting to see how the Hawks perform next year with a re-jigged engine room.

Could they? I'd have thought with their list profile that getting some quality youth in would be a priority. You've got some decent young kids, Burton in particular will be a jet, but with the older core players who took you to those 3 premierships getting older (and Mitchell and Lewis now gone) it's hard to see where the quality will be to keep you at the top long term. I understand that Mitchell and O'Meara are both young which makes up for it a bit, but to give up as much as the Hawks did to bring them both in you'd want them both to be guaranteed guns, not just one of them.

Anyway, if nothing else it should be interesting to see how the Hawks perform next year with a re-jigged engine room.

Of course they could afford the risk ask any supporter of any team if they could win Back2Back2Back Premierships would they be willing to go through a rebuild.

Clarko and Wright have the runs on the board so most Hawks fans back their judgement.

Next year will be interesting and you never know maybe even Collingwood will get a win against us (Very rare event)

I happen to think if we get Roughie back and JOM gets to full fitness combined with Burton,Brand, and a few other youngsters stepping up we will actually be a better team in 2017, this is only an opinion though.

Of course they could afford the risk ask any supporter of any team if they could win Back2Back2Back Premierships would they be willing to go through a rebuild.

Clarko and Wright have the runs on the board so most Hawks fans back their judgement.

Next year will be interesting and you never know maybe even Collingwood will get a win against us (Very rare event)

I happen to think if we get Roughie back and JOM gets to full fitness combined with Burton,Brand, and a few other youngsters stepping up we will actually be a better team in 2017, this is only an opinion though.
Got to 1 point this year with a decimated 22 when your guys had a top 4 spot on the line, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if we beat you next time around. If we had a good coach I'd even wager that we could be a top 4 side :(

Got to 1 point this year with a decimated 22 when your guys had a top 4 spot on the line, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if we beat you next time around. If we had a good coach I'd even wager that we could be a top 4 side :(
Yes that was the closest to beating us since 2011, but it was still a loss.

I agree with you about your coach though and after Clarko lands our next Flag he may retire and try to sort you guys out. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could they? I'd have thought with their list profile that getting some quality youth in would be a priority.

Why does any club need youth? Clubs need players. At the end of this year when we have a few more retirements and a few players leave for other clubs we will look at FA, look at trades, and look for some list padding late picks.

In the last 10 years we have had hardly any top picks, yet we seem to do okay.

No one has a clue whether this draft was any good and we won't for some years. The recruiters can hope it was a good one and they seem to hope every year. 2013 was suggested to be pretty ordinary and the top end is actually smashing it 3 years on. The statement that "great players" were being taken at 40 is currently without foundation.

Having said which, I had a meeting with the Hawks today and even they acknowledge they have taken a significant risk in O'Meara and they hope it will pay off but simply can't be sure. As they stated though - if any club was in the position to take that risk on, after 3 flags in a row it is them. Good luck to them and O'Meara.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oh?....Then perhaps you'd like to trawl through the 500 or so pages, of part 1 of this thread....Full of Bombers posters declaring otherwise.

Not to mention a certain other thread on your own board, that mysteriously vanished, not long after he became a Hawk....LOL.

And we wont go into the LOL-Worthy exploits & headlines of Robbo, Landsberger, at the behesr of Dodoro in the Hun, at the time.

Like the current one in your avatar, you mean?

I still reckon there is a chance we could get him through the PSD

I still reckon there is a chance we could get him through the PSD

LOL....Now there's something you don't see everyday....A bombers poster with a sense of humor.

I'll make a quick trunk call, to the World wild-life organisation; & have you placed on the critically endangered list.

Oh really?

You really shouldn't be content with Vickery just yet
He will sorely test your patience

You really shouldn't be content with Vickery just yet
He will sorely test your patience

U would imagine playing in a Tigers forward line with the way the Tigers chip the ball around the half back, treacle slow ball movement must make the forwards job so much harder. Vickery will never be Carey but he can play a role for us in one of our 2 KP posts bringing ball down to the feet of Poppy Cyril Bruest Etc and clunking a few marks. 35 goals isn't to far fetched imo and a realistic output for young Ty. Ty been running running and more running since his move to the Hawks. His main weakness has identified and is getting worked on from day 1.

U would imagine playing in a Tigers forward line with the way the Tigers chip the ball around the half back, treacle slow ball movement must make the forwards job so much harder. Vickery will never be Carey but he can play a role for us in one of our 2 KP posts bringing ball down to the feet of Poppy Cyril Bruest Etc and clunking a few marks. 35 goals isn't to far fetched imo and a realistic output for young Ty. Ty been running running and more running since his move to the Hawks. His main weakness has identified and is getting worked on from day 1.

Absolutely we played that shot chipping style last year, however before that he was mostly still the same... When he is on you can see the type of player he can be, which is why we found it so frustrating with the lazy crap he dished up most of the time

Having said all that and as I have stated previously if anyone can get him to pull his finger out its Clarkson and the Hawks
Cause if he doesn't he will never leave Box Hill
Why Hardwick tolerated his shit for so long is mystifying to us... Maybe he had pics of him with a goat

You can only judge these kids by their junior careers, regardless of their draft position. This was an exceptionally good draft any way you look at it, and saying that a kid taken at 70+ has the same chance as a kid taken after 20 is ridiculous given the strength of this years top 30-40.

And stop using Vickery in your arguments. You gave nothing up for him. You could have had your second and third round picks this year, and your first pick next year in addition to your first (and second? I can't keep up) next year whilst obtaining Mitchell and Vickery. The point of contention is the cost of O'Meara. Whether or not he was worth the excessive cost will become pretty clear in the next 6-12 months.

Tambling was an exceptional Junior, just sayin..

Posted this is another thread - these are the players drafted at the picks we gave up

Tom Mitchell
Jaeger Omeara

Vs

Harry Perryman
Alex Witherden
Josh Williams
Lachlan Tiziani
Ryan Garthwaite

We also gave up next years first - I have assumed this will be offset by attaining a FA.

You also mentioned our age profile - why would we draft 5 kids when by the time they are ready in 3 years or so Frawley, Smith, Cyril, Puopolo, McAvoy, Birchall, Roughhead, Stratton will be past it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick] - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back