Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick] - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

ACL injuries are far more common in the AFL, right? My understanding is that tendons and ligaments are very similar in structure and mostly vary in purpose (tendons connecting bone to muscle; ligaments connecting bone to bone) so I would think the treatment and rehab would be similar. ACLs used to be a career killer but in the past decade have improved dramatically to the point where a lot of players can get back to their best footy within 2 years of doing an ACL.

But like I've said. This is all theory. The stats you present are concerning but I weigh that up against the other stuff I've mentioned about Hawthorn and O'Meara. And at the end of the day we'll just have to sit back and see what happens.
Yeah ACL's are more common in the AFL, but the two injuries are in a whole different ball park. Much different surgery, longer rehab, shorter average career span.

You're right that it's all theory at this point, but I have to say I'm glad it was your club that took the punt and not mine. It's a massive gamble at the end of the day, particularly for what Hawthorn gave up to get him there.

Yeah ACL's are more common in the AFL, but the two injuries are in a whole different ball park. Much different surgery, longer rehab, shorter average career span.

You're right that it's all theory at this point, but I have to say I'm glad it was your club that took the punt and not mine. It's a massive gamble at the end of the day, particularly for what Hawthorn gave up to get him there.
As they say "go big or go home". I'd rather the club took some risks for a chance at another flag than simply playing it safe and only ever making up the numbers. More interesting this way too!

That's because in the AFL a patella tendon injury is an unknown variable given its rareness. The best data you could find would be studies done in America on the injury which is much more common in the NFL, and the numbers aren't pretty. On average it ended up that Patella tendon injuries had the worst recovery times, issues with muscle degradation, worst results for player performance after returning from injury, and a career expectancy of roughly 4 years after sustaining the injury. O'Meara has already been out for 2.
I know you said that Hawthorn have done their due dilligence, but if the reports are true that he failed medicals at 2 other clubs, it seems like Hawthorn is taking a massive gamble rather than working on sound medical advice.

This is a confusing point of the deal for mine, there's a really well documented body of knowledge that suggests it's an injury that ruins careers (in the NFL).

It's such a rare injury in the AFL, there really isn't anything to tell us what will likely happen – the two games are very different in terms of the strain they place on the body, so the NFL experience doesn't necessarily equate to what might happen in the AFL.

But it doesn't look promising, unless the Hawks medicos know something that no-one else does at this point.

There's a really rigid, specific set of conditioning protocols for US football. It is possible I guess, that Australia does something different with rehab that might heal the injury sooner.

But it is kind of baffling that such a big deal was made of acquiring a player with this injury, my gut feeling is that the club must know some aspect of it that hasn't been reported or was an unknown quantity outside of a few club's medical teams.

Last edited:

what is positive is the article I read today about Chris Knights injury at Richmond identical injury and after two years he's knee was completely fine and is fine still today. he did retire early because of injury but nothing to do with the knee he's knee was completely fine it was more to do with constant soft tissue injuries he had been suffering for years prior to the injury and even after the injury forced him into retirement. And it was good to hear that Chris Knights has been working with O'Meara and giving him advice on the best possible way to get back to playing and giving him the confidence that he needs to know and that he's knee will be and is fine.

what is positive is the article I read today about Chris Knights injury at Richmond identical injury and after two years he's knee was completely fine and is fine still today. he did retire early because of injury but nothing to do with the knee he's knee was completely fine it was more to do with constant soft tissue injuries he had been suffering for years prior to the injury and even after the injury forced him into retirement. And it was good to hear that Chris Knights has been working with O'Meara and giving him advice on the best possible way to get back to playing and giving him the confidence that he needs to know and that he's knee will be and is fine.

Yeah....It often can take up to 2 years to get over a knee-injury proper....Whitecross & Burton are 2 recent examples of that....Buckenara was another.

Tendons and Ligaments are not quite the same, but fairly similar.

The big difference between an ACL and O'Meara's condition is that Jaeger has tendinopathy in his patella tendon. Basically, imagine a tendon to be a massive bunch of tiny little fibres neatly arranged in a parallel fashion. This arrangement provides the tendon with the greatest possible strength.
Now, whenever a muscle is worked enough, there will be micro tears within the muscle belly itself and its tendon. In normal conditions, your body will repair this just fine. But, in tendinopathy, the body takes longer to repair the damage and when it is repaired, the fibres are no longer perfectly arranged in that parallel structure; instead, it's a bit of a muddled mess.
Because the strength of the tendon is secondary to it's arrangement, this muddled restructuring means the tendon is weaker, thus more susceptible to damage. Therefore, if you needed 80% of normal effort to cause damage previously, this is not 70% (arbitrary numbers). The tendon will again repair itself in this muddled fashion, making it even weaker. Therefore 60% of effort will then cause damage, and so on and so on. It's a vicious cycle.

The only way to recovery from tendinopathy is a very length process of gradually improving the loading capabilities of the tendon, before working it up into an energy storage phase, followed by an energy storage and release phase. If you progress too quickly at any point or hurt the tendon in any other way, then the set back could be as short as a few days, all the way up to a few months.

This is why it's such a massive problem; it's not like you surgically repair a ligament, rehab, and off you go. It's an ongoing process with the possibility for continuous setbacks.

As for AFL specifics: there's two things that cause disrepair in a tendon - compression and overloading. The patellar tendon is both extremely superficial, and has thick rigid bone directly behind it without padding (apart from minimal fascia, bursae, and your skin / subcutaneous fat). For a midfielder that is constantly getting tackled and having their knees driven into the ground, this is BAD, BAD NEWS. Even if Hawthorn can do what Gold Coast couldn't, and get Jaeger back on the park, there is every chance that even a rudimentary tackle could (at the worst) rupture his tendon, or (at the very least) cause a resurgence of his tendinopathy, which would need considerable time off. If it's only mild, then a return within 4 weeks is possible, however pushing it to 6-8 weeks would be more ideal since, like I said, it's a vicious cycle and bringing him back even one week early can cause a several month set back, or even end his career.

The big difference between an ACL and O'Meara's condition is that Jaeger has tendinopathy in his patella tendon. Basically, imagine a tendon to be a massive bunch of tiny little fibres neatly arranged in a parallel fashion. This arrangement provides the tendon with the greatest possible strength.
Now, whenever a muscle is worked enough, there will be micro tears within the muscle belly itself and its tendon. In normal conditions, your body will repair this just fine. But, in tendinopathy, the body takes longer to repair the damage and when it is repaired, the fibres are no longer perfectly arranged in that parallel structure; instead, it's a bit of a muddled mess.
Because the strength of the tendon is secondary to it's arrangement, this muddled restructuring means the tendon is weaker, thus more susceptible to damage. Therefore, if you needed 80% of normal effort to cause damage previously, this is not 70% (arbitrary numbers). The tendon will again repair itself in this muddled fashion, making it even weaker. Therefore 60% of effort will then cause damage, and so on and so on. It's a vicious cycle.

The only way to recovery from tendinopathy is a very length process of gradually improving the loading capabilities of the tendon, before working it up into an energy storage phase, followed by an energy storage and release phase. If you progress too quickly at any point or hurt the tendon in any other way, then the set back could be as short as a few days, all the way up to a few months.

This is why it's such a massive problem; it's not like you surgically repair a ligament, rehab, and off you go. It's an ongoing process with the possibility for continuous setbacks.

As for AFL specifics: there's two things that cause disrepair in a tendon - compression and overloading. The patellar tendon is both extremely superficial, and has thick rigid bone directly behind it without padding (apart from minimal fascia, bursae, and your skin / subcutaneous fat). For a midfielder that is constantly getting tackled and having their knees driven into the ground, this is BAD, BAD NEWS. Even if Hawthorn can do what Gold Coast couldn't, and get Jaeger back on the park, there is every chance that even a rudimentary tackle could (at the worst) rupture his tendon, or (at the very least) cause a resurgence of his tendinopathy, which would need considerable time off. If it's only mild, then a return within 4 weeks is possible, however pushing it to 6-8 weeks would be more ideal since, like I said, it's a vicious cycle and bringing him back even one week early can cause a several month set back, or even end his career.
Sounds like we'll need to be extra careful as well as have quite a bit of luck. High risk, high reward.

Sounds like we'll need to be extra careful as well as have quite a bit of luck. High risk, high reward.
I imagine Hawthorn will be very, very cautious with O'Meara given that there would be huge reward and that they gambled their future on him. He may go through years where he'll put in a few games then miss just as many or more, but if he doesn't slip on form then he may still be worth the cost and the hassle. However, if Hawthorn get impatient then they may just break him to the point of being beyond repair.

Think of a more severe version of Cyril, in the sense that the reward is bigger since he will be a better player, but the risk is greater because a setback is longer (and a greater potential of being permanent)

I imagine Hawthorn will be very, very cautious with O'Meara given that there would be huge reward and that they gambled their future on him. He may go through years where he'll put in a few games then miss just as many or more, but if he doesn't slip on form then he may still be worth the cost and the hassle. However, if Hawthorn get impatient then they may just break him to the point of being beyond repair.

Think of a more severe version of Cyril, in the sense that the reward is bigger since he will be a better player, but the risk is greater because a setback is longer (and a greater potential of being permanent)
you sound very knowledgeable do you think he's young age will give him a better chance of recovery as long as we don't rush him back

Thank god we ruled out trading pick 5 for him many moons ago.
It is just too big a risk for clubs like ours.
Hawks with strong list already are in better position to take the risk.
In the end, I think Gold Coast got as good a deal as they could have expected in those circumstances.
So Hawks have taken on both Burton and him as guys that need a lot of looking after. Gets tricky when clubs take on quite a few guys with body issues to start with. North with Wells and Waite was always problematic.
Cats were running around with Menzel, McCarthy, Vardy and Mitch Clark for two years on the list together.
Thankfully two played elite football level again in 2016 although, alarmingly Menzel was missing in an important final just when Cats had already had two weeks off in three weeks.
Mitch Clark now de-listed and Vardy traded to West Coast, ironically as back up for their injured ruck stocks.

you sound very knowledgeable do you think he's young age will give him a better chance of recovery as long as we don't rush him back
Thanks for the compliment, however I am not yet qualified as a Physiotherapist (although, tendinopathy is somewhat of a specialty in the new generation of Australian Physios, since the latest and most important breakthroughs in the field are only very recent).

To address your question, youth will play some sort of role for two reasons. First of all, his recovery should theoretically be the best it will ever be whilst so young, but it must be said that this is all relative. In other words, although your best recovery should occur during your youth, the best recovery for one individual may only be as good as the worst recovery of another individual. It's all down to the variations in physiology from person to person. The second reason why his youth is helpful is simply because it provides more time. Tendinopathy recovery and treatment can never be rushed, otherwise you'll be caught up in an endless cycle of re-injury; because Jaeger is young, Hawthorn can afford the time required to treat him. But, again, it's all individual so this just means that he will be given the best chance to revere - whether that means he will recover to full health is entirely up in the air.

Thanks for the compliment, however I am not yet qualified as a Physiotherapist (although, tendinopathy is somewhat of a specialty in the new generation of Australian Physios, since the latest and most important breakthroughs in the field are only very recent).

To address your question, youth will play some sort of role for two reasons. First of all, his recovery should theoretically be the best it will ever be whilst so young, but it must be said that this is all relative. In other words, although your best recovery should occur during your youth, the best recovery for one individual may only be as good as the worst recovery of another individual. It's all down to the variations in physiology from person to person. The second reason why his youth is helpful is simply because it provides more time. Tendinopathy recovery and treatment can never be rushed, otherwise you'll be caught up in an endless cycle of re-injury; because Jaeger is young, Hawthorn can afford the time required to treat him. But, again, it's all individual so this just means that he will be given the best chance to revere - whether that means he will recover to full health is entirely up in the air.

Can you now cover Jarrod Pickett for Carlton ?
Would love to know your thoughts on his condition and time likely to be back to top football for himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stop it with the narrative we gambled our future on JOmeara. It's simply not true. We gambled a few draft picks on Jaeger. Specifically a future 1st Rounder (that pick doesn't even get called out for another 12 months at the draft table) Brad Hill and a few speck picks 35+

Stop it with the narrative we gambled our future on JOmeara. It's simply not true. We gambled a few draft picks on Jaeger. Specifically a future 1st Rounder (that pick doesn't even get called out for another 12 months at the draft table) Brad Hill and a few speck picks 35+

Would you rather 'HIgh Risk High Reward'?....yes that pick doesn't get called out for 12 months - is that not in the future, the future where you will NOT have a first round pick?

And you missed pick 23 that was also sent to the Saints

This is what fires up people - yep the Hawks deserve respect for their recent success but this absolute denial of the risk involved is just ridiculous.

You might not like 'the narrative' but it is reality and if you are anyone but a Hawks supporter in denial you would understand it

Last edited:
Would you rather 'HIgh Risk High Reward'?....yes that pick doesn't get called out for 12 months - is that not in the future, the future where you will NOT have a first round pick?

And you missed pick 23 that was also sent to the Saints

This is what fires up people - yep the Hawks deserve respect for their recent success but this absolute denial of the risk involved is just ridiculous.

You might not like 'the narrative' but it is reality and if you are anyone but a Hawks supporter in denial you would understand it

Child Please

I didn't miss Pick 23. That is Brad Hill. What I said.

If u think a future 1st, Brad Hill and a couple of picks 36 and later are mortgaging ur future 4 the prized signature of Jaeger. Then I'm sorry but ur wrong.

That isn't mortgaging ur future but paying a reasonable price for a potential generational talent.

I really do love the narrative though. Non Hawks supporters praying it doesn't work out.

He'll off had a full 2 years & 6 months to recover before he runs out in round 1.

And as Matthew Knights - who had the exact same injury noted - he never had an issue with his again thereafter.

We've heard all these 'worst-case-scenario', damning medical prognosis last year with Burton....People saying with great authority that he'll never recover or play again from his injuries, due to their gravity, nature & proximity.

Sweet story though bro....Such a shame the Saints missed out eh.:)

Child Please

I didn't miss Pick 23. That is Brad Hill. What I said.

If u think a future 1st, Brad Hill and a couple of picks 36 and later are mortgaging ur future 4 the prized signature of Jaeger. Then I'm sorry but ur wrong.

That isn't mortgaging ur future but paying a reasonable price for a potential generational talent.

I really do love the narrative though. Non Hawks supporters praying it doesn't work out.

Seriously "child please"??? Sums your posts up.

You need to get over your self - there are Hawks supporters who acknowledge the High Risk High Reward strategy; would put your posts in the denial / irrational category.

It is not a case of 'Non Hawks' supporters praying it doesn't work out it is discussing the trade - quote me where I have wished for the Hawks not making it work out. As a Saints supporter I am very happy with the pick swap, it is smart and I would categorise the Hawks position as risky that is not a huge statement to make.

As I keep stating I respect the Hawks; they have the runs on the board which gives posters like you bragging rights but it does not give you insight.

Seriously "child please"??? Sums your posts up.

You need to get over your self - there are Hawks supporters who acknowledge the High Risk High Reward strategy; would put your posts in the denial / irrational category.

It is not a case of 'Non Hawks' supporters praying it doesn't work out it is discussing the trade - quote me where I have wished for the Hawks not making it work out. As a Saints supporter I am very happy with the pick swap, it is smart and I would categorise the Hawks position as risky that is not a huge statement to make.

As I keep stating I respect the Hawks; they have the runs on the board which gives posters like you bragging rights but it does not give you insight.

Lets keep it simple here.

I was responding to the narrative that 'The Hawks gambled their future on Jagaer OMeara'. That is quite simply complete and utter crap.

Because I disagree with you. Take ur head out of ur arse for a second and maybe ur the one lacking insight here if u agree with the above statement

Lets keep it simple here.

I was responding to the narrative that 'The Hawks gambled their future on Jagaer OMeara'. That is quite simply complete and utter crap.

Because I disagree with you. Take ur head out of ur arse for a second and maybe ur the one lacking insight here if u agree with the above statement

Ok mate, no need to get fired up. Yep I disagree with you; will not indulge in the petty rubbish you are posting; I was just trying to discuss if the recruiting of O'Meara is high risk high reward but you just want to continue to post insults to other people posting. You are proving the point other posters are making.

Good luck with O'Meara

I'm off enjoy your day

Love people who are educated and share their knowledge.

I'm not sure if it has already been covered, but what was the justification for the Carlton 2nd rounder trade, and amy scuttlebutt on the potential payoff? Even if Carlton win the flag surely the points don't line up?

I'm not sure if it has already been covered, but what was the justification for the Carlton 2nd rounder trade, and amy scuttlebutt on the potential payoff? Even if Carlton win the flag surely the points don't line up?

We gave up one future round pick of next year that was tied to GWS finishing position. Think about that.
Given most of us would actually expect GWS winning premiership or close in 2017 that means, the pick in 2017 we could have held onto would have likely been about pick 40.
Why you may ask?
Well round one normally finishes at pick 18. Add a few free agency compo picks in, during, or at back, of round one, and likely round two picks do not even start until about pick 23. So last two picks in round two of 2017 draft I expect to be about pick 40 and 41. What I would expect would be the 2nd rounder we traded to Hawks that tied to GWS finishing spot.

What did Hawthorn trade to us for giving up that single pick next year ?

Pick 48, 66 and 70 this next month.

Seems very fair deal for mine even as a Carlton fan.

If we had not done that deal our coming draft picks would be 5,25, 63 , 81 and 99.
Quite a gap there in 3rd and 4th round of drafts waiting for next pick.
Now we have picks
5, 25, 48, 63, 66, 70, 81 and 99.

More draftees into club we can start developing and looking at under Bolton sooner in a list we are having massive turnover in over last 18 months. Getting more new players in now is more important for us than holding onto a single pick 40ish a year later.

Last edited:
We gave up one future round pick of next year that was tied to GWS finishing position. Think about that.
Given most of us would actually expect GWS winning premiership or close in 2017 that means, the pick in 2017 we could have held onto would have likely been about pick 40.
Why you may ask?
Well round one normally finishes at pick 18. Add a few free agency compo picks in, during, or at back, of round one, and likely round two picks do not even start until about pick 23. So last two picks in round two of round 17 draft I expect to be about pick 40 and 41. What I would expect would be the 2nd rounder we traded to Hawks that tied to GWS finishing spot.

What did Hawthorn trade to us for giving up that single pick next year ?

Pick 48, 66 and 70 this next month.

Seems very fair deal for mine even as a Carlton fan.

If we had not done that deal our coming draft picks would be 5,25, 63 , 81 and 99.
Quite a gap there in 3rd and 4th round of drafts waiting for next pick.
Now we have picks
5, 25, 48, 63, 66, 70, 81 and 99.

More draftees into club we can start developing and looking at under Bolton sooner in a list we are having massive turnover in over last 18 months. Getting more new players in now is more important for us than holding onto a single pick 40ish a year later.

That's a great smart intelligent post. But it's the polar opposite to stupid agendas being pushed by dumb salty journalists who say Carlton bent over to help the Hawks. Somehow u wonder how Muppets like Robbo actually are employed in the footy industry.

I think its as simple as Carlton saw plenty of opportunities to get kids this draft and preferred that to a single pick next draft.

Could be they are one of many clubs who are more keen on all the Free Agents next year rather than the draft. There are a lot of big names coming up.

Fyfe
Dusty
Kennedy (Swans)
Breust

Would be the big 4.

If any havent re-signed by mid year assume they are gone.

Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick] - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back