Jake King..

Remove this Banner Ad

Just read his profile and see he was B&F last year at Coburg...we talk about proving yourself down there at Coburg before getting a look in. Seems he has done that? Give him a go...certainly if Hyde doesn't rack up some serious 'effective' possies this week, he will be in with a big chance next week.

And again, as I said before, last year Hyde did well in both the Carlton games, unfortunate in the way he got into the side, but he may well be good for a few goals at the end of the day as he seems to want to play against the baggers.

id say give connors a go before him connors looks vintage.

Do coburg play today and if so is connors in the ressies?

id like to see how he goes.Bit hard when im in Mt Gambier tho lol

Spot on Rough_Edges. :thumbsu:

He's not a star. He's a goer who's having a good run in a poor team. Lets review this in two or three years. His name will be up in lights with other Richmond "stars" like Justin Charles, Steven Jurica, Tim Fleming and Patrick Bowden to name just a few.

He's not a star. He's a goer who's having a good run in a poor team. Lets review this in two or three years. His name will be up in lights with other Richmond "stars" like Justin Charles, Steven Jurica, Tim Fleming and Patrick Bowden to name just a few.

Ok not a star yet but I think your a bit too far the other way.

Harsh, I never saw Bowden, Jurica or Charles take on the game like King does.

Fleming did, but I think King possession is better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok not a star yet but I think your a bit too far the other way.

Harsh, I never saw Bowden, Jurica or Charles take on the game like King does.

Fleming did, but I think King possession is better.

Do you think he'll be playing the next time we play finals? I don't. He's been very handy, not dominant.

- Jurica won several games off his own boot in 1995.
- Bowden had some incredible games last year. One of the best individual games I've ever seen against Brisbane at the Dome.
- Charles was the dominant ruckman in the comp for one year

Do you think he'll be playing the next time we play finals? I don't. He's been very handy, not dominant.

- Jurica won several games off his own boot in 1995.
- Bowden had some incredible games last year. One of the best individual games I've ever seen against Brisbane at the Dome.
- Charles was the dominant ruckman in the comp for one year

Here's where your argument falls in a heap (Jurica/Bowden/Charles).

No of these guys ever had the courage or drive this little bloke has.

Successful teams build winning sides utilizing little blokes with ticker.

(If you think Jurica could play, you have nfi. And if Bowden's game V Brissy was one of the best individual games you've ever seen......hmmmm......then it shows you haven't seen much footy)

It was only one season ago when we were desperate to find a back pocket capable of running with the fast FP goal sneaks. I think we found him and Jake has allowed Raines to move up the field to the flank. So long as he stays in this role Im more than happy to have him in the best 22.

Here's where your argument falls in a heap (Jurica/Bowden/Charles).

No of these guys ever had the courage or drive this little bloke has.

Successful teams build winning sides utilizing little blokes with ticker.

(If you think Jurica could play, you have nfi. And if Bowden's game V Brissy was one of the best individual games you've ever seen......hmmmm......then it shows you haven't seen much footy)

Ticker doesn't win games or Tim Fleming would've been the best player ever. I never said I thought Jurica or Pat Bowden could play . What I said was that those players had an outstanding season, one season. As I said, we'll review in two years how good King is, and I think he'll be lucky to be on our list.

Don't see any King-types on West Coast's list. Their back pockets, Brett Jones and Beau Waters for example would be on-ballers in most teams.

little fella is a goer but in all seriousness name me 5 other AFL teams he would be in the starting 22 and name the players he would put out of those teams....

Ticker doesn't win games or Tim Fleming would've been the best player ever. I never said I thought Jurica or Pat Bowden could play . What I said was that those players had an outstanding season, one season. As I said, we'll review in two years how good King is, and I think he'll be lucky to be on our list.

Don't see any King-types on West Coast's list. Their back pockets, Brett Jones and Beau Waters for example would be on-ballers in most teams.

No...Time Fleming ran to every contest, no matter where it was like a mad sheep-dog. He had more hustle and bustle but couldn't manage that with the skill of kicking at the same time.

Jake King is trying to do all the right team things.
Jake King is attempting to give it off to the first sensible option.
Tim Fleming couldn't do all the right things.
No footballing skill.

Flemmo was Brian Leys with no fear.
That's not ticker, that's lock you away in a straight-jacket stuff.
That's the type of teammate you should be sacred of.
The one who take outs an opponent AND any teammate in the local vicinity!!

Now, you're not going to tell me Jake King is anything like Tim Fleming or Brian Leys.....duh

:eek:

Jake King is trying to do all the right team things.
Jake King is attempting to give it off to the first sensible option.

- Jake King missed the target by foot under zero pressure three times in a row during the last quarter of the Dreamtime game.
- Jake King's three kicks were responsible for two turnovers in the last 1/4 of the Dreamtime game.
- Jake King's 2 turnovers were responsible for 1 goal and 1 point in the Dreamtime game.

Watch that quarter again.

I don't think there's an AFL player that's not trying or attempting to do the right things deliberate. I've now ended up riding this thing into the ground which wasn't my intention at the start of this thread. Jake King is having a real go and has done some good things. I hope he proves me wrong and spends another ten years on our list playing great footy. However, it won't happen. He's another in a long line of "quick fix/at the time" footballers who've filled the breach in dark times, and we've had plenty of them. Good on blokes for getting behind him.

FWIW, my positives from the game were things like:
- Tamblings goal kicking
- Cleve Hughes giving some more strong glimpses of the kind of hit-up forward he might be for us in a couple years
- Deledio's ability to influence a game
- Polak's dominant first half
- Foley's work against a couple of ripper opponents like Hasleby and Josh Carr

These things I believe to be evidence of possible sustained success.

Go Tiges!

Charles really was a star - could have been anything if it weren't for injury leading to his unfortunately timed 'disgrace'...while a professional party boy like Cousins is given all the sympathy in the world and a much delayed 2nd chance. To use a mechanical analogy, Charles stole a couple of parts to get his badly broken down 4WD going again...Cousins stole a Porsche from a showroom and drove it through Collins St with one hand on the wheel, his arse hanging out and a powder white nose...flipping the bird to all and sundry with 'Feel sorry for me - I'm Ben Cousins' written on his flourescent pink tank top.

I'm not excusing either, but there's always been bad double standards in our game and there probably always will - based on 'talent' and not justice.

As for King, he's a fair dinkum goer and we all love to see that. If he can overcome his kicking and build further on his fitness, he'll be useful. The sort of bloke who'll battle his arse off for Coburg and be a great example to others when played there, and always remain a useful 24-25 player when you need him at senior level. If his kicking, vision and decision making continue to improve, he may well cement a permanent spot. He was in the wilderness this time last year and it's a great football story to see him playing senior football - I really hope he continues to improve and surprise everyone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jake King..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back