Toast Jake Kolodjashnij- CONFIRMED SIGNED 2 YEARS

Remove this Banner Ad

well, it's obvious you don't rate young defenders. I'm probably not far off suggesting your all in favor of continuing to bring in mature age defenders such as what we have done with Rivers, Delaney and probably Henderson?
I'm the opposite, I think we need to really begin investing in these young defenders. Kolodjashnij should never have taken this long to play game no.1.
Hamling should not have taken four years to finally be given a chance to play game no.1 (on another teams list).

It was eerily similar with Jackson Thurlow who spent far too long in the VFL when the Senior team were clearly lacking youth and speed for so long.

Fingers crossed Jake stays on instead of leaving to the Gold Goast to play alongside his bro. Can't say I blame him if he does leave.

I see both sides of the argument here, so I'm a fence sitter on this one, but as an interesting aside, didn't Michael Tuck play something like 80 games in the VFL before cracking his first senior game?

I see both sides of the argument here, so I'm a fence sitter on this one, but as an interesting aside, didn't Michael Tuck play something like 80 games in the VFL before cracking his first senior game?
Dipper was similar iirc.

Edit: 99 reserves grade games and then 240 senior games.

From what others saw did Kolo do enough in his first senior game to give us any confidence he could be a senior player ?

2 kicks, 5 handballs, 7 disposals, 1 mark. All okay stats for a first-gamer in defence.
The stat that surprised me the most though was 4 tackles, I love that!
Played on Howe for most of the game, Howe didn't do much besides kick 2 goals so I was definitely pleased with Kolo's debut!
Really really hope he keeps his spot & can play at least 5 games in the seniors before season's end.
He reminds me of Bews except as a KPD. He first focuses on shutting down his opponent before worrying about the offensive side of his game.
Bews now in his 2nd year of seniors we have seen him get off his man more, run & attack more which is great to see!
I think it will be the same for Kolo. Very defensive-minded this year but next season expect to see him push off his man more & take more intercept marks & influence more contests :thumbsu:

From what others saw did Kolo do enough in his first senior game to give us any confidence he could be a senior player ?

Thats a tough question... I think you may see more once he feels settled , and knows his role , and other know him. He looked a little like the new kid at school... do I go up , do I stay down , do I run off to create , do hamper down on the forward.
What I saw was enough to persist with him , to be patient with his uncertainty , to live with some errors , to show confidence in him and play him a couple more times.

The could have done the same with Hamling inspite of his limitations. Considering the number of young defends we have (or dont have) , considering losing to Melb at home.. we must be a proactive and think more of long term.

"We were really pleased with Jake’s performance,” Scott said on the latest episode of Tweet The Coach, brought to you by Momentum Energy.
“We think it was a good enough performance to suggest that Jake will play a lot more AFL footy for us.

“Short-term we’ve still got the unfortunate problem for Jake in that there are some pretty good experienced players who are still going well.
“So we’re still thinking long-term with Jake. The short-term’s a bit more uncertain.”

As long as the uncertain short term doesn't cause long term problems Scotty.

Gotta get this kid signed up asap. Young key defenders are a rare commodity down at Geelong atm and there's way too much potential there to let GC or Brisbane pinch him, assuming the rumours are true they are after him. With Rivers most likely finishing up this year I think Jake knows he's set to play a lot of senior footy next year and his future at Geelong is looking pretty bright. Plus he's learning from the best with Scarlett as his mentor and playing along side Harry and Domsy.

Several of his errors today were purely speed of the game issues.
Completely to be expected for a 2 game player. What I liked was that the option he took were right, just not fast enough. The comes with experience.

I'll take Scarlos opinion above most others. He's made the call. Kid will be a gun. On what I've seen so far, the makings are all there.

Get him signed and if that means an extra year or a little bit more, then so be it.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Several of his errors today were purely speed of the game issues.
Completely to be expected for a 2 game player. What I liked was that the option he took were right, just not fast enough. The comes with experience.

I'll take Scarlos opinion above most others. He's made the call. Kid will be a gun. On what I've seen so far, the makings are all there.

Get him signed and if that means an extra year or a little bit more, then so be it.

Go Catters

I guess I missed the errors, I liked the side step, and the scramble back... I say this with all sincerity.. he could end up being a more important player than his brother.

We've got a good one here. There is no doubt about that. I'm so happy to hear that he is planning on re-signing with the Cats and perhaps one day his Bro will decide to come down to Geelong and play with us aswell.
Massive fan. Can we assume the talk of Henderson coming has gone cold helping him with his decision to sign? Even if Rivers retires there's still a lot of 2nd /3rd tall defender options down there. We need this lad playing ones as often as possible. (And bro is definitely welcome!)

Massive fan. Can we assume the talk of Henderson coming has gone cold helping him with his decision to sign? Even if Rivers retires there's still a lot of 2nd /3rd tall defender options down there. We need this lad playing ones as often as possible. (And bro is definitely welcome!)
Who knows. I hope not though.

That is massive to be able to keep him - and one who has only played 2 games - but it shows if you do the right things and take your time, build slowly the rewards will come……

This, when it gets done, will be very very good….

Go Catters

Kolo's interview on K-Rock this morning here:

http://www.krockfootball.com.au/round-16-sunday-july-19-melbourne-vs-brisbane-pre-match-interview/

"Looking to sign with Geelong, hopefully that will be done soon."

thejester

image.jpg

Against the popular flow of opinion pointing towards him reuniting with his brother. Wonderful news!

Perhaps he is relishing the opportunity to finally step out of his brother's shadow and make a name for himself without close comparison to his twin with everything he does?

I guess I missed the errors, I liked the side step, and the scramble back... I say this with all sincerity.. he could end up being a more important player than his brother.

I thought he got caught with it once to twice and then a 2 of his disposals looped a bit and got picked off.

Again, im marking very harshly but it just reminded me of Cocky, Smedts type things that are speed of game related. Mots is another example.
Nothing that he wont fix with more game time… Its just awareness. Nothing that should see him dropped by any means - rather more of an impetus to keep him selected…

Go Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Jake Kolodjashnij- CONFIRMED SIGNED 2 YEARS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back