• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man Utd, Perth Glory.
On the back of the wonderful season Jeremy McGovern has had during this difficult 2024 & the fact he is in All-Australian contention again (hopefully he can return from injury toward the end of the season) he could possibly have 5 All-Australian jerseys.

Glen Jakovich was without doubt one of the greatest Centre Half Backs to play the game & is admired by everyone but unluckily only earned two A-A jerseys in 1994 & 95.

Got me thinking has Gov earned the right to be named our greatest CHB?

What do you think?

Jakovich played in an era we will never see again and locked down on some of the greatest forwards you will ever see in a small period of time.

The game was a tough hard as nails game at the time and most players now wouldn't survive it with their man buns and pretending to hit their head on the turf to get a free. The free kick forwards get now would afford the likes of Carey and dunstall and Ablett another 30 percent of goals on the existing tally's.

One on one he took down the like of Wayne Carey at his absolute peak and Stuart loewe etc.

McGovern has his strengths which is mainly intercept marking and is a great player but one on one they would have destroyed him imo.

I mean, I’ve never really considered Gov a CHB in the Jakovich mold - but I’ll say this.

Jakovich’s best footy was probably the best footy anyone has played for the club - 1993 to doing his knee in mid 96.

He never returned to those levels - not close really, which was a real shame, the ACL followed by a broken ankle robbed him of his explosiveness and he was just not the same player.

He only got 2 AAs but was robbed of his first in 1993 and was well on schedule for another on 1996 - so I think we can probably say his ‘peak’ was across 4 seasons - very similar to McGovern from 2016-2019. Jako jagged an extra B&F in 2000 but this was a bit of a surprise and reward for a consistent season, as opposed to a particularly outstanding one.

His 2001 was not the best - aged just 28 at that stage, unbelievably, and by 30 he was very much winding down.

Gov was outstanding at his peak - that intercept role that he absolutely perfected is a thing of beauty and he’s managed to turn back the clock this season which has been very impressive, given the circumstances.

That said, he also spent a decent amount of years with a reduced output across 2020-2023, for the most part due to injuries. He was a late bloomer but made an immediate impact when he came into the team.

In terms of their overall careers, it’s very close but I think that Jakovich’s best footy was better - especially as a traditional CHB.

So Jakovich gets my vote.

I didnt watch much of Jako as he was before my time, but Gov could easily have had 8 AAs if not for injury.

He's come back after all that time off injured and it's like he hadn't missed a beat so I think its fair to assume at least somewhat similar form for the last 4 interrupted years

Anyone with 6+ AAs surely has to be in the conversation for greatest of all tine, a generational defender at the least.

Hard to compare them both directly though as they didn't play the same role. Not all CHBs play the same

Teams would actually change the way they played because of Jako, forwards would try to take him away from the play. Except Carey.

Teams do that for Gov too (or at least they did when we were good)

Having seen them both, Im going Jako but its close. The no arm chopping would make things alot harder for that eras defenders

Teams do that for Gov too (or at least they did when we were good)

Having seen them both, Im going Jako but its close. The no arm chopping would make things alot harder for that eras defenders
You're not wrong. Been watching some 80s/90s footy on Kayo, and the defenders mostly just swing wildly across the forwards head, arms, body....basically everything but the ball haha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say Jakovich is arguably our greatest player ever - or at least KPP. He was also 2 very different players; early on he was an awesome rebounder - tall, fast and would take the game on. In his latter years and post knee surgery he became a predominantly lock down CHB. Still think he was robbed when not named CHB in the AFL team of the century back in the 90s. Huge surprise Vic campaigners.

McGovern on the other hand is a truly unique player in that opposition teams would have to plan around him - which was totally unheard of for a KPD. He's probably up there as one of the best marks the game has seen, and I would say his reading of the play is better than any others to play the game.

Tough call, both awesome for their own reasons.

Both Greats of the club.

I remember Jako before his knee was absolutely unbelievable. Gov has been great, sans cushy contract.

But yeah, Jako was unbelievable in his prime (as was Gov)

Glad I could clear things up.

I mean, I’ve never really considered Gov a CHB in the Jakovich mold - but I’ll say this.

Jakovich’s best footy was probably the best footy anyone has played for the club - 1993 to doing his knee in mid 96.

He never returned to those levels - not close really, which was a real shame, the ACL followed by a broken ankle robbed him of his explosiveness and he was just not the same player.

He only got 2 AAs but was robbed of his first in 1993 and was well on schedule for another on 1996 - so I think we can probably say his ‘peak’ was across 4 seasons - very similar to McGovern from 2016-2019. Jako jagged an extra B&F in 2000 but this was a bit of a surprise and reward for a consistent season, as opposed to a particularly outstanding one.

His 2001 was not the best - aged just 28 at that stage, unbelievably, and by 30 he was very much winding down.

Gov was outstanding at his peak - that intercept role that he absolutely perfected is a thing of beauty and he’s managed to turn back the clock this season which has been very impressive, given the circumstances.

That said, he also spent a decent amount of years with a reduced output across 2020-2023, for the most part due to injuries. He was a late bloomer but made an immediate impact when he came into the team.

In terms of their overall careers, it’s very close but I think that Jakovich’s best footy was better - especially as a traditional CHB.

So Jakovich gets my vote.
Gov was a late boomer and bar his first season and years ruined by injuries he’s either been AA or made the 40 man squad. Was on track to do the same this year too till the latests set back. Honestly even in the years impacted by injuries he was playing at a decent level.

Could easily been 5-6 time AA by now had it not been for his injuries

Gov doesn't butcher the English language like Jacko.
Can't believe anyone would employee him for special comments on radio.
Ahhh just got why they call it special!!

Gov was a late boomer and bar his first season and years ruined by injuries he’s either been AA or made the 40 man squad. Was on track to do the same this year too till the latests set back. Honestly even in the years impacted by injuries he was playing at a decent level.

Could easily been 5-6 time AA by now had it not been for his injuries

Yeah but he didn’t do that and there were plenty of folk potting his for being a big waste of money for a while there (not me personally, I love the guy!) - but it’s like saying what if Jako hadn’t done his knee at age 23, when he was one of the top 2-3 players in the whole comp - who knows how many AAs he collects?

Very few players have played seasons of footy for the Eagles to the level of Jakovich did for that run from 1993 to 1995 (and pre-knee 96). I’d say Cousins 2001-2005, and Judd 2004-first half of 2007 are the only ones really comparable.

To me, that gives him the edge over Gov.

Both however are in our all-time backline, alongside Darren Glass, Shannon Hurn, Guy McKenna and John Worsfold.

Tough call, when Jako returned from his injury in 1997 he lost a yard of pace sadly but he became an elite lock down defender as opposed to a running CHB like he was in his earlier years.

No one has worked harder than Gov on his game, elite mind, Mark & kick.

Tough call, I think Gov takes the points but both are elite.

Malthouse had Jako as his favourite player at his time at West Coast. im sure Simpson would have the same sentiment towards McGovern.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

GIF by Academy of Country Music Awards

I didnt watch much of Jako as he was before my time, but Gov could easily have had 8 AAs if not for injury.

He's come back after all that time off injured and it's like he hadn't missed a beat so I think its fair to assume at least somewhat similar form for the last 4 interrupted years

Anyone with 6+ AAs surely has to be in the conversation for greatest of all tine, a generational defender at the least.

Hard to compare them both directly though as they didn't play the same role. Not all CHBs play the same
Yeah this is such an easy answer. Didn’t watch jakovich either but can’t argue with the accolades.

Yeah but he didn’t do that and there were plenty of folk potting his for being a big waste of money for a while there (not me personally, I love the guy!) - but it’s like saying what if Jako hadn’t done his knee at age 23, when he was one of the top 2-3 players in the whole comp - who knows how many AAs he collects?

Very few players have played seasons of footy for the Eagles to the level of Jakovich did for that run from 1993 to 1995 (and pre-knee 96). I’d say Cousins 2001-2005, and Judd 2004-first half of 2007 are the only ones really comparable.

To me, that gives him the edge over Gov.

Both however are in our all-time backline, alongside Darren Glass, Shannon Hurn, Guy McKenna and John Worsfold.
I think Jako nudges him but his longevity would also help a lot. Don’t think Govs going to get close to the 270 games that jacko played

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Jakovich v McGovern

Back