Opinion Jakovich v McGovern

Who is our greatest Centre Half Back?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Somehow the last few years have diminished McGovern's reputation. Ever key defender these days is a wanna-be McGovern.

Pretty much. Look at some of the players getting massive contracts these days to play the ''McGovern role''.
Ben McKay is on close to a million bucks this season just because he can intercept mark, despite not being able to handball a football.

Hell, just having the last name McGovern has given his brother a way bigger profile than his actual ability demands.

Somehow the last few years have diminished McGovern's reputation. Ever key defender these days is a wanna-be McGovern.

It's kind of similar to Bluey McKenna.

The bloke completely rewrites the way half back flankers are thought of and used. He's literally the blueprint for the position as it is played today.

Yet the guy never gets talked about.

This is a wonderful thread. Good head scratcher here, OP.

I'm taking Jakovich. McGovern is a phenomenal player to watch, and to see him find close to peak form again this year is a huge part of the reason we're showing some improvement.

However, that 20 years after the fact we're still talking about the man, the myth and the legend of Glen Jakovich tells you something. He was the dominant force in a very Vic-centric era, and yet he cops universal acclaim.
Admittedly as Phil said, he had some very high level support. McGovern hasn't always with our injuries being what they have been.

As we probably only have two games left of it, the McGovern/Barrass twin towers has been an honour to have, even in the circumstances.

I’ll still talk about Jackson Nelson in +20 years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Replace glass with macintosh I reckon

For me Glass JUST shades Macintosh purely for his ability to take smalls where required.

Both amazing stoppers however and I don't think you could go wrong with either.

I'm now Gov over Jako but if I named an all time eagles 22, I'd still probably have Jako CHB with Gov in the pocket as hes the most versatile (much like Matera said).

And definitely Glass over McIntosh for me. Lead us through a dark period, was an absolute general and won AAs despite in an era dominated by Scarlett. His final one as captain is one of my favourite ever seasons.

Glass slightly over McIntosh in my book. I think if McIntosh didn't sustain the injuries to his knees during his peak period he would have been as lauded as Jakovich was, he was a fantastic runner and a great kick but he had to basically cut out the running off half back out of his game and focus purely on man marking, which he was excellent at but he could have been much much more.

I'm thinking, hoping really, the past 2-3 injury interrupted years that cut down the amount of games he played may actually extend his career.
Luckily most of his injuries were more collision resulted injuries over his body breaking down. Hasn't had many concussions that I can think of nor knee or hamstring related injuries. Just keeps getting broken ribs and busted internal with the occasional shoulder.
If he can get an extra year and go 2-3 more years he will probably get another AA or two which would be phenomenal.

I have him just ahead of Jakovich and if he does last another 2-3 years he will be an all time great.

Gov wins you games. Other KPB such as Jacko and more recently Andrews are outstanding at nullifying a quality key forwards, better than Gov in thar regard, but they only contribute to winning games.
Gov is an actual game winner. Exhibit A 2018GF.
I love Jacko, played most my footy in the 27 because of him but give me Gov.

Just to throw a spanner in the works here. If McIntosh hadn't done his knee he was a better player than either of them. Jako's knee hurt his game, McIntosh's knee ruined his career.

Brilliant defensively, fastest player on the list and was very good with ball in hand before the knee recon as well. (also had a degenerative issue in his other knee the poor bastard)

And IIRC Milli also was best weight lifter at WCE at the time. Needed all the strength and speed to combat the full forwards of his era. The full forwards were all possessed with different skill sets and challenges.

I reckon a few full backs didn’t sleep well in those days.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gov wins you games. Other KPB such as Jacko and more recently Andrews are outstanding at nullifying a quality key forwards, better than Gov in thar regard, but they only contribute to winning games.
Gov is an actual game winner. Exhibit A 2018GF.
I love Jacko, played most my footy in the 27 because of him but give me Gov.

I'm sure this makes sense in your head. Are you saying Gov is more effective at transitioning defense into scoring?

If so, I think that is underselling Jakovich or at least only recollecting late career Jako after he was slowed right down by his knee. My memories of Jako are dominated by his bursting runs off the half back line. Most definitely turning defence into dangerous forward thrusts through our most dominant, flag winning part of Jako's career.

One could argue that the time lost to the knee injury and then injury induced decline in Jakovich's offensive output was a key part of our inability to return to the well. The bloke was cut down in his prime - just turned 23 coming off three consecutive B&F and 2 consecutive All Australian nods. Jako has 4 times as many Brownlow votes as Gov - admittedly Gov is labouring in an era where only midfielders count - but it tells you that Jakovich was often seen to be a matchwinner by polling so well.

Gov is starting to cover Jakovich in terms of length of peak, which is obviosuly a big plus for Gov given he hasn't exactly had a free ride on the injury front himself, but height of peak is very debatable. I'm erring on the side of Jako for this.

I wonder what Jakovich's late career would have been like if he had access to the current surgical and rehabilitation practices.

Either way blessed as a club to be able to have these debates over such amazing players!

I'm sure this makes sense in your head. Are you saying Gov is more effective at transitioning defense into scoring?

If so, I think that is underselling Jakovich or at least only recollecting late career Jako after he was slowed right down by his knee. My memories of Jako are dominated by his bursting runs off the half back line. Most definitely turning defence into dangerous forward thrusts through our most dominant, flag winning part of Jako's career.

One could argue that the time lost to the knee injury and then injury induced decline in Jakovich's offensive output was a key part of our inability to return to the well. The bloke was cut down in his prime - just turned 23 coming off three consecutive B&F and 2 consecutive All Australian nods. Jako has 4 times as many Brownlow votes as Gov - admittedly Gov is labouring in an era where only midfielders count - but it tells you that Jakovich was often seen to be a matchwinner by polling so well.

Gov is starting to cover Jakovich in terms of length of peak, which is obviosuly a big plus for Gov given he hasn't exactly had a free ride on the injury front himself, but height of peak is very debatable. I'm erring on the side of Jako for this.

I wonder what Jakovich's late career would have been like if he had access to the current surgical and rehabilitation practices.

Either way blessed as a club to be able to have these debates over such amazing players!

Agree with everything you said. Just have to rewatch the 94 GF. Jako was was a fast and lean super rebounder.

Despite our relatively short history we have been blessed in some areas.

Key Defenders: Jako, McIntosh, Brennan, Glass, McKenzie, McGovern. Tommy Barrass
General Defenders: Woosha, Hart, McKenna, Wirra, Hurn, Shep, Waters
Rucks: Gardiner, Cox, Nic Nat
Midfielders: Far too many too name
General Forwards: heady. Lewis, Phil Matera, LeCras, Ryan, Jamie Cripps
Our weakest area in terms of total number of players would be key forwards, yet they were top line: Suma, JK, Darling (Cummings and Lynch for a brief moment) (Allen maybe in time)

It's probably a reason we've won four flags in less than 40 years with a 3 distinct teams. Would think our second and third best all time teams of this period would do over most other teams versions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Jakovich v McGovern

Back