Moved Thread Jamarra Ugle-Hagan will end up more valuable than Nick Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Conception

Debutant
Jun 10, 2023
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There is no doubt Nick Daicos has hit his strides earlier on in his career, but for me, Ugle-Hagan will end up the better, more valuable player.

Ugle-Hagan has already shown more than enough to prove he is clearly the best young key-forward in the competition, and rather than just being a mark-kick type forward (King/McKay/Wright) he is proving to be an excellent field kick too, in the same vein that Franklin was at his best.

For me, a top level key forward who can both score and provide at an elite level will always be more valuable than any midfielder, because they serve a structurally important role that is incredibly difficult to find. As much as people like to hype up Ablett and Judd as two of the greatest players of the last 20 years, I don't think either of them brought as much value to their football team as say, Nick Riewoldt, Jonathan Brown or Tom Hawkins did for their respective clubs.

The same thing applies for this comparison. Nick Daicos will be a prolific ball-winner and a quality ball-user, but in 2-3 years time, I suspect post clubs would choose Ugle-Hagan over him.

Hard to argue considering how well Daicos is doing right now, but I'm genuinely as excited watching Jamarra as I was watching a young Bont. He just looks so dominant inside 50 at the moment. Obviously his goalkicking has been atrocious, but I'm sure that'll be ironed out.

Again, hard to argue against Daicos being more valuable right now, but I don't think it's a silly thing to suggest Jamarra may be in a few years.

JHF will be better than both in 3 years
Bored The Office GIF

There is no doubt Nick Daicos has hit his strides earlier on in his career, but for me, Ugle-Hagan will end up the better, more valuable player.

Ugle-Hagan has already shown more than enough to prove he is clearly the best young key-forward in the competition, and rather than just being a mark-kick type forward (King/McKay/Wright) he is proving to be an excellent field kick too, in the same vein that Franklin was at his best.

For me, a top level key forward who can both score and provide at an elite level will always be more valuable than any midfielder, because they serve a structurally important role that is incredibly difficult to find. As much as people like to hype up Ablett and Judd as two of the greatest players of the last 20 years, I don't think either of them brought as much value to their football team as say, Nick Riewoldt, Jonathan Brown or Tom Hawkins did for their respective clubs.

The same thing applies for this comparison. Nick Daicos will be a prolific ball-winner and a quality ball-user, but in 2-3 years time, I suspect post clubs would choose Ugle-Hagan over him.
Daicos is on track to be the best pl ayer of the modern era.
Maybe wait and see if he actually develops into a superstar first.

Nice ‘debut’.
People forget how amazing Jeremy Cameron was. As a 19 yr old was kicking bags in one of the worst teams in the game.
If JUH ends up close as good, you will have a great player.

Last edited:
Nice ‘debut’.
People forget how amazing Jeremy Cameron was. As a 19 yr old was kicking bags in one of the worst teams in the game.
If JUH ends up close as good, you will have a great player.
Meanwhile people like you forget that it took many years for players like Nick Riewoldt, Jonathan Brown, Tom Hawkins, Jack Riewoldt, Josh Kennedy, Lance Franklin, Jarryd Roughead and more to hit their strides.

Was Cameron good in his debut year? Yeah. Do I still think Ugle-Hagan will end up a more valuable player than Daicos? Yeah.

Meanwhile people like you forget that it took many years for players like Nick Riewoldt, Jonathan Brown, Tom Hawkins, Jack Riewoldt, Josh Kennedy, Lance Franklin, Jarryd Roughead and more to hit their strides.

Was Cameron good in his debut year? Yeah. Do I still think Ugle-Hagan will end up a more valuable player than Daicos? Yeah.
Good for you.

Thanks for sharing.

Jhye Clark will end up more valuable than both.

My previous response to this was deleted by a mod because apparently it was 'injury trolling'.

Turns out I didn't realise he'd been injured. Was following his progress early on in the VFL and he looked to be struggling to make an impact. May have to wait another 12 months to form a better opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just like Tom Lynch who was a diehard Collingwood supporter who's family are Collingwood coterie members, yet ended up choosing to go to Richmond instead?
But not club sponsors….
But relax, I’m only playing with you.

Last edited:
JUH reminds me of Chris Tarrant a bit, looks great but he's a lazy kick for goal, would be better off in the backline imo

Can't see him rising above Tarrant's reputation as a lively but iffy forward and useful defender

Comparing him to Daicos is just rude 👎

My previous response to this was deleted by a mod because apparently it was 'injury trolling'.

Turns out I didn't realise he'd been injured. Was following his progress early on in the VFL and he looked to be struggling to make an impact. May have to wait another 12 months to form a better opinion.
Very sensitive mod, because he did play the first half a dozen games in the VFL and to be honest, looked like he had a fair way to go.

Your comments were spot on. Absolutely no reason to suggest he will be anywhere near the same level as others even from the 2022 draft.

JUH reminds me of Chris Tarrant a bit, looks great but he's a lazy kick for goal, would be better off in the backline imo

Can't see him rising above Tarrant's reputation as a lively but iffy forward and useful defender

Posts like this remind me why Collingwood supporters are known for missing teeth.

Weird take. His goalkicking is inconsistent but I think he is our most natural forward. Even more so than Naughton.

Weird take. His goalkicking is inconsistent but I think he is our most natural forward. Even more so than Naughton.
Goalkicking is the most important part of being a forward, if you can't do that you belong in defence.

He torched us the other week but couldn't make it count, misses easy shots.

Goalkicking is the most important part of being a forward, if you can't do that you belong in defence.

He torched us the other week but couldn't make it count, misses easy shots.
How was Travis Cloke's goalkicking, champ?

If only Malthouse had a beacon of intellect like yourself giving him advice, maybe your mob would've actually won the flag in 2010... oh wait.

Hawkins and Kennedy took a bit of time to hit their stride. The others broke out at least by their fourth year. That means JUH has until next year.

He’s got some talent but got a long way to go before even being considered in the top forwards let alone top players in the league like Daicos is already.

How was Travis Cloke's goalkicking, champ?

If only Malthouse had a beacon of intellect like yourself giving him advice, maybe your mob would've actually won the flag in 2010... oh wait.
I'm not the one comparing guys like Cloke and JUH to the unprecedented 2nd year juggernaut Daicos

Ridiculous thread, it has already aged badly

Hawkins and Kennedy took a bit of time to hit their stride. The others broke out at least by their fourth year. That means JUH has until next year.

He’s got some talent but got a long way to go before even being considered in the top forwards let alone top players in the league like Daicos is already.
Ugle-Hagan has absolutely shown he is clearly the best key-forward aged 21 or under, champ. No one else is even close.

Anyone with a modicum of football knowledge can also see he clearly has the tools it takes to be just as good as those aforementioned players, if not better. Even without scoring as many goals, he already has far more strings to his bow than the usual mark-kick type forwards (Harry McKay, Mitch Lewis, Max King, etc).

Are people forgetting Buddy kicked 70+ goals in his 3rd season?

That was his break out year as an A grader. 2008 was his break out from A grade to genuine best player in the comp level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Moved Thread Jamarra Ugle-Hagan will end up more valuable than Nick Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back