James Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

The kind of club that values good decision making and foot skills, both of which Frawley lacks.

Hope this helps.

The guy may well end up at the Hawks and if that's the case they will spend a lot of time fixing both of these things.
To be fair you just described Lake to a tee! He is a terrible decision maker and kick but can defend very well. So this statement isn't exactly right. But do you want 2 players like this?

Hope he goes to the cats and they continue to slide into oblivion.

What a bunch of muppets you are.

Geelong won 17 home and away games in 2014, they have won something like 50 of their last 51 games at Shell stadium, including spanking your blokes by 180+ points.

Not that you blokes would understand finals football is tough ... they only lost by 6 points.

There is only one club in the AFL heading for oblivion and its ironically oblivion comments are coming from MFC supporters.

Seriously, do you ever STFU, im tired of reading your drivvle about Melbourne, you have already bored everyone to death with your Frawley thread on the Trade board.

Geelong won 17 home and away games in 2014, they have won something like 50 of their last 51 games at Shell stadium, including spanking your blokes by 180+ points.

Not that you blokes would understand finals football is tough ... they only lost by 6 points.

There is only one club in the AFL heading for oblivion and its ironically oblivion comments are coming from MFC supporters.

Pot meet kettle.

Woud love to have Frawley, still confused to why we have a tight salary cap given the recent departure of Lumumba, Maxwell, Ball plus Thomas and Shaw from last year.

Port has got an extra 12 million dividend plus from the AFL over the last decade...ie 12 million more than other clubs. Just to help them out. It worked, they are about to win their way into a preliminary final. Will the AFL "dividend" stop next year? Not likely.

North...same type of thing. Extra money from the AFL, ("only" 2 or 3 million last year though) the Tasmanian deal etc etc etc, they get "equalisation" money despite them having a better team than my team..

Guess how much "equalisation" money Carlton has got despite not having made a preliminary final in 15 years? nil, none, zilch.

North - 2nd preliminary in last 8 years... gets millions and millions year after year from the AFL.

Have to remember we're getting
  • Home games v Richmond, Collingwood and Essendon every year - boosting out coffers straight up
  • 2011 - 6 Friday night games, 2 Thursday (including the opening)
  • 2012 - 6 Friday night games, 3 Thursday (including opening + Easter Thursday)
  • 2013 - 5 Friday night games, 1 Thursday (including the opening)
  • North got 1 FNG in 2011 and 2012, and 3 in 2013
  • And the AFL has a much better look at some clubs certain finances these days
If you're happy to see those big stage games get divided up more evenly, and the opening mixed up, then yeah sure equalisation is a bit of a joke.
But the exposure we get, our sponsors would be thrilled, plus I know I'd rather go see us play Collingwood on Friday night at the MCG, then go up against the Dogs or Port at Etihad on Sunday twilight like we did this year..

Woud love to have Frawley, still confused to why we have a tight salary cap given the recent departure of Lumumba, Maxwell, Ball plus Thomas and Shaw from last year.
Here's a hint:

303iw4i.jpg

As for the compensation talk - if there has to be compo, then I'm happy with how it is now: based on the contract offered.

If a player gets offered only 300k a year, then yeah shit compo because they aren't sought after.
If Geelong offer Frawley 500k+ a year though, then yeah they should be looking at a top 5 pick or thereabouts. How many players from each club get 500k a year, and would you give them up for pick 3?

This is the likes of Dangerfield, Sloane, Rockliff, Murphy, Gibbs, Judd, Thomas, Pendlebury, Beams, Cloke, Swan, Goddard, Watson, Hurley, Sandilands, Pavlich, Fyfe, Mundy, Selwood, Johnson, Hawkins, Taylor, Ablett, Scully, Ward, Davis, Mitchell, Hodge, Roughead, Dawes, Jones, Swallow, Wells, Goldstein, Boak, Gray, Deledio, J.Riewoldt, Cotchin, Franklin, Tippett, Kennedy, N.Riewoldt, Montagna, Naitanui, Kennedy and Griffen.

Yes, some in that category are overpaid (Thomas, Scully, Dawes), but for nearly all the rest, they wouldn't go for a singular top 5 pick, or pick 3-5 would be market value, i.e. not above.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

[QUOT2NormSmith, post: 35080205, member: 73536"]The system is Rock solid, the Dees get pick 3 for Frawley, we get pick 19 for Franklin when he is on double the salary and is contracted until the age of 92.[/QUOTE]

The compensation is in favour of the lower teams but the chances of landing a free agent are heavily in favour of the higher teams.

All fair in the end.

The system is Rock solid, the Dees get pick 3 for Frawley, we get pick 19 for Franklin when he is on double the salary and is contracted until the age of 92.

As it stands, the rules are based on objective criteria. $$ and years.

Changing it so top teams get more fair just leads to more 'favouritism' or 'subjectiveness', and after Hawks fans whinging all year about 'COLA' and Buddy, I dare say keeping the AFL from making up compo as they go is a good thing.

Keep it to how much they're being offered in relation to their demand - if you've won a flag that year and so your band 1 compo is pick 20, I'm sure you'll move on.

How many players are earning more than $600k? 41 in 2014.

Equalisation isn't just about the quality of your list, it's as much about levelling out the fixture etc to make up for lost sponsorship $$$'s on account of team X not playing any Friday/Saturday night FTA games.

Good. So the AFL will give Carlton an extra dividend for lost sponsorship due to playing 3 or 4 Sunday night and Monday night games.

People go on about Carlton playing Friday night matches yet COMPLETELY ignore Carlton being forced to play so many Sunday night matches.

Carlton played three Sunday night matches, Melbourne - none, Hawthorn no Sunday night matches, etc.

Carlton vs Port Sunday night only got 24,000 - lost 10,000 attendance... so you approve of Carlton getting compensation for this match I presume? Is Carlton getting compensation for playing so many matches at Docklands with the smaller gate receipts?

Carlton vs Essendon Sunday night - only got 60,000 - lost attendance of 15,000
Carlton vs Collingwood Sunday night- 45,000 - lost attendance of at least 20,000

The AFL should compensate Essendon and Collingwood for these matches.

Melbourne 6 saturday night matches
Port Adelaide 4 saturday night matches
Esssendon 5 Saturday night matches
St Kilda 3 saturday night matches

Carlton - JUST TWO SATURDAY NIGHT MATCHES - where is the compensation for Carlton due to the fixture?

Plus the monday night games...Carlton played 2 of these - your team probably none. Where is the compensation for this due to lost sponsorship and membership?

Last edited:
Once the AFL starts this compensation merry go round...they better ensure they spread their largesse to more than just Port, Melbourne, etc.
They want compensation for certain teams but not others.

The reason Carlton haven't made a prelim in 15 years is more the fact that it's a poorly run club that was caught cheating.

And for the gentleman who said Carlton got caught cheating... those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Every single club (except the new franchises) have been caught cheating the cap in one way or another. Sydney, Essendon, Brisbane and Melbourne have been caught repeatedly and for large figures it's just that you choose to ignore this.

The AFL should compensate Essendon and Collingwood for these matches.

Melbourne 6 saturday night matches
Port Adelaide 4 saturday night matches
Esssendon 5 Saturday night matches
St Kilda 3 saturday night matches

Carlton - JUST TWO SATURDAY NIGHT MATCHES - where is the compensation for Carlton due to the fixture?

Why should the AFL compensate them?
Carlton exist because of the AFL, the club is part of a broad structure.
Without the AFL, Carlton would not exist, they should just consider themselves lucky - same as Collingwood.
If the AFL do not get a backbone fast, then it might well open itself right up (which would result in some very strong sides, yet very poor ones).
The only problem I see wrong with the above number of Sat nights for each sides, is that St Kilda should have more - but maybe the got more Fridays than Melbourne? Not sure. Either way, it is a complex process for the AFL to juggle, but I see no grounds at all for compensation for the strong sides.
The AFL will naturally be swayed to apease the TV rights owners, so the big sides will always get their fair share.

Why should the AFL compensate them?
Carlton exist because of the AFL, the club is part of a broad structure.
Without the AFL, Carlton would not exist, they should just consider themselves lucky - same as Collingwood.
If the AFL do not get a backbone fast, then it might well open itself right up (which would result in some very strong sides, yet very poor ones).
The only problem I see wrong with the above number of Sat nights for each sides, is that St Kilda should have more - but maybe the got more Fridays than Melbourne? Not sure. Either way, it is a complex process for the AFL to juggle, but I see no grounds at all for compensation for the strong sides.
The AFL will naturally be swayed to apease the TV rights owners, so the big sides will always get their fair share.

Ahh...well done. You hit the nail on the head.

The perception is that Carlton is a "strong side". You are referrring to the 1980s though. Since then Carlton has done next to nothing.

eg North Melbourne has made 2 preliminary finals since 2007.
Carlton has made none.

Therefore, under my criteria Carlton should not be considered a "strong club" but instead should be bracketed with the "weaker clubs" and start getting all this financial compensation that other teams get.

The AFL I think believes Carlton is strong due to their revenue stream, but the reality is Carlton is far weaker than what it should be. The AFL should be giving extra dividends to Carlton so that it can keep up with all the other clubs. You could label it compensation for playing at Docklands, compensation for Monday and Sunday night games/lack of Saturday night games...call it want you want, but Carlton deserve some extra money just as much as any other club.

Ahh...well done. You hit the nail on the head.

The perception is that Carlton is a "strong side". You are referrring to the 1980s though. Since then Carlton has done next to nothing.

eg North Melbourne has made 2 preliminary finals since 2007.
Carlton has made none.

Therefore, under my criteria Carlton should not be considered a "strong club" but instead should be bracketed with the "weaker clubs" and start getting all this financial compensation that other teams get.

The AFL I think believes Carlton is strong due to their revenue stream, but the reality is Carlton is far weaker than what it should be. The AFL should be giving extra dividends to Carlton so that it can keep up with all the other clubs. You could label it compensation for playing at Docklands, compensation for Monday and Sunday night games/lack of Saturday night games...call it want you want, but Carlton deserve some extra money just as much as any other club.

Classic Carlton. Throw money at a problem to try to make it go away. Your already doing that btw, check your football department spending vs the roos.

Remove this Banner Ad

James Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back