Coach James Hird - is it time to give him a second chance at coaching an AFL club? Gil says yes!

Should James Hird be given a second chance at coaching an AFL club?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The same Voss who went away and improved his coaching credentials, went and did the apprenticeship for about 10 years under another experienced coach (and former experienced assistant) like he should've done in the first place. During that time as an assistant spent time and money improving his deficiencies by taking courses, and working through various programs and engineering some as well for Port.

At least Hird can spend the pre-game and post-game period discussing the merits of chocolate to the 23, and if their season is not going well can speak about all the low experiences he's endured.

Yeah and Hird improved his credentials by doing 10 weeks work experience for GWS. Can people stop arguing against Hirdy coming back, it’s good insurance for the rest of us - that our clubs won’t be the biggest shambles in the league going forward.

Whately said today that it was brave of Hird to put his name forward for the role but I would argue it isn't bravery, it is narcissism.

Absolutely 100%
It’s not just about what happened previously or that his coaching isn’t great, it’s about the time out of coaching also. How can he not understand this?

I sorta want Hird to get the job just so I can get the popcorn out. However if he does, he will keep coaching until he dies.
Would there be a way Hird could ever get sacked?
If it weren’t for the drug saga, he would’ve broken the games coached record by so many it’s not funny. Untouchable.

This is a matter for the bomber faithful, and everyone deserves a second chance.

But,

leaving aside the history, the fact that he has worked part time for 1 year, out of the last 7, in football, seems quite odd.

Voss at least went and did the work, but Hird has a special place in bomber hearts.

It would be bizarre if he got the gig, but by the sounds of it, he already has the job.

Incredible

The same Voss who went away and improved his coaching credentials, went and did the apprenticeship for about 10 years under another experienced coach (and former experienced assistant) like he should've done in the first place. During that time as an assistant spent time and money improving his deficiencies by taking courses, and working through various programs and engineering some as well for Port.

At least Hird can spend the pre-game and post-game period discussing the merits of chocolate to the 23, and if their season is not going well can speak about all the low experiences he's endured.
Yep - Voss learned from his mistake. Voss, Buckley, and Hird all got gifted Head coaching roles, and all failed. It would have been hard to turn down the roles at the time, but in hindsight all three appointments were mistakes

Voss is thew only one who has learned from this and put in the time to do it right. Buckley has realised that he is not a coach, but Hird still thinks he was wronged. I hope Voss succeeds and others see the path he followed. And I hope Hird and Essendon get what they deserve.

With all this going on I’m not sure why any other candidate would want the job. You know on your first day that a large portion of the club don’t want you there and want you to fail.

They just need to pull the pin and appoint Hird and detonate the place. It’s the only way.

Whately said today that it was brave of Hird to put his name forward for the role but I would argue it isn't bravery, it is narcissism.
I'm with Whately, it is brave. And stunning.

Stunning and brave. Anyone who disagrees is just a hater.

Robbo and Wheatley on AFL 360 were really doing the sell job last night going hard to support for Hird being coach. Remember that these two were on Hird's PR team during the drug trial - his legal team was getting paid to brief them by Hird and Essendon and they in turn wrote pro-Hird lies. The decision has been made and NewsCorp and the AFL will be in full spin mode painting Hird as the Prodigal Son, the victim in all of this.

This is a matter for the bomber faithful, and everyone deserves a second chance.

But,

leaving aside the history, the fact that he has worked part time for 1 year, out of the last 7, in football, seems quite odd.

Voss at least went and did the work, but Hird has a special place in bomber hearts.

It would be bizarre if he got the gig, but by the sounds of it, he already has the job.

Incredible

If the guy wanted a second chance he should have been assistant coaching for the last three seasons. Even if it is mostly performative, there is something to humbling yourself, falling down the hierarchy, taking a pay cut and build your way back up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robbo and Wheatley on AFL 360 were really doing the sell job last night going hard to support for Hird being coach. Remember that these two were on Hird's PR team during the drug trial - his legal team was getting paid to brief them by Hird and Essendon and they in turn wrote pro-Hird lies.
Haven’t heard this before. I just had a quick google but couldn’t find anything. Do you remember where you read/heard this? Wouldn’t surprise me in any way but want to find a source

I reckon that's the first time in the last 9 years that I seen an Essendon supporter look at this objectively.

Agree there has been some out-there supporters, but in this thread there's a lot of solid Bombers making good sense, actually refreshing.

Haven’t heard this before. I just had a quick google but couldn’t find anything. Do you remember where you read/heard this? Wouldn’t surprise me in any way but want to find a source
It was in one of Hird's trials when he was looking for costs as part of the settlement - in the breakdown there were weekly costs charged by his legal team for giving briefings to News Limited Journalists.

This was James cover letter.

A6CA4F42-AE94-4CFB-AE4C-090D8A28F620.jpeg

It was in one of Hird's trials when he was looking for costs as part of the settlement - in the breakdown there were weekly costs charged by his legal team for giving briefings to News Limited Journalists.
Lol that is so ****ed. Don’t know why I’m surprised. Further confirms my very low opinion of Whately - he makes out like he’s an intellectual and moral voice, but he’s a little grub who’s none too smart or moral

I sorta want Hird to get the job just so I can get the popcorn out.
On the one hand, I want Essendon to get this out of their system and officially break up with their man-crush James Hird for good.

On the other hand, the opt-in/opt-out nature of media discourse allows people to be cocooned in their own media sources with their own narratives and their own conspiracies.

The club will waste another ten years with their heads buried in the sand, telling themselves that they are on the right track and indulging in their own victim narrative.

This is straight out of the Trump playbook.

But,

Incredible
Wasn't his second chance when he coached them again after his suspension and then got sacked after hardly winning a game.

So is this technically his 3rd chance?

Timmy feigning playing a straight bat but you just know he is keen...

Tim numerous times... "he's a really intelligent bloke".... so Mr Intelligent who had no clue what was transpiring around him and injecting his son with... I reckon he is intelligent enough to know how to try and con everyone of his non complicity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach James Hird - is it time to give him a second chance at coaching an AFL club? Gil says yes!

Back