Coach James Hird - is it time to give him a second chance at coaching an AFL club? Gil says yes!

Should James Hird be given a second chance at coaching an AFL club?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there any other club more obsessed with a player?

Yes pies fans love Bucks but the club was mature enough to move on.

Essendon treat this guy like a genuine god. It’s actually a little scary.
Most sensible Essendon fans don’t want him.. issue is 85% of our supporters are nuffies..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because football is his life and he’s mentally tough and has shown time and time again he can bounce back from near oblivion

Do you remember the time he got his face caved in and when he got back after the injury the first thing he did within minutes on the ground was dive headfirst into a contest?

No. You probably don’t .
He's clearly not mentally tough.

There's no shame in that at all, mind you. But why do Essendon fans rewrite history for this guy?

Mentally tough, intelligent, successful, good looking, great businessman, good coach....there's literally no evidence to suggest any of this is true.

He's the closest thing to a false idol I've ever seen.

Essendon must sign him for the lols
Hird returning next year, winning enough games to scrape into the 8, playing Carlton on a Friday night and having Shiel kicking a goal with less than a minute to go to win it for Essendon.

Now that would be the lols

There's no shame in that at all, mind you. But why do Essendon fans rewrite history for this guy?

Mentally tough, intelligent, successful, good looking, great businessman, good coach....there's literally no evidence to suggest any of this is true.

Agreed.

However all idols are false bar one.

That's the whole point. ;)

Mentally tough;
  • coming back from TWO serious and significant career threatening injuries to play high level football
  • has opted to front the masses more often than not, when the time is right (he didn't have to do 'the Howie games as one example).
  • He is back in football despite every amateur pundit not wanting him to be

Inteligent;
- You clearly don't listen to him enough because this is clearly just baseless negative opinion. That is your right but I (and many) would strongly disagree on this one.

Succesful;
  • He won a Brownlow in his 4th year as an AFL player, he won a premiership in his 3rd year and his 10th year
  • He won all Australians in multiple positions, even won captaincy in said teams iirc

Good looking;
- what ever floats your boat, he's not the worst looking bloke out there that's for sure.

Great businessman;
- I guess you've never heard of Gembha, the business Hird contributed to and ended up making millions on. He is an avid entrepreneur who has made many a great deals.

Good coach;

Again, this is up to you but in that ravaged season of 2012 Hird had the club inside the top 4 up to the half way point of the season before the wheels fell off on the back of the saga leaking. 2013 was very similar, 4th at round 18 suggests he was going well. 42 wins / 45 losses / 1 draw as his overall record. Writing was on the wall by 2015 with the wheels falling off finishing 15th with a 6 wins, 16 losses but the after effects of the saga still hanging over the players heads.

Up to you how you want to view him but happy to prove your opinion is wrong with facts.

Agreed.

However all idols are false bar one.

That's the whole point. ;)
Billy?
billy idol 80s GIF

Mentally tough;
  • coming back from TWO serious and significant career threatening injuries to play high level football
  • has opted to front the masses more often than not, when the time is right (he didn't have to do 'the Howie games as one example).

Inteligent;
- You clearly don't listen to him enough because this is clearly just baseless negative opinion. That is your right but I (and many) would strongly disagree on this one.

Succesful;
  • He won a Brownlow in his 4th year as an AFL player, he won a premiership in his 3rd year and his 10th year
  • He won all Australians in multiple positions, even won captaincy in said teams iirc

Good looking;
- what ever floats your boat, he's not the worst looking bloke out there that's for sure.

Great businessman;
- I guess you've never heard of Gembha, the business Hird contributed to and ended up making millions on. He is an avid entrepreneur who has made many a great deals.

Good coach;

Again, this is up to you but in that ravaged season of 2012 Hird had the club inside the top 4 up to the half way point of the season before the wheels fell off on the back of the saga leaking. 2013 was very similar, 4th at round 18 suggests he was going well. 42 wins / 45 losses / 1 draw as his overall record. Writing was on the wall by 2015 with the wheels falling off finishing 15th with a 6 wins, 16 losses but the after effects of the saga still hanging over the players heads.

Up to you how you want to view him but happy to prove your opinion is wrong with facts.
Barracks for Gold Coast probably only started following footy recently and never seen hird play

Mentally tough;

Inteligent;

Succesful;

Good looking;

Great businessman;

Good coach;

Gonna counter this

1- how much of this does clarkson, dimma, bomber or lethal have in their corner. All 4 are the coaches of the 21st century

2- gemba are a middling sport consultancy firm. Not really at the cutting edge of anything. The tennis thing had weight, but the fact it never got off the ground says a bit given where cricket has gone to break the shackles of tradition for a modern audience

3- 2012 was a doped up squad that fell in a heap of a soft tissue injuries
2013 was a year the players responded to their backs being against the wall.
Come 2014, even bomber couldnt do any better than knights, worsfold, rutten and hird himself.

4-has there ever been a good looking premiership coach?

Failed coach is sacked from team which happens to be where he played, learns his lessons, has successful many years as assistant and comes back to top coach role at other club

VS

Failed cheating coach sacked from team where he played, learns zero lessons, one year as assistant at shitty Giants, goes back to club where he failed and cheated

yeah nah
Yeah but he’s rich

Mentally tough;

Inteligent;

Succesful;

Good looking;

Great businessman;

Good coach;

I don't question his football ability and football career. He was a champion.

It's the rest of it that just isn't true. Outside of what he did in the football field, he's just an average guy.

Failed at most things he's done, and the things that have actually succeeded are things that his wealthy mates have done, and simply allowed him to tag along.

He's just an average guy that isn't that great at life when left to fend for himself. What he has done well I admit, is capitalise on his ability to play footy well.

As I said, no shame in any of that. It's all really quite normal.

And that's where it ends. He's just a normal, run of the mill, average level person.

He's no deity. He's no particularly intelligent. Hasn't succeeded at anything outside of the football the field, and crumbled terrible when things didn't go his way.

Just an average bloke.

The way tragic (I don't mean in the good sense) Essendon fans try to portray him is just hilarious. It's textbook Essendon with their desperate need for a hero to make themselves feel better about life.

Sadly though, Hird just isn't that guy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach James Hird - is it time to give him a second chance at coaching an AFL club? Gil says yes!

Back