Coach James Hird - is it time to give him a second chance at coaching an AFL club? Gil says yes!

Should James Hird be given a second chance at coaching an AFL club?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

They know exactly what we know - that coteries run the joint.

Who'd want to coach a club like that?

Yes I met a few of them on a trip once whilst Sheedy was in charge. To say Sheedy had them in his hip pocket is an understatement. When Essendon allowed Sheedy onto the board they invited Judas into their ranks. Its always been about Kevin, and Kevin loves Hird and so that was the beginning of the end for Rutten.

Mentally tough;
  • coming back from TWO serious and significant career threatening injuries to play high level football
  • has opted to front the masses more often than not, when the time is right (he didn't have to do 'the Howie games as one example).
  • He is back in football despite every amateur pundit not wanting him to be

Inteligent;
- You clearly don't listen to him enough because this is clearly just baseless negative opinion. That is your right but I (and many) would strongly disagree on this one.

Succesful;
  • He won a Brownlow in his 4th year as an AFL player, he won a premiership in his 3rd year and his 10th year
  • He won all Australians in multiple positions, even won captaincy in said teams iirc

Good looking;
- what ever floats your boat, he's not the worst looking bloke out there that's for sure.

Great businessman;
- I guess you've never heard of Gembha, the business Hird contributed to and ended up making millions on. He is an avid entrepreneur who has made many a great deals.

Good coach;

Again, this is up to you but in that ravaged season of 2012 Hird had the club inside the top 4 up to the half way point of the season before the wheels fell off on the back of the saga leaking. 2013 was very similar, 4th at round 18 suggests he was going well. 42 wins / 45 losses / 1 draw as his overall record. Writing was on the wall by 2015 with the wheels falling off finishing 15th with a 6 wins, 16 losses but the after effects of the saga still hanging over the players heads.

Up to you how you want to view him but happy to prove your opinion is wrong with facts.

1550532461191_GHQ22UHJS.1-1.jpg

Yeah he's a supermodel mate 🤣

A good looking man probably wouldn't still be rocking the Jonathan Taylor Thomas/hugh Grant hairdo from the 90s but whatever floats your boat

Hird returning next year, winning enough games to scrape into the 8, playing Carlton on a Friday night and having Shiel kicking a goal with less than a minute to go to win it for Essendon.

Now that would be the lols

Wow, an elimination final win against a fellow middle of the road battler. Dream big, fella.

The 17 years of failure has really done a number on the Essendon psyche.

Hird had a win rate of 45% didn't he?
That would make him the most successful Essendon coach since the late 1960s, with the exception of Kevin Sheedy

Hird returning next year, winning enough games to scrape into the 8, playing Carlton on a Friday night and having Shiel kicking a goal with less than a minute to go to win it for Essendon.

Now that would be the lols

I would love Scarlett Johansson to give me a ******* but that's just a fairytale too.

Again, this is up to you but in that ravaged season of 2012 Hird had the club inside the top 4 up to the half way point of the season before the wheels fell off

I wonder what on earth could have assisted such a strong start to the season, quickly followed by an enormous amount of soft tissue injuries 🧐 🧐

I went to the 150th celebration match against Carlton. The pre-game was just weird. It was a cross between WWE and what I imagine Berlin in the late 1930s felt like.
so glad I missed that one.
that game, the lead in to dreamtime off the back of the Parker/Shiel swans game....that's us in a nutshell. Soft, delusional & cluster****ed

I reckon that's the first time in the last 9 years that I seen an Essendon supporter look at this objectively.

you havent been looking hard.

this very thread has multiple Essendon supporters saying Hird should not coach us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why was my comment moved to the Drugs/ASADA forum? His involvement in that is part of his legacy as a head coach and is a legitimate consideration for any coaching job he applies for.
Yoda_ didn't like it.

I listen to my mods.

Mentally tough;
  • coming back from TWO serious and significant career threatening injuries to play high level football
  • has opted to front the masses more often than not, when the time is right (he didn't have to do 'the Howie games as one example).

Inteligent;
- You clearly don't listen to him enough because this is clearly just baseless negative opinion. That is your right but I (and many) would strongly disagree on this one.

Succesful;
  • He won a Brownlow in his 4th year as an AFL player, he won a premiership in his 3rd year and his 10th year
  • He won all Australians in multiple positions, even won captaincy in said teams iirc

Good looking;
- what ever floats your boat, he's not the worst looking bloke out there that's for sure.

Great businessman;
- I guess you've never heard of Gembha, the business Hird contributed to and ended up making millions on. He is an avid entrepreneur who has made many a great deals.

Good coach;

Again, this is up to you but in that ravaged season of 2012 Hird had the club inside the top 4 up to the half way point of the season before the wheels fell off on the back of the saga leaking. 2013 was very similar, 4th at round 18 suggests he was going well. 42 wins / 45 losses / 1 draw as his overall record. Writing was on the wall by 2015 with the wheels falling off finishing 15th with a 6 wins, 16 losses but the after effects of the saga still hanging over the players heads.

Up to you how you want to view him but happy to prove your opinion is wrong with facts.
You're surely not throwing up 2012 as an example of Hird being a good coach? Really? It's embarrassing if you are. You don't need to respond to every single post on here defending your club. Some things you can just let slide.

Mentally tough;

Inteligent;

Succesful;

Good looking;

Great businessman;

Good coach;

Geez, you got me a bit hot and bothered. What a man :fire:

I wonder why Dean Solomon isn't the one that EFC deem worthier?

• He's one of them
  • A premiership player
  • Fair tough player in his day
  • Done a decent apprenticeship and even took over a senior team for a period of time
  • Has been touted a senior coach in waiting

I find it amusing that he was the one unknown of the 4 candidates interviewed until it finally came to light.. almost like Robbo Hun didn't want any shine being taken away from the drive to annoint Golden boy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach James Hird - is it time to give him a second chance at coaching an AFL club? Gil says yes!

Back