Play Nice James Hird rushed to hospital - suspected overdose

Remove this Banner Ad

What a lot of crap. Caroline should not feel any guilt whatsoever. Hird, Dank etc initiated a program to cheat. Got caught and has to bear the consequences. Have half-hearted weaselly "apologies". No-one wants to see Hird dead, but let's not try and shift the blame to journalists who are just doing their job. The blame lies mostly with Dank (who apparently has water-tight evidence to clear the players, but won't release it) and Hird himself. I hope Hird recovers and leads a long life, but never has involvement at any level with the game I love (AFL).

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
I'm not sure they're just doing their job. That's the thing. Their job is to provide balanced reporting and they no doubt haven't gone after the AFL with the same ferocity as they have with Hird. This all happened under the AFL's watch and there needs to be some questions asked and definitely an insistence that there be a thorough investigation into the AFL practices and behaviour throughout this awful saga.

What an indictment on the ******* gutter journalists in this city that his wife has to release a statement asking them to leave her driveway. I can only think that these people never learned ethics as part of their studies or their cadetship, because it's pretty unethical to do this in any circumstances - it is belong unethical, and nothing short of outrageously ******* scummy to be doing it in cases of death, suicide or attempted suicide.

I don't have a lot of time for the Hird's after the last few years, but I felt for his wife over the last few days. The statement she should have been able to release was simply thanking family, friends and fans for their support.

I guess I didn't love the comments of people like Nathan Buckley and Rohan Connelly (who I actually really like as a journo when he's not discussing Essendon.) Undoubtedly the last few years would've weighed pretty heavily on James - mental illness doesn't discriminate, and it doesn't avoid people who are well off, or who have options in life, or who have young kids.

Which is part of the reason why I feel it's a bit untimely for Buckley in particular to grind his axe over how he thinks the media invades the private life of those involved in footy. Hird's had the Essendon stuff, he lost he's job, there's the rumours about his family life that we've all heard over the last year, and we don't know that he doesn't have long-standing mental health issues that precede the last few years. It's premature to "blame" his circumstance on his treatment (or his own actions) at Essendon - it's premature to blame what happened on anything. We just don't know, and people like Buckley and Connelly are guessing. That doesn't help anyone.
I was interested to see how the TV media handled Tanias statement.
Channel 10 and 9 both reported that she thanked the public for there support but never mentioned the request for the media scrum to move from the front nature strip. Selective journalism.
Channel 2 did mention it to there credit.

I'm not sure they're just doing their job. That's the thing. Their job is to provide balanced reporting and they no doubt haven't gone after the AFL with the same ferocity as they have with Hird. This all happened under the AFL's watch and there needs to be some questions asked and definitely an insistence that there be a thorough investigation into the AFL practices and behaviour throughout this awful saga.

Tbh, in a country whose media is now dominated by self interest and comment passed off as news, it's probably a little naive to say that the media's job is to provide balanced reporting. That hasn't really been the case probably since the last century.

Channel 10 and 9 both reported that she thanked the public for there support but never mentioned the request for the media scrum to move from the front nature strip. Selective journalism.

Seven

Nine

Ten

Tbh, in a country whose media is now dominated by self interest and comment passed off as news, it's probably a little naive to say that the media's job is to provide balanced reporting. That hasn't really been the case probably since the last century.
It doesn't mean that it shouldn't be though.

It is their job, they just choose not to do it.

The sports media's first and foremost thoughts are to make a dollar. Make no mistake. 2 hours after hird was admitted to hospital, reportedly in serious condition both the age (Rohan Connolly ) and the HS wrote articles about the demise of a champ. The stories had no information on the actual story of hirds condition or details on what happened. They were just articles re hashing old ground about lost friends and the supplements saga. Last years article from robbo on the eve of the 1st round about the 'Collingwood drug scandal' another great example, the 'list' that was leaked showed Collingwood had the 4th most positive samples and the list was leaked a month beforehand. He chose to make that into a story that would make the most money, right it the day of round one and focus on a club that sells papers. They have no shame.

Today on bigfooty's word of the day:

And moving on...
Yeah I reckon the good people of Toorak would leave him more or less alone actually.

At a recent private Christmas function, the ex-Essendon coach was savaged in front of stunned fellow guests by the wife of a prominent judge.

The woman was an Essendon supporter and berated Hird for his role in the supplements saga that brought a once mighty football club to its knees.

There have been several other unsavoury incidents involving members of the public approaching Hird and his young family.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/es...d/news-story/28bf6dbff21d7bfbd823db9d9c8fd5a9

I picked this up as well...just as they were showing shots of her and her daughter heading into their car. Disgrace

Yes agree, Hird involved with the club again would be cathartic and help him to accelerate the healing process.
It's astounding how much damage this mistake and subsequent cover up has created.
But the gross negligence and unprofessionalism was not committed by Hird alone.
Despising or destroying him will not resolve or undo the recklessness.
He's a champion of the game and has had to pay a very heavy price and will continue to do so, it's time for the greater world to let him start to heal slowly and Essendon should embrace him as soon as it can.

Sorry you got it wrong. Scum has got no 'r' in it.

Yeah I reckon the good people of Toorak would leave him more or less alone actually.

At a recent private Christmas function, the ex-Essendon coach was savaged in front of stunned fellow guests by the wife of a prominent judge.

The woman was an Essendon supporter and berated Hird for his role in the supplements saga that brought a once mighty football club to its knees.

She probably lives in Brighton. Them campaigners down there are the worst.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm glad someone else noticed that. They completely removed it from her quote.

You have to love the media, dontcha.

What is to be gained from the media hounding the family after a tragedy like this to their husband and father? This is beyond footy or anything else, it's a personal issue and there is absolutely no justification to set up camp in their street. What are they expecting Tania and the kids to hold a press conference for them? Maybe they'll get a "scoop" and she'll bring one of them along to visit him in his ward.

Regardless of what has happened before (and I am one who has been extremely critical of Hird and everyone involved at EFC) this is just beyond all comprehension. The cops should tell them to move on or they'll be booked for loitering, it's got nothing to do with journalism or seeking comments for a story and is now just harassment and downright stalking of a family in shock.

What is to be gained from the media hounding the family after a tragedy like this to their husband and father? This is beyond footy or anything else, it's a personal issue and there is absolutely no justification to set up camp in their street. What are they expecting Tania and the kids to hold a press conference for them? Maybe they'll get a "scoop" and she'll bring one of them along to visit him in his ward.

Regardless of what has happened before (and I am one who has been extremely critical of Hird and everyone involved at EFC) this is just beyond all comprehension. The cops should tell them to move on or they'll be booked for loitering, it's got nothing to do with journalism or seeking comments for a story and is now just harassment and downright stalking of a family in shock.
Our police are probably reluctant to take on the media but it's a nice idea. They media must have so much file footage of Tania driving out of her drive way it's ridiculous that they keep going back for more.

I'm actually surprised given how public the Hird's address has become that some of the more militant Essendon supporters on here and on social networks haven't gone and given the media a dressing down in some form.

There have been several other unsavoury incidents involving members of the public approaching Hird and his young family.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/es...d/news-story/28bf6dbff21d7bfbd823db9d9c8fd5a9
Honestly, does anyone blame her? Surely there are Essendon supporters out there that are upset with the club and the chief architects. I think that's fair enough. She probably could have handled it a bit better though.

Our police are probably reluctant to take on the media but it's a nice idea. They media must have so much file footage of Tania driving out of her drive way it's ridiculous that they keep going back for more.

I'm actually surprised given how public the Hird's address has become that some of the more militant Essendon supporters on here and on social networks haven't gone and given the media a dressing down in some form.
Nah. The media would love that. Would give them more to report on.

"Breaking news: Savage supporters harass poor journalists"

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice James Hird rushed to hospital - suspected overdose

Remove this Banner Ad

Back