James Podsiadly

Remove this Banner Ad

In 2012 we had 38 on our senior list and 1 player on the veterans list. That left us 1 player short, so we were allowed to "nominate" a rookie elevation from R1.

In 2014 we will have a full list of 40 players, so no nominated rookie.
Ok thanks for that mate. Truck and Radar both a year off from vets yeah?

That's going to make our forward line completely different, no need to play Pets who offers us nothing but tackles.

It's pretty obvious we had to offer Pods 2 years to get him over the line and that's a big risk. He looked to be struggling this year and in 2015 will only be a lot worse. I know he started late but how many key forwards are playing at 34?

Personally if we had the cap space I would have over paid him this year and second year would have been conditional. But then again I would have backed LJ in.

And where does this leave Smack? Surely he must be out.
That's going to make our forward line completely different, no need to play Pets who offers us nothing but tackles.

It's pretty obvious we had to offer Pods 2 years to get him over the line and that's a big risk. He looked to be struggling this year and in 2015 will only be a lot worse. I know he started late but how many key forwards are playing at 34?

Personally if we had the cap space I would have over paid him this year and second year would have been conditional. But then again I would have backed LJ in.

And where does this leave Smack? Surely he must be out.
Few things;

1. He will be 32 in 2014 season and 33 in 2015.

2. He didn't struggle at all in 2013. He finished 11th in their club champion award, 6th in the AFL for contested marks, and still kicked 33 goals despite having his role changed and playing further up the ground and in defence. He had more possessions and more marks than any other year of his career.

3. I really can't see the argument about it affecting LJ. Pods is there to replace Walker. If we're saying Pods keeps LJ out, then it follows LJ is taking Walkers position and will be dropped when Walker returns anyway???

LJ does not and can not replace Walker. I believe he's good enough to be selected in the same side as Pods and should then retain his spot when walker returns. Whether that be as third tall forward or across half back.

The advent of Podsiadly will see the gameplan revert to circa 2012

Watched the Freo game early season last night on Foxtel
Commentators said due to Tippett & Walker gone we had reverted from a predominately a long kicking side to 2 out of 3 kicks being short.
The lack of quality talls caused us to short chip around ......give opposition more time to flood back ....and made Jenkins job real tough.

With Pods, Walker, and Jenkins next year ......IMO we'll see a return to Sando's preferred gamestyle of long kicking with Betts & Pets at their feet.

We did not get Pods to play the short chipping game of 2013 :thumbsu:
Think your right on the money here.

I reckon they are confident that with a properly structured forward line, which they were robbed of this year, they can again challenge for top 4

Few things;

2. He didn't struggle at all in 2013. He finished 11th in their club champion award, 6th in the AFL for contested marks, and still kicked 33 goals despite having his role changed and playing further up the ground and in defence. He had more possessions and more marks than any other year of his career.

3. I really can't see the argument about it affecting LJ. Pods is there to replace Walker. If we're saying Pods keeps LJ out, then it follows LJ is taking Walkers position and will be dropped when Walker returns anyway???

LJ does not and can not replace Walker. I believe he's good enough to be selected in the same side as Pods and should then retain his spot when walker returns. Whether that be as third tall forward or across half back.

And his tackles inside forward 50. 4th most in the AFL in past 4 years

Not bad for an old fella

2 other things:

People worried about his age, he didn't play AFL until he was 28. His body hasn't been battered as much as someone who has been in the big league since 18 years old

He's a fitness guy, so its not like he's gonna get fat and chill out

I thought it before we got Jpod. I think it even more now. LJs future at the club is at CHB. With Talia at Full Back. He would be an outstanding CHB for us, has an engine, good brain, damaging skills and could hit the scoreboard from 60m
This is right on the money - he tore it up in the SANFL finals across half back - maybe not quite strong enough for a key post, but certainly floating across half back with damaging 50m kicks - love it

That's really old though

Which begs the elephant in the room question: why was he delisted. Not even offered for trade, instead discarded by the roadside

Sorry PJ man, you know I love you and all - but this question can't be ignored. Its super duper salient

This is right on the money - he tore it up in the SANFL finals across half back - maybe not quite strong enough for a key post, but certainly floating across half back with damaging 50m kicks - love it
Not sure on everyone's love to move Taila to FB when he kills it at CHB, run and rebound can be done by the little blokes, let Talia do what he does best. Hartigan can be our FB when the truck gets defected.

Not sure on everyone's love to move Taila to FB when he kills it at CHB, run and rebound can be done by the little blokes, let Talia do what he does best. Hartigan can be our FB when the truck gets defected.
Agreed - I think we are going to see Talia gradually become more offensive anyway

That's really old though

Which begs the elephant in the room question: why was he delisted. Not even offered for trade, instead discarded by the roadside

Sorry PJ man, you know I love you and all - but this question can't be ignored. Its super duper salient
Yeah I get the argument. I can go on what I read over at the Cats board. Their list was top heavy with 30+ players and , having fallen just short this year, it was time to trim the over 30's, bite the bullet and get some games into younger players to rise again in 2015/16.

It's therefore a list management policy decision rather than an individual assessment. In that regard it's super salient that Pods, Chapman and Hunt will all be playing on next year after fielding multiple offers ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably knew that trading him was a waste of time for what they'd get? (rubbish). He patches a temporary hole for us, Geelong doesn't have the same needs we do.

As long as he's only patching that temporary hole.

It's not like Geelong are bursting at the seams with quality forwards either, so why delist him? If we play him once Walker is back Sando has lost the plot.

That's really old though

Like someone else mentioned, they have 12 players who are 29 currently. Thats 12 players over 30 by seasons end 2014, and 11 of these are regular 22 players. Come round 1 next season they would have been fielding 8 30+ players, so they are preparing now for the barrage of retirements. Thats the only reason I can see them delisting Pods

Whenever I used to watch Geelong play, I always called him "grandpa Podsiadly". Or "old man Pods". Now that he will be wearing the tri-colours I'm not sure what to feel or think.

Ok thanks for that mate. Truck and Radar both a year off from vets yeah?
Both were on the veterans list this year and will be again in 2014. Johncock was also on the veterans list this year.

The AFL changed the way team lists are structured at the end of last year, coinciding with the introduction of FA. Previously clubs had a senior list of 38 plus two positions which could be filled by either a veteran or a nominated rookie. For most of our history we had 2 veterans. In 2012 Doughty was our only veteran and Callinan was a nominated rookie.

As of this year the veterans list was rolled into the senior list. Clubs now have a senior list of 40. They also changed the veteran eligibility rules and how their salaries are counted under the cap.

I thought it before we got Jpod. I think it even more now. LJs future at the club is at CHB. With Talia at Full Back. He would be an outstanding CHB for us, has an engine, good brain, damaging skills and could hit the scoreboard from 60m
It would certainly be interesting to see how he goes in defence. All reports are that he has done well playing there with North Adelaide.

Because Geelong had 7 players aged 30+ and needed to restore some balance to the age structure of their list. He's a victim of Geelong's version of the Torney rule.

Super duper irrelevant and not salient at all.

As long as he's only patching that temporary hole.

It's not like Geelong are bursting at the seams with quality forwards either, so why delist him? If we play him once Walker is back Sando has lost the plot.
Imo I don't think the club sees him as a patch, you don't give guy a 2year contract for being a temporary patch, in
Was of course your graham and get a 3year contract.

That's really old though

Because Geelong had a shitload of guys over 30, and they believe Kersten can take up Pods' position now (who hasn't even played a game yet). I think Geelong will regret not keeping him on for one more season, he was still their best performed forward (besides Motlop) for 2013.

Btw, Kersten got smashed in the GF against Box Hill, and a lot of Geelong supporters have severe doubts over their forwardline next year.

Because Geelong had a shitload of guys over 30, and they believe Kersten can take up Pods' position now (who hasn't even played a game yet). I think Geelong will regret not keeping him on for one more season, he was still their best performed forward (besides Motlop) for 2013.

Btw, Kersten got smashed in the GF against Box Hill, and a lot of Geelong supporters have severe doubts over their forwardline next year.

Hey BACCS your wanted in another thread ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

James Podsiadly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back