James Sicily

Remove this Banner Ad

Selwood has been offered a week which he is challenging. Sicily hasn’t been offered anything.

Anyhow I repeat my earlier post, and the idea that a couple of lines from Ashley Browne is going to prejudice an experienced and independent Tribunal is completely ridiculous.

Let's agree to disagree.

No media outlet (let alone an AFL sanctioned one) should pre-declare both guilt and sentence.

Hawthorn and James Sicily should formally complain.

You will note that no respectable media outlet ever pre-declares guilt and sentence for any alleged crime.

Let's agree to disagree.

No media outlet (let alone an AFL sanctioned one) should pre-declare both guilt and sentence.

Hawthorn and James Sicily should formally complain.

You will note that no respectable media outlet ever pre-declares guilt and sentence for any alleged crime.

There are respectable media outlets in Australia??

While sic deserves a week or 2 for being an idiot there simply isn't a mechanism within the rules to suspend him.

There's been 3 similar incidents that all got fines and there's clear points system that also comes up with a fine.

It's probably to do with the fact that it's the second offence in 3 weeks.

I don't know if that's a rule though.

While sic deserves a week or 2 for being an idiot there simply isn't a mechanism within the rules to suspend him.

There's been 3 similar incidents that all got fines and there's clear points system that also comes up with a fine.
I posted this in another thread in regard to the mechanism that exists and just plain ignoring it.....

I've had a quick look at the AFL Reportable Offences, as I was wondering why Thomas got sent to the Tribunal, and in his case it is clear why. However, I am wondering why Sicily got sent to the Tribunal as it clearly states that stomping is a classifiable reportable offence. From the grading perspective it becomes Intentional Low & Body = $1,500. But then they invoke the following rule in the Direct Tribunal Offences

Any Classifiable or Fixed Financial Offence which attracts a base sanction that the MRP finds inappropriate

Either stomping gets treated the same as any other classifiable offence (a fine) or it is removed from that list. You can't have it both ways! What will be the outcry if the Tribunal agrees with the rulebook? Christian has effectively painted them into a corner.

Edit: Actually the AFL have invoked the following under the Direct Tribunal Offenses:

Any Other Act of Serious Misconduct which the MRP considers appropriate to refer to the Tribunal

They can't even invoke their own rules correctly!!!

Isn’t it possible that Christian considered it less serious than stomping (due to low force), and thus couldn’t classify it as such? So it goes to the Tribunal because it doesn’t fit into a pre-determined offence category.

Might end up with only a fine, but has to argue his case down from a match suspension scenario.

Isn’t it possible that Christian considered it less serious than stomping (due to low force), and thus couldn’t classify it as such? So it goes to the Tribunal because it doesn’t fit into a pre-determined offence category.

Might end up with only a fine, but has to argue his case down from a match suspension scenario.

Probably wishful thinking.

He could have used 'misconduct'.

However, it is going to the tribunal as 'serious misconduct'.

I guess that opens it up for the Hawks to argue that it is not 'serious misconduct'.

Like going to court to argue minor assault vs aggravated assault.

Sicily is going to the tribunal on the back of the deliberate nature of what he did. The result is far less important than the action when it comes to intentional, behind the play acts.

The standard classification for intentional stomping is likely there for incidents like intentionally stomping on an opponent’s foot (while both are standing), or carelessly stepping on an opponent lying on the ground (like it appears could easily be argued for that Enright footage).

Sicily’s act sits in this niche where he’s seemingly deliberately stepped on an opponent lying on the ground and it’s compounded by it being so far behind the play. It’s completely understandable to see why they felt using the standard classification might bring about an inappropriate result.

If the tribunal then decide to throw it out or only give him a fine, then I’ll understand.
If they give him weeks, then I’ll also understand.
This is an odd incident because most players aren’t this silly.

If they follow their own guidelines then I totally agree but... Hawthorn. Threepeat, unhappy, head****ed, bias, agenda, example of.. blah blah.
If he gets anything more than a fine we should appeal citing the three other cases mentioned here and their own guidelines. Probably won't happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still waiting at the tribunal.

I wonder if they are negotiating a common sense resolution?

E.g. Fine

Here's hoping.

Edit: Plead guilty to misconduct rather than serious misconduct.
AFL prosecutor recommends $5k fine with $5k suspended.
That and a firm slap over the back of the head from Clarko and each of his teammates would be fine.

Sicily pleads guilty, arguing for one week
James Sicily has plead guilty to the charge of serious misconduct. His advocate, Peter O'Farrell, will argue for a one-week suspension.
Should have started with the AFL's own regulations and went for a fine. You've just given them a base of a week, won't go down and can only go up.

Should have started with the AFL's own regulations and went for a fine. You've just given them a base of a week, won't go down and can only go up.

Terrible legal strategy employed. Especially with a medical report showing no harm done.

Edit: Looks like we took the bullet and mutually agreed on one week with the AFL.

Second Edit: They were probably worried about Sicily's priors. But still.

Terrible legal strategy employed. Especially with a medical report showing no harm done.

Edit: Looks like we took the bullet and mutually agreed on one week with the AFL.

Second Edit: They were probably worried about Sicily's priors. But still.

Amusing part is Gleeson QC pointing out that on the tape Sicily looks around to see where the umpires are before proceeding to step on Atley.

Did he think he was playing at Glenferrie Oval in 1975? As if the dozens of TV cameras wouldn’t have picked it up given Atley actually had the ball in his possession at the time. :rolleyes:

So galactically stupid.

He was never getting a fine for going to the tribunal, especially for his second offense against an opponent on the ground

Remove this Banner Ad

James Sicily

Remove this Banner Ad

Back