James Sicily

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't understand this.

Gleeson: It goes beyond a stomping act. It's more problematic than that, and that's why this is a serious misconduct charge.

Surely stomping is intentional and worse than stepping on someone.

This is less than stomping, so why is it more problematic?
Stomping would be looked at as angry or careless behaviour, either you trample someone without trying not to on your way through or you stomp on someone holding onto you etc

What Sicily did was look down think, I'm going to step on him (for no apparent reason) look around to see if anyone was watching, and when they weren't did it.

Premeditated, considered action that he intended to do

Best possible result in the circumstances.

Now watch Duckwood get off. :sick:

Looking forward to seeing Geelong succeed with the Chris Scott brother defence.

"If it was my brother, I would have killed Lindsay Thomas, so given Selwood only punched him, deserves to get off scott free".
:p

That was 100% negotiated during the day.

All Ash did was soften the blow for Hawks fans expecting a fine

He said suspension but not how long.

This is terrible, James Sicily misses a beautiful trip to Tassie.
Just when the weather is great and the place is so green and beautiful.

No trip to Boags Beer Museum, Pinot Noir or multiple beers at O’Keeffe’s Hotel for little James.

We’ll do it for you, James.

;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many times does it need to pointed out that Sicily has a record?

He will not be given any benefit of the doubt.

Zurhars has a clean record. Hence he gets a fine.
Yes he has a history, there is no doubt about it. He is a stupid peanut for deliberately stepping on Atley's leg.

I was pointing out though that Zuhaar's actions were deliberate, dangerous and illegal as it was a push in the back. Whether you have a history or not, this should not just be a misconduct offense considering the actual damage he could have done and his intent was just as real as Sicily's intent. The main difference is Sicily did it to piss Atley off, Zuhaar appeared to want to hurt Mirra.

How about the AFL look at incidents in isolation and then decide if any loading should be applied based on previous history. Normally I like your stuff, but I can't agree with you on this one.

This is terrible, James Sicily misses a beautiful trip to Tassie.
Just when the weather is great and the place is so green and beautiful.

No trip to Boags Beer Museum, Pinot Noir or multiple beers at O’Keeffe’s Hotel for little James.

We’ll do it for you, James.

;)

He will still go, only the green grass of Barnbougle golf course is where he will be.

How about the AFL look at incidents in isolation and then decide if any loading should be applied based on previous history. Normally I like your stuff, but I can't agree with you on this one.

Disagree.

Three weeks ago, Sicily was suspended for dropping a knee on a player who was lying on the ground.

Not last season, or a couple of seasons ago. It was IN THE SAME
MONTH.

He gets a week because he clearly hasn’t learned a single thing.

Only a fervent one-eyed optimist would be confident he will learn from this little holiday because he sure didn’t learn from the one HE ACCEPTED way back in the 4th of April.

It amazes me, NOT, that we're not seeing repeated replays of that cowardly action, which did have the potential to cause some serious damage. On the other hand, the video of a player jokingly, and stupidly, stepping on an opponents leg, which is a bad look for our game, gets played over and over, with calls for his head.

Am I to conclude, that the penalty for doing something that is a bad look for our game, is more serious than doing something that potentially could maim a player? The rules seem to indicate that.
I totally agree that the AFL are far more interested in the look of the game and its image, rather than the potential for injury.
Funny though it was a collective wtf when the charge of misconduct was leveled at him, why because at the time nobody knew what happened, the look of the game was fine and dandy until someone forensically went through the video.

Funny though it was a collective wtf when the charge of misconduct was leveled at him, why because at the time nobody knew what happened, the look of the game was fine and dandy until someone DID THE JOB HE IS PAID TO DO.

Edited for accuracy

1 week seems pretty fair for something the AFL had decided was serious misconduct. More would have been unfair given the negligible impact. Pretty sure the club had a pretty good idea which way the wind was blowing and the 1 week offer from them was all about damage control. Reckon the tribunal may well have gone 2 or even 3 if not for the guilty plea.

The week out sucks for the club, but deliberately stepping on a bloke behind play who is unable to defend himself , and having a sneaky peak to check if the umpire is watching was never going to play well.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

James Sicily

Remove this Banner Ad

Back