January 26

Should the celebration of January 26 cease?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the next federal election (to save on $$$) we should have a referendum at the same time to address these issues (our flag, move / abolish Australia Day, etc). I appreciate you’re never going to please everyone, but at least you can put the vote to the people and let them decide.

Drake boy will say whatever gets him in the papers. He was insufferable during covid.
His claim that 'as a retailer its my responsibility to let my customers choose' is pretty laughable given just a couple of years ago he was caught out underpaying low paid staff in their supermarkets and forced to pay millions of dollars in a back pay settlement.

Would have thought his first duty as the owner of a business with an annual turnover of $1Billion was to pay his employees award wages and not continually whinge about 'the dole' limiting his ability to get and retain staff.

Yep. And unlike Woolworths - Drake is the one issuing a press release trying to claim the moral high ground and draping himself in cringe-worthy faux patriotism for a cheap buck, ironically claiming he's not into culture wars while partnering with the Murdoch press to do just that:
GEZtBb-bcAA5D3f

Reading up on the guy he seems like a walking tabloid shock jock. Rails against vaccines, dole bludgers, ‘wokeness’….

Some have said the day should be changed. No one has said that the right to ‘celebrate’ Australia, whatever that means, should be removed and the ‘celebrating’ should be criminalised.

I can understand that particular viewpoint - that they should not be 'shamed' for waving the flag on January 26th. No one should ever be shamed for being a proud Australian as long as they aren't using it as a weapon.

There is a big difference though in showing your pride in your country (even if I think it's bizarre) by attending Australia Day events with green and gold facepaint and a flag bikini, than saying we should tell those woke leftists to stfu and celebrate our colonisation because Britain is awesome, okay, and deal with it snowflake cuck.

The discussion is a lot more nuanced than boycotting Woolworths or accusing those who enjoy Australia Day of being racist.

At the next federal election (to save on $$$) we should have a referendum at the same time to address these issues (our flag, move / abolish Australia Day, etc). I appreciate you’re never going to please everyone, but at least you can put the vote to the people and let them decide.

I’m tipping there won’t be a referendum for quite a while. Have been co opted as just another political wedge tool

Where are we headed? We have a head of state who wouldn’t qualify as an aus citizen

1. They are barely 'issues'
2. It would be just flushing money down the toilet

I’m tipping there won’t be a referendum for quite a while. Have been co opted as just another political wedge tool

Where are we headed? We have a head of state who wouldn’t qualify as an aus citizen
And absolutely no one knows any different nor would it change their lives one iota if it changed. The single biggest non issue people have argued over in the last 40 years. There's almost nothing you could think of that would change Australian lives less

No it was more that you get connected to people here who've lived here for longer than your ancestors. I said if you did that you'd find those people welcomed you as soon as they got to really know you. And you'd probably learn more about the place you live in ... if you value it why wouldn't you want to do that?
I really don’t seek their welcome. Why would I?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look, if you're going to boycott Woolies for anything its that they rob the farmers and gouge the prices in the stores by 1000%.

Then again, I find it interesting, and somewhat ironic, to see people defending such a giant as Woolies, forgetting their heinous mistreatment of farmers and consumers. Also workers getting abused by managers. Its moralistic point-scoring.

Then again, I find it interesting, and somewhat ironic, to see people defending such a giant as Woolies, forgetting their heinous mistreatment of farmers and consumers. Also workers getting abused by managers. Its moralistic point-scoring.

I'd never defend Woolies. But Coles (or Drakes or whomever) is hardly in a position to take the moral high ground just because they stock green and gold zinc cream for a couple of weeks.

They're mostly as bad as each other and now 26 Jan is being used by retailers as a marketing tool. It's abhorrent.

I'd never defend Woolies. But Coles (or Drakes or whomever) is hardly in a position to take the moral high ground just because they stock green and gold zinc cream for a couple of weeks.

They're mostly as bad as each other and now 26 Jan is being used by retailers as a marketing tool. It's abhorrent.

The triggered should reflect how easily they are used.

Errr, what?

As far as I can see it is only the bogan flag wavers crying because they can’t get their once a year cheap tat from Woolworths.
The amount of people you're imagining are upset/care far outweigh the amount that actually do.

You've fallen hook, line, and sinker for the culture war. 'both sides' is absolutely accurate

The amount of people you're imagining are upset/care far outweigh the amount that actually do.

You've fallen hook, line, and sinker for the culture war. 'both sides' is absolutely accurate

Not at all.

I DGAF either way.

But the moment WW decided not to range this garbage the circle jerk that is Sky and Newscorp were all over it like a rash. And now you have Deadshit Drake being given airtime…but it’s “both sides” apparently.

Season 9 Ok GIF by The Office

Not at all.

I DGAF either way.

But the moment WW decided not to range this garbage the circle jerk that is Sky and Newscorp were all over it like a rash. And now you have Deadshit Drake being given airtime…but it’s “both sides” apparently.

Season 9 Ok GIF by The Office
I'm talking about the people. How many people have you seen actually care? Significantly less than you imagine. It's PR

These sites/networks are trying to anger you, it's clearly working. 'both sides' remains accurate or this wouldn't be taking up rent in your head

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back