Jared Petrenko

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watching On the Couch too, Pets got a great wrap up from the boys. In fact the Crows as a whole had a few minutes devoted to us - very unusual. All very complementary.

Tends to happen when you smash the reigning premiers by near on 10 goals ;)

I just keep hoping every day that this (form) is not just the spike and we are suddenly going to turn to poo again soon

Contrast that with Tippett... Tippett might not have had the greatest stats, but nobody has ever criticised his work rate.

Pretty sure last year there was a bunch of us that said he needed to get on his bike more and lead.

Then again we also argued that it could've been a team directive for him to stand still whilst we bombed it on his head

Pretty sure last year there was a bunch of us that said he needed to get on his bike more and lead.

Then again we also argued that it could've been a team directive for him to stand still whilst we bombed it on his head

I was definitely in this boat.

What amuses me is people who criticise Pentrenko's workrate and call him lazy. Who would make such silly claims?

I must admit, Petrenko's last 3 games have definitely given me pause for thought. His performances in these games have been very, very good. Sure, there's been the odd brain fart (checkside kicks from the right foot when he should be kicking with the left, intercepting passes intended for a teammate running towards goal), but on the whole his performances have been very, very positive.

It seems to me that Petrenko has been one of the players to have benefited most from Craig's departure and Sando's appointment.

My opinion of Petrenko was formed on the basis of his performances under Craig - his first 30 games. Of those 30 games, he had 1 good performance and 29 in which his performances were sub-AFL standard unadulterated crap. He showed almost nothing to indicate that he was anything other than a good SANFL footballer, he showed no indications of being anything other than a liability at AFL level. Under Craig's tutelage, Petrenko was going nowhere fast.

Then Sando took over and Petrenko was transformed...

The Petrenko we see today is a pitbull, whose attack on the ball puts the fear of God into his opponents. He's playing mainly as a defensive forward, charged with limiting the impact of the opposition's most dangerous defender. He has excelled in that role and with 9 goals to date he's on track for a handy 25-30 goal contribution, an able assistant to the likes of Tex who is on track for a 60-goal season.

Am I a convert, ready to say "I was wrong"? Not just yet. I can, however, see the positives in his game and he's probably only 1 or 2 good games away from converting me. I will say though that it has been a pleasure watching him transform from useless ugly duckling to fiercely attacking Crow in the last couple of months.

I always got the impression that Craig was very clear with players in the SANFL at what they needed to be doing, but never had a sense if the same was true at AFL level.

The fact that Petrenko seemed to bounce around from one position to another would indicate that, probably not.

Probably the issue was more that Craig failed to identify for Petrenko the role that he is playing now. It seems to have been a common failing in retrospect - the ability to find the role that maximises the strengths of a player while hiding their weaknesses.

Quality post Vader. Looking forward to the I was wrong.

The curious thing is the other player who has arguably benefitted the most under Sando is Reilly. More than happy to put my hand up and say i was wrong in understanding how well he could play for us. Always had potential to be a great user, but I had no idea his overhead ability was so good. Makes a HBF an ideal spot for him - and he is dominating back there. Well done Reilly - I was wrong, you are a very important part of our team.

I must admit, Petrenko's last 3 games have definitely given me pause for thought. His performances in these games have been very, very good. Sure, there's been the odd brain fart (checkside kicks from the right foot when he should be kicking with the left, intercepting passes intended for a teammate running towards goal), but on the whole his performances have been very, very positive.

It seems to me that Petrenko has been one of the players to have benefited most from Craig's departure and Sando's appointment.

My opinion of Petrenko was formed on the basis of his performances under Craig - his first 30 games. Of those 30 games, he had 1 good performance and 29 in which his performances were sub-AFL standard unadulterated crap. He showed almost nothing to indicate that he was anything other than a good SANFL footballer, he showed no indications of being anything other than a liability at AFL level. Under Craig's tutelage, Petrenko was going nowhere fast.

Then Sando took over and Petrenko was transformed...

The Petrenko we see today is a pitbull, whose attack on the ball puts the fear of God into his opponents. He's playing mainly as a defensive forward, charged with limiting the impact of the opposition's most dangerous defender. He has excelled in that role and with 9 goals to date he's on track for a handy 25-30 goal contribution, an able assistant to the likes of Tex who is on track for a 60-goal season.

Am I a convert, ready to say "I was wrong"? Not just yet. I can, however, see the positives in his game and he's probably only 1 or 2 good games away from converting me. I will say though that it has been a pleasure watching him transform from useless ugly duckling to fiercely attacking Crow in the last couple of months.

That's the thing. Not many people were saying he was playing brilliant games but nearly everyone could see something that you couldn't.

Also, not sure if you were indicating otherwise, but he always had that attack on the ball and man even under craig. That and his speed and agility were the two main reasons I thought he could make a decent footballer

Vader, sorry but thats just crap. 1 good game in 30 and the rest were crap? Fair dinkum, is that your way of backing up your stubborn view of him by making things up?

Petrenko played more than 1 good game last year. He averaged 15.2 possessions last year, despite starting at least 2 games as sub and spending a fair whack on the bench and a lot as a small forward. Reilly averaged 19.9 despite starting every game and playing the majority of most games.

Cmon Fonzie, you can say it. " I was W-R-O-N-G"

Vader, sorry but thats just crap. 1 good game in 30 and the rest were crap?

Yeah,made me sit up and take note too. 1 good game in 30 and the rest sub-AFL standard? No player of such poor quality would get a game, let alone stay on the list.
I had always assumed his presence on our 2012 list was (like Symes) largely due to the lack of viable alternatives in the 2011 draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so you assumed wrong
Not sure whether my assumption was right or wrong, though I think he was given a new contract late last year - so the assumption is probably wrong. Either way, his outstanding performances under Sando have made it a moot point.

That's the thing. Not many people were saying he was playing brilliant games but nearly everyone could see something that you couldn't.

Also, not sure if you were indicating otherwise, but he always had that attack on the ball and man even under craig. That and his speed and agility were the two main reasons I thought he could make a decent footballer

Actually, I see a lot of his improvement this year as coming from a change in approach. As his confidence has built i think he's more focused on the ball now than the man. Watch a lot of his early games and his chase/tackling stands out more than anything else. A lot of times that was him being led to the ball. Once he played those couple of games through the midfield and started to get a bit of it himself he looked a different player - and that has continued this season.

As was discussed on this thread earlier we would wait for the mid-season break to continue the merit of Pets - some were yet to be convinced despite some encouraging early season form...

By the numbers (average per match)
11.3 disposals
3.7 tackles
1.2 goals
1.2 goal assists

These numbers would have been higher had he not been subbed after being concussed in the opening seconds of the GWS clash (essentially missing an entire game)

He ranks fifth at the club for tackles, fourth for goals and he leads the way for goal assists (in fact only three players have more GAs in the league).

I say the numbers speak for themselves and I'm stoked with the player he has developed into. But haters may still want to hate - so if you can muster together an argument to suggest he's anything other than a big contributor to the side and a lock for starting 18 then I'd love to hear it.

Also, if you want to admit you may have made a mistake this is your forum to do so :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Jared Petrenko

Remove this Banner Ad

Back