Jared Petrenko

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't care if he only gets 3 touches a game.... so long as it is splitting through packs and mentally challenging any opposition player going for the same ball.... these touches are equivalent to 20 touches with the effect/affect it has on teammates and supporters at the ground.

I was in the group of doubters of Pets... but his attack on the ball has been out and out outstanding and a team lifter.

As ticktack said, that smother and second effort set the final onslaught up.

Petrenko is playing stunning, inspirational footy and I admit that I thought that he was lucky to still be on the list. He showed little flashes of what could be, but just didn't deliver enough.

I suspect that two things have changed for him and some of the other younger players too. The altered pre-season emphasis on weights and strength gives players confidence in their ability to break packs and do tough stuff. The 2012 Pit bull is visibly more muscular than previously. The second difference, I suspect, is the different game plan, which seems to give players license to be creative and use their own strengths, within the context of the more flexible game plan.

Last night, Petrenko was awesome and his breaking the pack and soccering the ball forwards, although sideways and out of bounds in the 4th quarter was the turning point. Sloane sensed that someone else was with him and away they went.

I don't care if he only gets 3 touches a game.... so long as it is splitting through packs and mentally challenging any opposition player going for the same ball.... these touches are equivalent to 20 touches with the effect/affect it has on teammates and supporters at the ground.
Those kinds of possessions are HUGE, because they sow doubt, and bring other teammates into it, who follow on and do similar.

I think the time has finally come to admit that I WAS WRONG.

Maybe my opinions of him were biased by the fact that Craig clearly wasn't able to get the best out of him.. Maybe he just played like complete crap for most of his first 30 games. Either way, those days are well and truly behind him.

Petrenko is always going to have issues with his disposal and decision making, such as that awful attempt at centring the ball in the first quarter yesterday. However, those blemishes are more than compensated for by the positives that he brings to the team.

I love his hardness at the ball, which at times verges on the suicidal. Only Dangerfield is tougher. I love the way he negates his opponent, only to hurt them on the scoreboard when given the opportunity.

My estimation of him has risen significantly as he's played one good game after another this year. I now have him well established in our best-22, ahead of senior players like Vince and (on recent form) Johncock. He's miles ahead of Smith, Wright, Henderson, Lynch, McKernan & Jenkins. He's definitely established himself and it's hard to see anyone dislodging him in the foreseeable future.

Maybe my opinions of him were biased by the fact that Craig clearly wasn't able to get the best out of him.. Maybe he just played like complete crap for most of his first 30 games. Either way, those days are well and truly behind him.

Petrenko is always going to have issues with his disposal and decision making, such as that awful attempt at centring the ball in the first quarter yesterday. However, those blemishes are more than compensated for by the positives that he brings to the team.

I love his hardness at the ball, which at times verges on the suicidal. Only Dangerfield is tougher. I love the way he negates his opponent, only to hurt them on the scoreboard when given the opportunity.

My estimation of him has risen significantly as he's played one good game after another this year. I now have him well established in our best-22, ahead of senior players like Vince and (on recent form) Johncock. He's miles ahead of Smith, Wright, Henderson, Lynch, McKernan & Jenkins. He's definitely established himself and it's hard to see anyone dislodging him in the foreseeable future.

It must be the 1st of April! :eek::)

Well done Vader, it nice being magnanimous.;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't say he's miles in front of Wright, but agree with everything else you've said.

Yeah that's also the only thing I'd disagree with in that statement. I like Wright as our small forward/midfielder and Callinan as stay at home opportunist, with Petrenko defensive forward/midfielder. I'd probably have Petrenko and Wright on equal standing in our team.

beer-me.gif

Hats off to you Vader. Classy end to an interesting thread.

As with a few others... your views on Mattie Wright engender in me a response along the lines of...

'I find your lack of faith disturbing...'

Pets has been a human cannonball the last few weeks. Playing a fantastic role for the side. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see the club have him leading the best team man award...

Nice words Vader but he wasn't crap in his first 30 games, he was a young player finding his way who played some good games, some okay games and some poor games. You are still not giving him the credit he deserved.

Must be tough being that wrong, that often :D
To the same point in there careers I rate Wright as having been better than Petrenko (Pets has played 20 more games), but right now I think Pets is well ahead of Wright in the pecking order.

Nowhere have I said anything bad about Wright, other than that I expect him to be one of the first overtaken by the next batch of draftees (particularly Crouch). Wright is certainly holding his own for now though and I'm a million miles away from calling for him to be dropped in favour of some pimply faced kid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jared Petrenko

Remove this Banner Ad

Back