Jared Polec

Remove this Banner Ad

His work in traffic is ridiculous. Some of those quick hand passes while being tackled are something else.
Yes, you see them about to / are grabbing him and start to think 'turnover' and before you can finish the thought he's got it away. Given he's had only the one pre-season (and that interrupted at the start) with Burgess he's another that would have the smart punters looking around to see if you could put money on us for the 2015 and 2016 flags yet.

J-Poles first clear cut 3 vote game is the only reason I'll watch that game again during the week, 30d & 3 goals.

Can anyone remember a young recruit having this big an impact for the club in such a short period of time?

I had numerous debates on TPFP as to whether he was potential blue chip well I don't think there's any doubt the kids a star, to think he's still only 21 & will spend the next 10 years at our club.

As I wrote in the general thread it was an elite day out where he made almost every other player look ordinary in poor conditions, which is funny because I wasn't sure he'd be one to cope with the conditions as well as he did.

Might have to start calling him the Outsider. I have never seen anyone use the outside of their boot so well to pass the ball under pressure. He does it every game and sometimes 3 or 4 times a game under heavy pressure.

I wonder if Dunstall will have a problem with his dribble kick goal :p

That 3rd goal was an elite midfielders goal from a centre bounce, from what I saw of him pre-draft for WWT I've got a feeling we'll see plenty more just like it over the next few years.
Aaron, being the team player he is, demonstrated to the whole group last week the flaw in Dunstall's non-set shot goal kicking philosophy.

Looking really, really good. I can see why Hinkley was mentioning in the preseason that his inside work was what had impressed on the track. Clean, not soft, good vision, but given some time and space, the gravy flows.

haha

Edit: seems twitter embedding isnt working
rFiLQ93.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been reading the Brisbane board to gauge reaction to Polec's form. A lot of them are saying he has no defensive side which I find hard to believe. I've watched all his games and so far he runs both ways. Plus I don't think Hinkley would condone anyone who didn't have a defensive side.

haha

Edit: seems twitter embedding isnt working
rFiLQ93.png

Jared's response to the above was something like I hate that particular photo and laughed about it, but I liked Tom Logan's response to this which was something like " I bet you Jaws doesn't get 3 Brownlow votes #30&3". Tight bunch of boys we have.

Been reading the Brisbane board to gauge reaction to Polec's form. A lot of them are saying he has no defensive side which I find hard to believe. I've watched all his games and so far he runs both ways. Plus I don't think Hinkley would condone anyone who didn't have a defensive side.

Admittedly I have noticed him not chasing as hard as he could be a few times. There was one moment I remember early in the first quarter on the wing yesterday when Matt White was forced to chase Polec's man because Polec didn't go with him. I suppose that if you were a Lions supporter and you were desperate to make yourself feel better, you'd latch onto those slight concerns for all they're worth :D

'No defensive side' is the go-to argument for people who want to argue that a player is a spud (whose offensive numbers are water tight). Almost impossible to prove either way given the way games are directed on TV. The argument that can't be rebutted, which is exactly the intent of the arguer.

It is no surprise this argument would be put forward when Polec is noticeably tearing up games with the ball in hand.

'No defensive side' is the go-to argument for people who want to argue that a player is a spud (whose offensive numbers are water tight). Almost impossible to prove either way given the way games are directed on TV. The argument that can't be rebutted, which is exactly the intent of the arguer.

It is no surprise this argument would be put forward when Polec is noticeably tearing up games with the ball in hand.

He does enough doesn't he. He wasn't brought in to be Levi Greenwood or Matt Thomas.

The other furphy is that he's allergic to the contest. Tell that to Carlton in Q4 of Round 1, when he won hard ball after hard ball in the heat of the centre square.

The Carlton game is the ultimate proof that people talk without having watched his games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jared Polec

Remove this Banner Ad

Back