Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls

Remove this Banner Ad

Lenny* said:
Oakley-Nicholls is faster than Deledio and Tambling :eek:
Also read that he loves to carry the ball.

I think I can see what Wallace is doing, Deledio, Tambling and JON all super-quick, super-sillky skilled ball carriers running through the midfeild.
add Danny Meyer to that list, not as quik, but not slow either. He is just as skilled if not more skilled as JON and Tambo

Weaver said:
I think a high quality KF like Hall or Tredrea is like gold. I think 2nd tier guys like Kingsley or McDougall may as well not take the field. I don't think so much about key forwards vs mobile forwards.

couldn't agree more.

getting a player like brown-tredrea-hall, just about guarentees u a finals berth and from there with a good injury run, anything is possible.

injurys play so much of role now with the competetion so even.

Weaver said:
Welcome to the dark side Luke :)
lol.

I actually see his game-plan working out okay.

The group that Wallace drafted to the bulldogs during his time, were a very VERY light group. Our group at the Tigers is much different and IMO far better skilled group.

But time will tell and hopefully prove Terry Wallace right.

Lenny* said:
With Andrew Swallow rated higher by alot more poeple than Casserly was... why did we choose Travis Casserly when Swallow was still availble?? Both WA boys aswell.

The main difference between the two is that Casserley is a beautiful long kick and regularly hits his targets (took the kickouts for the Seniors and got 60 metres very easily). Where as Swallow is not the best kick going around and lacks consistency in hitting his targets. The scope with Casserley in terms of his body and growth is a lot larger than Swallow as well. Both have similar pace and both like to carry the ball.

Ragingbull said:
The main difference between the two is that Casserley is a beautiful long kick and regularly hits his targets (took the kickouts for the Seniors and got 60 metres very easily). Where as Swallow is not the best kick going around and lacks consistency in hitting his targets. The scope with Casserley in terms of his body and growth is a lot larger than Swallow as well. Both have similar pace and both like to carry the ball.
So is Casserly a pure midfielder? And who was faster over 20m Sprint at draft camp?

Lenny* said:
So is Casserly a pure midfielder? And who was faster over 20m Sprint at draft camp?

Swallow higher in 20m sprint (4th) and agility (5th) - not sure where Casserley placed in these. not top 10.

Casserly higher in shuttle run (2nd) and 3km time trial (7th) - not sure where Swallow placed in these, not top 10.

The only simirarity between Casserly and Swallow is that they West Australian.

Swallow is inside and outside is barely 6 foot, and can't kick.

Casserly is 6 foot 2, and is a magnificent kick on both sides of his body. The only reason why Casserly didn't go in the first round is his percieved..well ... how can I put this...dislike for body contact.

Richmond believe that his not inherently soft and he can improve on this. The rest of his game is first class!:cool:

Both players are super quick. Casserly's beep test was 15.2

cypher said:
Is Oakley-Nicholls a better talent than the best tall defender who was available?

It doesn't appear that the Tigers and Pies have addressed the needs of their backline with their KPP in the age bracket of 27-30 years.With Deledio, Tambling and Meyer drafted last year it's a mystery why they picked another two.

It all depends how you look at it, look at the Swans backline, you don't necessarily need 3 blokes that are 6'4 there. We are looking at being a strong rebounding side, when Gaspar and Kellaway are gone we'll still have Schulz and Hall as tall defenders, with Bowden also able to play on talls, and a bunch of rebounding medium and small defenders. It's all about the style of play the team is trying to play.

cypher said:
Is Oakley-Nicholls a better talent than the best tall defender who was available?

According to the WC bloke whos posts in the Richmond board (Embers? Coasting? whos seen him he is the "most talented" player in the draft. Fingers crossed he has abit of skill.

It doesn't appear that the Tigers and Pies have addressed the needs of their backline with their KPP in the age bracket of 27-30 years.With Deledio, Tambling and Meyer drafted last year it's a mystery why they picked another two

Hall had a very solid 2005 and at CHB in the Lewis Robert Thompson/Staker/Bishop role. Not outstanding by any means but does the business

Over the next say 3 odd years we are going to lose our full back & 3rd tall

Out

- Gaspar
- Kellaway

You'd hope 1, maybe 2 of the following come good.

In

- McGuane
- Thursfield
- Moore

Schulz is the great white hope. Limbach & Hughes may be suited to the forward line but are also decent KPP prospects.

Look, overall I wanted a KPP @ 8. Mind you I would have been more than happy with Hughes at 8. To get him at 24 makes me pretty happy with the way things turned out. To get a couple more promsing 'Wallace types' is a bonus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jezza said:
It all depends how you look at it, look at the Swans backline, you don't necessarily need 3 blokes that are 6'4 there. We are looking at being a strong rebounding side, when Gaspar and Kellaway are gone we'll still have Schulz and Hall as tall defenders, with Bowden also able to play on talls, and a bunch of rebounding medium and small defenders. It's all about the style of play the team is trying to play.
Just an observation and I wouldn't put my house on the names you mentioned as the backline to take you into the finals.

Swans don't have many talls but Barry, Roberts-Thomson and O'Keefe are a premiership backline and all good overhead.

I see Bower, Thornton, Saddington (still only 26) and a gun tall from next year's crop helping to take Carlton forward.

cypher said:
Just an observation and I wouldn't put my house on the names you mentioned as the backline to take you into the finals.

Swans don't have many talls but Barry, Roberts-Thomson and O'Keefe are a premiership backline and all good overhead.

I see Bower, Thornton, Saddington (still only 26) and a gun tall from next year's crop helping to take Carlton forward.

Barry is very short, close the shortest KPP in the league. Roberts-Thomson is their only true defender in the back 6. O'Keefe is as half forward flank as they come.

The Sydney back 6 is awsome. However, its really 1 bloke which does the defending in LRT and 5 bloke which run hard, fast and all day.

Exacly what Richmond seem to be emulating.

Think you might be overrated your lads, underrated other sides just a tad.

cypher said:

And you think they will take you into the finals

White Czar said:
O'Keefe is as half forward flank as they come
Meant Bolton.:eek:

I may have over-rated my players but that's what we do at this time of the year.I don't think Hall's best is any better than Saddington who was considered close to AA a few years back.

Thornton is certainly a good tall defender who has been hit from pillar to post this year with injury.Did his knee in the Wizard Cup final and is certainly better than Thursfield and Moore IMHO.

I think it's been pretty clearly shown that Sydney have a very small backline and are still able to cope with sides with big key forwards. They rely on hardrunning to help out teammates and clear the ball out of defence. I see TW building the Richmond defence in a very similar manner. Whose to say Newman, Hartigan and Thursfield can't do the same job in a year or two that Bolton, Kennelly and Barry have done for the Swans?

keep in mind that the fast midfield strategy which wallace is developing has more than one use.

Sure it can help beat a flood, keep control of the ball, and score more goals, but you can also use a fast light team to play 'shutdown' football if required, since you can always keep up with and run down the opposition.

Coaches these days don't play a one strategy team. The adapt to suit the opposition. If the Tiges aren't good enough to match a certain team they will use their pace to tag rather than score.

good read.

why do the footy gods always use their powers to cripple richmond?
ahhh, were use to it by now. hopefully someone picks him up and he can star for them. if he improves his decision making he would be handy in the firward pocket, has got a very good set of hands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls

Remove this Banner Ad

Back