Toast Jarryd Lyons

Remove this Banner Ad

Initially we were told by some learned posters that Jarryd was one of those players who was outstanding in the SANFL but would never make it in the AFL.

Last year Jarryd produced an excellent output in his limited minutes as a sub. We were by some posters told that he wasn't fit enough to play a full game.

This year Jarryd has produced excellent numbers as a hybrid forward/inside mid. We were told he is not fit enough to play full time as a mid.

IMHO we need to bite the bullet and use Jarryd as a full time inside mid next year. If we are not willing to do this (with Fyfe / Rockliffe/ Neale / insert random names... joining us next year :rolleyes:) then we should trade him and allow him to get on with his career. Our three best inside mids for next year are Sloane, M Crouch and B Crouch. If Thommo hangs up the boots, the next in line after Jarryd are CEY and Wigg (although Harry can also play as an outside mid).

I can understand why we may let him go elsewhere and if he does I really hope he bites us on the arse. He has been very, very patient and has not been treated well over the journey.

Initially we were told by some learned posters that Jarryd was one of those players who was outstanding in the SANFL but would never make it in the AFL.

Last year Jarryd produced an excellent output in his limited minutes as a sub. We were by some posters told that he wasn't fit enough to play a full game.

This year Jarryd has produced excellent numbers as a hybrid forward/inside mid. We were told he is not fit enough to play full time as a mid.

IMHO we need to bite the bullet and use Jarryd as a full time inside mid next year. If we are not willing to do this (with Fyfe / Rockliffe/ Neale / insert random names... joining us next year :rolleyes:) then we should trade him and allow him to get on with his career. Our three best inside mids for next year are Sloane, M Crouch and B Crouch. If Thommo hangs up the boots, the next in line after Jarryd are CEY and Wigg (although Harry can also play as an outside mid).

I can understand why we may let him go elsewhere and if he does I really hope he bites us on the arse. He has been very, very patient and has not been treated well over the journey.
You actually hope a player plays well against us to spite us ?? Must love what Danger and Gunston are doing.

Bit of a difference, we wanted those two.

I can't speak for Jack but I can say I'm happy when Vince plays well against us.
Really ?? I would say I'm happy he plays well against everyone bar us. Even moreso a guy like Wrighty who got smashed on here.

If JL leaves, and IMO he wont, I wont begrudge him a good career but I hardly want him to play well just because we made a decision.

You actually hope a player plays well against us to spite us ?? Must love what Danger and Gunston are doing.
I didn't say against us but I would be happy to see him show that he is a more than handy inside mid for another team (except Poort).

I have always liked his attitude and he continues to prove people wrong. He was awarded coaches votes against Poort (or was it Freo?) yet some posters still think he is in the mix to miss out this week. If he had been offered the same opportunities as a range of our mid range players he would have played more than 100 games already.

If we lose Jarryd because we have a top-shelf midfielder coming in, then so be it. Hell, for all we know, maybe Jarryd himself is keeping that opportunity open because he has spent years sitting on the sidelines going "if only it wasn't for that damn Thompson/Danger/Douglas!" waiting for a spot to open up, and doesn't feel like doing it again if we are about to trade in a replacement for him.

On the other hand, if we lose him without bringing anyone in to replace him, it's a very poor result. We've held him on the list for six years and he is now producing quality football, need to take advantage of it.

Really ?? I would say I'm happy he plays well against everyone bar us. Even moreso a guy like Wrighty who got smashed on here.

If JL leaves, and IMO he wont, I wont begrudge him a good career but I hardly want him to play well just because we made a decision.

Oh I still want to win, don't get me wrong. But I don't deny I felt a bit of joy seeing the job Vince did on Dangerfield.

Fairly sure Jack is Back is only wishing him well as he has done everything to stay as a Crow and continually pushed with good performances, etc. only to be dropped for an injured Thommo or an underdone Brouch or the sub vest and he has been excellent this year, even previous to this year has shown to be a good player only to be screwed around.

I am annoyed Gunston left but I was equally annoyed at how we treated him as well, the kid was talent. But the manner he left wasn't good enough and I hope he plays terribly against us each time.

Dangerfield we did everything we could to play him and get him to stay, he can bugger off. Don't have animosity towards him but hope he plays like feces against us!

Lyons has done everything to be in the team and been better and more consistent than a lot of our mids but still we are treating him like a tit. :) If he goes as we don't offer him a fair deal, then I hope he plays well against us each time (still hope we win).

Lyons hits forwards on the chest, name one other inside mid that does that for our team? He gets forward and kicks goals. He hits the ball on the move and his tackling has been fantastic all year. We unfortunately need to move Thommo on and bring in someone like a Milera or if he improves again Greenwood to step up for that inside/outside role.

Assuming no trades in, what would be a better center combo for us next year?

Four blokes don't make a midfield but assuming no trades in then I'd have Lyons in the 5 or 6 of the 22 who play midfield. Wigg and Knight have higher ceilings but Lyons has performed his role well.

What we're not factoring in is why Lyons has been floated as trade bait. They know he's not a bad player. They're trying to upgrade a pick I think. I get the feeling we are going hard for Rockliff and the Lyons noise is part of it.

If we lost Lyons and CEY in order to upgrade/package picks in order to land someone like Rockliff I would do it immediately. Good clubs know what they want and they go and get it.

I doubt we have offered Lyons a pittance for no good reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah because that is completely the same scenario. Christ, Dangerfield leaving says nothing about us as a club, and all about how he wanted to go home and play for Geelong and no one else. If he had gone to Collingwood or the Hawks I'd grant you have a point, but saying "Danger left" is a pretty nothing argument when it comes to saying we can't keep our players.

Name a player whom the club wanted to keep and who wanted to stay, but who ended up leaving aside from those who took massive $$$ from GC or GWS that are no longer on offer.
Eddie Betts

Four blokes don't make a midfield but assuming no trades in then I'd have Lyons in the 5 or 6 of the 22 who play midfield. Wigg and Knight have higher ceilings but Lyons has performed his role well.

What we're not factoring in is why Lyons has been floated as trade bait. They know he's not a bad player. They're trying to upgrade a pick I think. I get the feeling we are going hard for Rockliff and the Lyons noise is part of it.

If we lost Lyons and CEY in order to upgrade/package picks in order to land someone like Rockliff I would do it immediately. Good clubs know what they want and they go and get it.

I doubt we have offered Lyons a pittance for no good reason.

Sorry, when was Lyons floated as trade bait? That hasn't been reported, last I heard he was offerred a contract. So you don't think our footy dept guys would sit him down and be honest with him? You don't think a lot of them do you?

Sorry, when was Lyons floated as trade bait? That hasn't been reported, last I heard he was offerred a contract. So you don't think our footy dept guys would sit him down and be honest with him? You don't think a lot of them do you?

Offering him a low end contract is a subtle way of saying he's on the table.

Offering him a low end contract is a subtle way of saying he's on the table.

Geez it's hard to keep up. There's posters everywhere saying its a normal opening offer and then there's those saying it's the club's way of saying we're going to trade you. Even being subtle is a bad way to go, we should have been open and upfront and brought him with us. Low balling with that intention is incredibly piss weak and increases the risk of him choosing a single club and minimising our return.

Geez it's hard to keep up. There's posters everywhere saying its a normal opening offer and then there's those saying it's the club's way of saying we're going to trade you. Even being subtle is a bad way to go, we should have been open and upfront and brought him with us. Low balling with that intention is incredibly piss weak and increases the risk of him choosing a single club and minimising our return.

Maybe. I reckon we're playing hardball all round. Finally. List management isn't supposed to be all high fives and warm fuzzies as it was at our club for about 20 years. Good clubs have a vision and then select players accordingly, not the other way round.

Maybe. I reckon we're playing hardball all round. Finally. List management isn't supposed to be all high fives and warm fuzzies as it was at our club for about 20 years. Good clubs have a vision and then select players accordingly, not the other way round.

Maybe what? Hardball and manning up aren't mutually exclusive. You seem to be having a bit each way now. Hardball on the low offer, we're after bang for buck, we're tough negotiators. But it's also a way of having him turn down our offer and force him out, so we can go to the draft with our newly acquired 3rd rounder. If it's the former and the reports are correct, we're overreaching and instead of getting for unders, we cash him in for unders. If it's the latter, we've got no hope of bringing him with us to add with our first to ultimately retrieve full value.

I get what you're saying, no more Reilly, VB, Dmac, Dougie extensions that end up biting us, but a $10k uplift for Lyons output and where he sits now is well below reasonable and counterproductive to any of your potential intentions.

Maybe what? Hardball and manning up aren't mutually exclusive. You seem to be having a bit each way now. Hardball on the low offer, we're after bang for buck, we're tough negotiators. But it's also a way of having him turn down our offer and force him out, so we can go to the draft with our newly acquired 3rd rounder. If it's the former and the reports are correct, we're overreaching and instead of getting for unders, we cash him in for unders. If it's the latter, we've got no hope of bringing him with us to add with our first to ultimately retrieve full value.

I get what you're saying, no more Reilly, VB, Dmac, Dougie extensions that end up biting us, but a $10k uplift for Lyons output and where he sits now is well below reasonable and counterproductive to any of your potential intentions.

What I'd actually say is "We don't know any facts and should perhaps wait until the season finishes".

I take your point though.

Kicking to our forwardline probably. But its inside dominant and lacks the real breakaway pace.

I don't that will be too much of an issue if we can rotate other guys with pace through there. Have those 4 as our main ball hunters, and then let Atkins, Cameron, Knight, Wigg, Menzel etc. pinch hit on inside. It improves the break away pace and flexibility. I think our most common centre mix was the most used mix of any club this season, we need spread the load out more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Jarryd Lyons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back