Toast Jarryd Lyons

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, but it's the kinda post that makes us all smile and think, **** yeah we've got a badass in the team, so it's alright by me

Also, the dude's username is bad man boxing and he joined in June 15 - if he joined today, i'd think rubbish, but I'm going with "true story"
Wanna buy some magic beans?

Wanna buy some magic beans?

Last time I read a story with magic beans, they really were magic and a beanstalk grew out of the ground to the land of the giants.

I'm in.

If Lyons is to leave, now is the time. There is a good chance next year he will end up the same as he was past year, and then his value to a new team drops.
If he cannot see he is 100% best 22, and ahead of Menzel, Knights etc next year for sure, then he should take a trade now.

What I'd actually say is "We don't know any facts and should perhaps wait until the season finishes".

I take your point though.

I prefer to play the ball on it's merits, rather than wait till the end of the game to worry about whether it was important in the first place. Much better way to fill up the board. Then let the I told you so's reign.

Plus, I trust TMS inside info, I'm not sure he's ever gotten it wrong.

Value at an all time high. Salary cap money we could spend elsewhere.
We have Knight, Hampton, Menzel, Wigg, Gore, Beech and Milera who could all come in at a much lesser price and play a very similar role.

Trade Trade Trade.

It's an interesting view. Beech has never played at the level, Gore looks overrated, if that's possible for a mid-50's pick and neither have strung together 3 high quality games at the lower level. Whereas Lyons (and CEY) have strung a dozen good games together. Wigg has just started doing that, but again, us untested at the level. Knight and Milera should push past Thommo and Dougie if their lack of form holds and Hampton can replace Mackay. That leaves Lyons still in the side and Seed out, but with an empty injury list. If we're serious about a 2017 window, then it's keep, keep, keep.

Plus, having screwed him around with our super low ball, he'll be picking one club and we'll end up with a 3rd at best for him. We're unlikely to get his all time high value that you mentioned.

It's an interesting view. Beech has never played at the level, Gore looks overrated, if that's possible for a mid-50's pick and neither have strung together 3 high quality games at the lower level. Whereas Lyons (and CEY) have strung a dozen good games together. Wigg has just started doing that, but again, us untested at the level. Knight and Milera should push past Thommo and Dougie if their lack of form holds and Hampton can replace Mackay. That leaves Lyons still in the side and Seed out, but with an empty injury list. If we're serious about a 2017 window, then it's keep, keep, keep.

Plus, having screwed him around with our super low ball, he'll be picking one club and we'll end up with a 3rd at best for him. We're unlikely to get his all time high value that you mentioned.

Menzel or Seedsman could easily fill a void left by Lyons. And i am very confident Beech and Gore can perform at the level too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Menzel or Seedsman could easily fill a void left by Lyons. And i am very confident Beech and Gore can perform at the level too.

I'm not sure how you see that in Beech and Gore and if they could, then they'd be commanding the same coin anyway. Neither is close to CEY yet and he's a fair way behind Lyons as a footballer. Menzel could be ahead of everyone, hopefully next year. Seed I like, but I'm not convinced yet. Lyons gives us a different look in the stoppage with the way he can get the ball straight into an attacking position. Given more stoppage time, Thommo's or Dougies, I'd say he's got another level to go to yet.

A Hawks poster on the Draft board said he was only offered $175k. Surely that can't be right?

A Hawks poster on the Draft board said he was only offered $175k. Surely that can't be right?

TMS alluded to Lyons being happy if numbers being thrown around like $250k were correct. If that was to be right, then someone has either badly screwed up or they're actively wanting him out and pissed with us at the same time. Lyons has forced the selectors hands, but that doesn't mean it's changed his rating higher up the chain. The Ward article was interesting, low balled by the dogs and would have signed for $50k more, ultimately offerred about $70k more, but in the meantime agreed to terms with GWS at twice what he'd have signed for if offerred by the Dogs. I expect a similar situation would have occurred with Gunna.

I know I've often said you can't benchmark against Mackay and $400k, salary caps aren't $20m yet, but it just shows how much of a **** up that was if Lyons current form and future value is worth sub $200k for less years. Mackay's form lines had him in Hartlett territory in terms of being the definition of players who you don't provide long term security to. And we're not that flush with back up to Lyons;

CEY - might go, went ok at half forward, so not entirely a Thommo, inside mid or bench type, if he does stay.
Gore - not living up to considerable hype, not close yet, another year like this and at best he gets a Grigg type extension
Wigg - the closest, looks good, but whether his form translates is not known. Lyons makes good decisions with zero time and is sneaky in how he works around packs, Wigg may not execute without the time. Can he hit the scoreboard from half forward?
Grigg - gone one way or another
Dougie - possibly signed his last contract, is this year a bad one, or is he a player who will limp to 30?
Thommo - cooked and 1 year in him at a stretch. Swap 3 of Lyons for one Thommo, you'd have to be a moron to choose Thommo's 2017. Thommo's 2012 and it might be different answer.

In any case, the way to cashing in his newfound higher trade value is not to force him to look elsewhere courtesy of an insulting offer.

Last edited:

Gore isnt one to hang your hat on.

If that, or even $250k, is accurate; he should leave.

That would be an insult.

Maybe they gave him Thommo's contract by mistake?

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Jarryd Lyons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back