Toast Jarryd Lyons

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends what we got for him.

I see him as surplus to our needs. If you can get in something we need to improve our side it is a win.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

I agree, I just don't think he's surplus.

But none of Milera, Knight, Menzel, Wigg, Beech, Gore are a chance to be traded. All for different reasons.

My point was to look at who might be traded for some value - that's all.

Thommo will probably go back to Melbourne or spend the majority of 2017 in the 2's. Douglas might have some clubs interested in a 2 year deal (he turns 30 in Feb). Lyons would absolutely be a player that could be traded right now. It would suck if that was what happens to the guy - he rotted in the SANFL when (as he has shown) he could have prospered in the firsts ... but such is life in the AFL.

If we bring in a player over the trade period - and if we intend to do that it will be well and truly in motion already - which midfielders do you keep?

Locks - Sloane, BCrouch, MCrouch
Older Players, possible - Douglas, Thommo
Younger Players that have had limited exposure, possible - Lyons, CEY, Grigg
Younger Players that have had limited exposure, locks - Milera, Knight, Menzel

Just sayin he is a fair way down the list IF we bring in another high-end talented midfielder.

Agree with most but we must see the full picture, Lyons while good this year and Potentially next year, if all thing go to plan over the summer for the Crows he may struggle to get a game next year with competition for his spot. Where does he stand against Milera, Menzel, Knight, Atkin, CC, and Douglas these are guys that will put pressure on him.
Therefor his value may not be as high as we believe.
Yes it would be a shame to see him move on but as I said he one of the players that is in the, Bonus if he signs or can be a Bonus if he is traded. Not many in that group.
Question Wigg or Lyons and yes it may come do to that. I would not like to see any of them move but money getting tight.

If the money not right he move on if it OK he stays.

Anyone else think a late 2nd rounder (to replace what we lost in last years trades) may put us back in the picture to pick up Ben Jarman ahead of Hawthorn as a father son selection without having to use our 1st pick? Just a bit of food for thought...
Jarman in for lyons effectively is a terrible bit of list mgt

Agree with most but we must see the full picture, Lyons while good this year and Potentially next year, if all thing go to plan over the summer for the Crows he may struggle to get a game next year with competition for his spot. Where does he stand against Milera, Menzel, Knight, Atkin, CC, and Douglas these are guys that will put pressure on him.
Yes it would be a shame to see him move on but as I said he one of the players that is in the, Bonus if he signs or can be a Bonus if he is traded. Not many in that group.
Question Wigg or Lyons and yes it may come do to that. I would not like to see any of them move but money getting tight.

I would rae him ahead of all of those. Some have the potential to overtake him bit he is well ahead.
Thommo douglas and Mackay are the first 3 to take out of our side for those you mention imo

Has been our 3rd best mid this year, so is not that far down the list as some people would like to think. I don't know why people on here aren't rating him but you are watching a different game to me. Although the club don't seem to asher with me epithet lol.
The things that set him apart from most of our mids are hours GPS skills, ability to burst forward from a stoppage and deliver to forwards, and a regular goal kicker. All very damaging attributes
Also the assumption that this is die to salary cap squeeze is nonsense imo. Cap going up lots next year and we would have space from top players leaving

He's ahead of Douglas and none of the other guys plays inside.. so he isn't competing with any of them.

I would rate him ahead of all of those. Some have the potential to overtake him bit he is well ahead.
Thommo douglas and Mackay are the first 3 to take out of our side for those you mention imo

But does the list management team at Crows feel the same. remember both Douglas and Mackay still have 2 years, so they are not the problem, in regards to him signing on, They and the others can be an influence the value of his contract.
Thommo may be but I don't think what happens to Thommo contract either way has any barring to whether Lyons signs or not. they are not the same players, they play different roles, they both bring something different to the table.

Remember we are looking at 2017 and Milera, Menzel, Knight and even Wigg should play, will Lyons get a run in front of them, to me its 50/50 therefor affecting his contract value.

He's ahead of Douglas and none of the other guys plays inside.. so he isn't competing with any of them.
List management we are talking 2017 when Douglas, MacKay and yes Lyons will be competing with Menzel, Milera, Knights, Wigg, for a spot Then maybe add in Hampton, Smith and Seeds playing higher,
That is what they will be working on when discussing his value in dollar to the team

List management we are talking 2017 when Douglas, MacKay and yes Lyons will be competing with Menzel, Milera, Knights, Wigg, for a spot Then maybe add in Hampton, Smith and Seeds playing higher,
That is what they will be working on when discussing his value in dollar to the team

Your inside mids and outside mids do not directly compete with each other. midfielders aren't one size fits all.

Anyone else think a late 2nd rounder (to replace what we lost in last years trades) may put us back in the picture to pick up Ben Jarman ahead of Hawthorn as a father son selection without having to use our 1st pick? Just a bit of food for thought...

Isn't it a points based system with father/sons with a 20% discount ??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And it's not just Hawthorn who can put a bid in either??

Whoever Ben nominates as his father/son club of choice gets the first preference to match the bid if another team selects him. If his nominated club fails to do so another club who he would also have a father/son eligibility for gets the option. If no one bids then he goes to the club that actually picked him.

Honestly the entire thing is just a bit silly.. it was set up as a way for the Victorian clubs to get top end talent cheaply. If they actually valued the father/son aspect they'd just use their first pick to get the player.. but they want to have their cake and eat it too.

And it's not just Hawthorn who can put a bid in either??
One thing we will not use a 1st round on him note with the talent available out your way.
And with the eastern states potentially using the early draft picks on there own Academy picks Crows could be in for a top ten Vic SA or WA kid.

He's probably handy trade bait for AFC's bigger picture. Maybe could be part of Crows chasing a big fish (again) in which case I'd be all for it.

There has to be more to this than meets the eye.

The AFC is a closed shop these days under Fagan and you just can't get the info you could get pre-Fagan.

The one thing that is known is that Adelaide need to add a classy mid-fielder to its list to increase it's flag chances, but the club will not publicize who they're chasing until its either successful or not.

At the moment, one would think they're talking privately to Rockliff, or maybe even some other mid-fielder that even the media haven't twigged onto yet.

If we were to be successful, then we would have even more mid-fielders surplus to requirements - currently CEY and Grigg - plus the up and comers in Wigg, Greenwood, Milera and Menzel (all players with speed). This would probably mean we would keep CEY and trade Lyons (for value) and Grigg.

If not successful in getting another quality mid-fielder then they may well keep Lyons by upping the offer to him to what a fair offer should be.

IMO it might just be a stalling tactic until the dust settles and they know what they will or won't have, knowing that they have time because Lyons wants to stay in Adelaide.

From the current side;

Out - Thommo - in - Seedsman - we're inside heavy and Lyons can play more stoppage time which us his strength.
Out - Dougie - in - Menzel - Menz the better half forward, can have the odd stint in the middle, but Lyons, Sloane and the Crouches are the prime movers in there
Out - Mackay - in - Milera - Milera will become a very good inside/outside type. Not stoppage inside, that role just outside which we see Mackay being very average at

From your list, that leaves Knight out, which is an error, but the point is that except him, all the guts you listed are in the side with Lyons. Amongst them is the flexibility to cover injuries or poor form. At worst, Lyons is the next man in when there's an injury, he's well ahead right now of both Thommo and Dougie for a midfield or midfield support role.

Has been our 3rd best mid this year, so is not that far down the list as some people would like to think. I don't know why people on here aren't rating him but you are watching a different game to me. Although the club don't seem to asher with me epithet lol.
The things that set him apart from most of our mids are hours GPS skills, ability to burst forward from a stoppage and deliver to forwards, and a regular goal kicker. All very damaging attributes
Also the assumption that this is die to salary cap squeeze is nonsense imo. Cap going up lots next year and we would have space from top players leaving
If he is our 3rd best inside mid (he might be better than that) ... and we add in a trade that pushes him to 4th, where dos that leave him? Back in the SANFL as back up?

He is definitely a good AFL player, but if he isn't needed at AFC and is traded to another club it would not be an awful result for either party. Life would go on. Players on the fringe spend their entire career in this space.

I do think that once Hampton gets his fitness up to speed he will be a regular 22. His potential to play off the half-back line and in the middle would be very very useful. Add-in Milera as an outside mid, Wigg's progression and even Gore taking steps forward and all of a sudden the spots are getting very tight.

I do agree that the first 3 players that should be on the chopping block are Mackay, Thommo, and Douglas ... but the reality that Lyons might go back to being a backup player in 2017 must come into calculations with his next contract / as should his worth as a backup when compared to a trade.

<snip>This would probably mean we would keep CEY and trade Lyons (for value) and Grigg.

Agree with most of this Macca, but Grigg is only on a one year deal isn't he - can walk for nothing if we don;t offer him a new contract (which we won't)? I actually don't think he has any trade value anyway.

If you add in Ricky Henderson and Thommo as leaving through unrestricted free agency - who is left to trade? No-one is going near Mackay, Douglas might be included as part of a multi-deal to a young team, not sure who else is a potential?

...Honestly the entire thing is just a bit silly.. it was set up as a way for the Victorian clubs to get top end talent cheaply. If they actually valued the father/son aspect they'd just use their first pick to get the player.. but they want to have their cake and eat it too.

But sometimes (like this case) the player isn't First Round quality. So it needs to allow for the player to have his worth determined by what other clubs would pay.

But sometimes (like this case) the player isn't First Round quality. So it needs to allow for the player to have his worth determined by what other clubs would pay.

Either you value the father/son loyalty and take them with a pick higher than you normally would.. or you don't because you're a professional sports team and let them go.

Father/son is using the veil of sentimentality to advantage certain sides in a cutthroat, professional environment.

From the current side;

Out - Thommo - in - Seedsman - we're inside heavy and Lyons can play more stoppage time which us his strength.
Out - Dougie - in - Menzel - Menz the better half forward, can have the odd stint in the middle, but Lyons, Sloane and the Crouches are the prime movers in there
Out - Mackay - in - Milera - Milera will become a very good inside/outside type. Not stoppage inside, that role just outside which we see Mackay being very average at

From your list, that leaves Knight out, which is an error, but the point is that except him, all the guts you listed are in the side with Lyons. Amongst them is the flexibility to cover injuries or poor form. At worst, Lyons is the next man in when there's an injury, he's well ahead right now of both Thommo and Dougie for a midfield or midfield support role.

You may be right but at this time what is his value to the Club, On the white board today, Justin Reid white board for 2017.
Even with Thommo , Douglas and MacKay outs that still leaves as you said Knight, then we get a preseason from maybe Wigg ( he has not re-sign yet), Gore, Beech, Don't forget CEY, plus a Possible Draft or Trade, maybe a Greenwood, Doedee, Hampton, all these players will either put pressure on the current team, Some may even allow the Crows to move a Smith or Laird into the Middle.
That is what will affect contract negotiations re dollar value. How much does Justin Reid rate him in 2017.
As I said with Lyons we can be in a win if he signs or possibly a win if he is Traded.
Here an answer to all, Trade for a top Class Mid, with pick 1 and Lyons, that then puts Thommo out and Knight in for Lyons

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Jarryd Lyons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back