Traded Jason Horne-Francis [to Port Adelaide in multi-club trade]

Remove this Banner Ad

Are GWS looking to use picks 3, 12, 15, 18 and 19 purely for the draft? Or do they want to get some players in via trade?

Maybe we could upgrade pick 33 or 43 for one those later picks and offer up Byrne-Jones or Bonner?

We genuinely need to trade away a player for 2nd round. Can't see it happening another way.

Hayes, Drew, Bonner, DBJ, Farrell. DBJ with most value in that lot perhaps as an All-Australian and club BnF although he was off it best this year. I know he just resigned but yeah either him or Drew

In all seriousness North have actually done fine out of this deal. So have West Coast. GWS showed up, bent over and handed over the lube to make it work for everyone else, and I salute them for it.
Yeah I think north have done well. What more can you hope for to get for a player that wants out than a similar pick + a future 1st on top. That’s a good deal.

Also west coast, despite people knocking them to get out of pick 2 and the private school vic boys and into hewett territory , whose not far behind, if at all those vic boys plus get another pick. That’s good for them.

Ports given up a lot, but the fact we get future 2nds and 3rds back helps a lot,

In the end rozee butters jhf Bergman sinn to look forward too in our midfield.

I really rate that group of players as a future midfield. High end young talent there.

Everyone is seeing this as a binary decision.

He stays at North and living in Melbourne or he goes to Port.

I think there's a 3rd path that works for North and works for JHF if they're both prepared to be a bit unorthodox and patient.

North and JHF go to the AFL and get permission to play for South Adelaide in the SANFL. North still pay him his minimum draftee deal. South Adelaide pay him SANFL money. He starts an apprenticeship or study. They hire a personal trainer to top up his SANFL trainings.

And he's available to come to North for as long as he feels like through the year. Hopefully that means at least a few weeks over preseason and then a block of training then games during the year.

There's certainly a risk that he still asks for a trade, and there's a risk that he devalues himself, but how much by? The talent will still be there and on full display in the SANFL. Much like it was with Stengle. He won't be a free agent, he'd have to have a heap go wrong to be worth less than an early first if not a similar amount than he is now.

Oh My God Wow GIF by reactionseditor

Two first rounders, 8 and a future 1st, doesn't seem too bad to me.

Sucks to lose the first ever #1 pick the club has had, after just one year, but that's modern day North for you.

If Port finish 8th next year, the future first works out to what, around pick 11 or 12 or something like that?

Let's be real, we will end up somewhere near the bottom as well, so that will mean another draft with two picks inside the top 12.

That will follow picks 1 and 8 this year. Four top 12 players within the space of two drafts.

How many more of the best young players in the country do we need? That should be enough.

A lot of North fans seem deluded about how this deal will play out. 8 + future first is not that bad.
Great post. Very realistic outcome.

I want Georgiades. He's the one we need, a tall mobile marking forward who can slot right in. We're alright for mids.
I want LDU, but much like Georgiades he's not going to be involved in this trade either.

Two first rounders is the currency for an A grade, top of the line mid with All Australian nominations and the like.

This would be a generous offer for JHF. With all the toxicity surrounding the club, you cannot under any circumstances have him on the list next year. He obviously has some entitlement issues and North have obviously lacked strong leaders to manage this. It really is a matter of cutting your loses and moving on.

For all we know JHF could be playing bush league in 3 years. He strikes me as a serious red flag off the field and culturally within a club.

Would Adelaide take pick 27 for Matt Crouch?

Nth could be a good fit for him if he’s not going to get any game time at Adelaide going forward. Still has something to offer and can offer another mature body in the middle for North.

Pick 8, future first and Crouch to Nth
JHF to Port
Pick 27 to Ade
No, we don't need a mediocre midfielder

Not Bad Kind Of GIF by MOODMAN

But really... the offer was:

IN
2021 Pick 4 (2,034pts)
2022 Adelaide F1 (turned out to be 5 - 1,878pts)
2022 Melb F1 (turned out to be 14 - 1,161pts)
TOTAL: 5073pts

OUT
2021 Pick 1 (3000pts)
2022 NM F2 (turned out to be 19 - 948pts)
TOTAL: 3948pts

DIFFERENCE: NM receive net benefit of 1125 pts - equivalent to pick 15.

Now lets take a cold numeric look at the value of offer we want from Port now:

If we get Pick 8 (1,551pts) and Port's F1... let's say they repeat this year's performance... that's 3102 pts.

If you add someone like Bergman - a fmr pick 14 (1,161pts) - then there's not a great deal of numeric difference between this and the value of the Adelaide offer as far as North is concerned.
Interesting but if we are using hindsight of knowing where those picks landed would Adelaide have made the offer and would North have accepted? Adding in CCJ output this year I think North would absolutely have taken that deal.

What would the points difference be if Adelaide finished 10th and Melbourne won the premiership?

This thread would be 10 times more intelligent and constructive if the mods just instantly threadbanned anybody who makes a post with the word Butters in it.

".....The Kangaroos could ask for Josh Sinn, Zak Butters, Xavier Duursma or Miles Bergman as part of a deal, although Butters alone would be closer to the value of Horne-Francis....."

I mean, when even the parochial Vic media can see this, you know you've got less than zero hope.

Two first rounders and an established player, for a kid who sulked it up and has done SFA so far in his pro career?

Delusional.

If Port agree to such a deal then they are more of a basketcase than the NMFC right now.
Maybe north package up some picks back to port in such a trade (2 × 2023 2nds?) Could be a chance for north to really get in the ear of one of ports better youngsters with a big contract offer to soften the loss of JHF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

".....The Kangaroos could ask for Josh Sinn, Zak Butters, Xavier Duursma or Miles Bergman as part of a deal, although Butters alone would be closer to the value of Horne-Francis....."

I mean, when even the parochial Vic media can see this, you know you've got less than zero hope.

What do you see as fair for a contracted JHF if North say it must involve a best 22 kid?

They sure did we offered pick 4 and 14 and future 1st which became pick 5.

Pick 4 became 6 due to FS but we picked up Rochele Dawson and Rankine with those picks.

Just gotta convince Georgiades to come

Should be easy at the moment
Why would it be easy to convince Georgiades to move to a rabble of a club?

He would head home to WA if looking to move.

Its pretty clear to me Port should be made do pick 8, F1, 27, Butters and Georgiades and maybe pay a million dollar "damaging the very fibres of equalisation as we know it" fine so that Trade Radio can move onto getting ready for the reigning premiers to recruit two top 12 picks back to Victoria for a pick in the 60s. You know, the way a trade period is supposed to go.

8, F1 and we'll be generous and chuck in a sweetener that definitely isn't Butters or Marshall but won't be Georgiades, Duursma, Sinn or Bergman either and let's just move on here.

2 1st rounders for a guy who got dropped by the bottom team, and who does not want to be there and we have calls to throw in a player who is actually better and a proven AFL player like Butters. **** me, never change Bigfooty.

I know North need to be seen to be trying to get massive overs because the optics of your number 1 pick leaving after one season is bad. But hopefully common sense prevails because 2 1st rounders is more than suitable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jason Horne-Francis [to Port Adelaide in multi-club trade]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back